LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Mar 11, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #5,041 of 5,225
Anyone have any experience taking apart the A4? My left monitor has recently gotten quieter specifically in the upper range. If it isn't too risky I'd love to do it myself rather than send it back to China for 2 months.

I experienced the same on my right monitor a week ago. Tried changing front filter for another and it worked (as comented before, I think this could be due to humidity).
The thing is, with filter out in a dry ambient, it was working flawless when I tried it again 30 minutes later, so I don't think this is a warranty issue.

O the other hand, I had issues with mmcx connector when trying different cables (due to mmcx connectors design), but found how to solve it too. When I find that one connection is loosy, I open the washer a bit, very carefully with a needle or something with a fine point (washer is like a copper ring that surrounds the cable connector on the outside). This way, I have pretty decent firm connection and did not have necessity to adjust it again from last time (I only do it after several cable tests, to grant fine connection again between cable and moitors and only if needed).

Finally, an update if someone is interested in my opinion: This IEMs are fantastic once you are used to them (burning or whatever). The sound is amazing, but I found my "OMG" after 60+ hours and after doing some eq (I don't believe that the best possible sound comes no EQ). I think that filters give a base sound and eq is needed, depending on usual listening volumes and source (music genre and file quality). Especially when comparing sound dense tracks with others from artists like Vangelis, Kenji Kawai, Enigma, Dido...

Regarding no back filter option, I don't like A4s this way. I find the sound uncontrolled, and ended using pure black (black filters) + eq. having now, for my tastes, the best sound I listened from this IEMs. Very, very happy with them and happier, if possible, with their incredible sound (using Pioneer's CH9T cable + tips).

Mar 11, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #5,042 of 5,225
Could be a moisture build up. There's 2-3 reported cases. I left mine unused for a day and a half. Then back to good as new.
Haven't happened since

I left mine alone for nearly 5 days. I originally would have an issue where I'd go to bed with them sounding great then wake up with the left IEM much quieter, but this has gone away. My issue is a little different I fear.

I'll do some more testing to determine the issue. It can't be cable or source because I've tested different sources and this cable is brand new and the issue wew also present on previous cable.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #5,044 of 5,225
Today I used them for 20min. under moderate rain (no rain protection, only jumping from cover to cover xD) and had no issues.
On the other hand, when I had the problem, just sweated in a crowded subway wagon, so maybe internal moisture affects more (if it really is a moisture issue).

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #5,045 of 5,225
Long time lurker here, basically only posting when I need to replace a broken pair in order to save my wallet.. :dt880smile: Just wanted to share that I picked up a pair through Aliexpress to replace my Ortofon EQ-5 / JVC FXT 90 (from a seller who shall not be named, though to his respect I must admit that based on this order he is probably the best seller from China I have encountered to date..). Out of the box impressions (using black/black, black/grey, black/blue) are rather overwhelming. Imaging, seperation, soundstage, detail, resolution.. it's all there unlike anything I have owned before. Hearing things I never heard before and I have not had such an upgrade in audio since moving from muddy Sony in-ears (EX70) to Shure E2c's. (welcome detail), to Sennheiser IE7 (welcome soundstage). So far for diminishing returns, simply incredible. Given the high praise (and ironically higher price bracket) of the EQ-5, I was not at all expecting this. Not trying to hype as YMMV, but to my ears they are very capable.

What I like most is that its soundstage reminds me of (and by memory surpasses) my Sennheiser IE7, but without the veil. Bass is really visceral and precise and it all sounds very coherent. Still need to do some tweaking and get used to the different sound signatures though. The EQ-5 has very forward mids, so in comparison the LZ A4 comes across a little more distant. They have more energy though, but looking for a bit of balance there. Speaking of energy, the FXT90 gives a nice edge to electric guitars. This makes them - to my ears - even more energetic for hard rock / metal. The LZ A4 is a more capable IEM, however, on all accounts so I am pretty sure this will come down to fitler changing / tip rolling / and - God forbid - EQ in Foobar if everything else fails.

Will post more detailed impressions. Any advice on bringing mids a bit more forward / energising these for fast paced metal is much appreciated.

Mar 16, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #5,046 of 5,225
Long time lurker here, basically only posting when I need to replace a broken pair in order to save my wallet.. :dt880smile: Just wanted to share that I picked up a pair through Aliexpress to… .

Will post more detailed impressions. Any advice on bringing mids a bit more forward / energising these for fast paced metal is much appreciated.
You should probably list which filter choices you're using and what tips when asking for help like this. That way people will have a baseline to operate from. For example if you're using the most restrictive filters just suggesting you try the more open sounding ones might be useful. However if those are the filters you're using its not helpful at all.

Mar 17, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #5,047 of 5,225
Long time lurker here, basically only posting when I need to replace a broken pair in order to save my wallet.. :dt880smile: Just wanted to share that I picked up a pair through Aliexpress to replace my Ortofon EQ-5 / JVC FXT 90 (from a seller who shall not be named, though to his respect I must admit that based on this order he is probably the best seller from China I have encountered to date..). Out of the box impressions (using black/black, black/grey, black/blue) are rather overwhelming. Imaging, seperation, soundstage, detail, resolution.. it's all there unlike anything I have owned before. Hearing things I never heard before and I have not had such an upgrade in audio since moving from muddy Sony in-ears (EX70) to Shure E2c's. (welcome detail), to Sennheiser IE7 (welcome soundstage). So far for diminishing returns, simply incredible. Given the high praise (and ironically higher price bracket) of the EQ-5, I was not at all expecting this. Not trying to hype as YMMV, but to my ears they are very capable.

What I like most is that its soundstage reminds me of (and by memory surpasses) my Sennheiser IE7, but without the veil. Bass is really visceral and precise and it all sounds very coherent. Still need to do some tweaking and get used to the different sound signatures though. The EQ-5 has very forward mids, so in comparison the LZ A4 comes across a little more distant. They have more energy though, but looking for a bit of balance there. Speaking of energy, the FXT90 gives a nice edge to electric guitars. This makes them - to my ears - even more energetic for hard rock / metal. The LZ A4 is a more capable IEM, however, on all accounts so I am pretty sure this will come down to fitler changing / tip rolling / and - God forbid - EQ in Foobar if everything else fails.

The pink nozzle will help you to bring the mids forward and make the sound more balance , A4 will really shine after 200 hours of burn-in,

Mar 17, 2018 at 4:36 AM Post #5,048 of 5,225
Why not make it a thousand hours. Really get that imaginary burn_in result happening :)

Mar 17, 2018 at 5:44 AM Post #5,049 of 5,225
You should probably list which filter choices you're using and what tips when asking for help like this. That way people will have a baseline to operate from. For example if you're using the most restrictive filters just suggesting you try the more open sounding ones might be useful. However if those are the filters you're using its not helpful at all.

Good point, I was looking for early suggestions. In all fairness, it was actually in my post:

[...] Out of the box impressions (using black/black, black/grey, black/blue) [...]

The pink nozzle will help you to bring the mids forward and make the sound more balance , A4 will really shine after 200 hours of burn-in,

Thanks! Have not had a go at the pink and greens yet, so will make sure to try. Tried the red backs real quick. Impactful bass, though I'll go back to black backs for now as I prefer the micro detail presentation there. Can imagine people like the red backs though.

Why not make it a thousand hours. Really get that imaginary burn_in result happening :)

Yes, not a big believer of burn-in beyond the initial out-of-box couple of hours. Never hurts though, so I'll keep them hooked up to my DAP while I'm not listening to them. :beyersmile:

Mar 17, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #5,050 of 5,225
Good point, I was looking for early suggestions. In all fairness, it was actually in my post:

Thanks! Have not had a go at the pink and greens yet, so will make sure to try. Tried the red backs real quick. Impactful bass, though I'll go back to black backs for now as I prefer the micro detail presentation there. Can imagine people like the red backs though.

Yes, not a big believer of burn-in beyond the initial out-of-box couple of hours. Never hurts though, so I'll keep them hooked up to my DAP while I'm not listening to them. :beyersmile:
Yikes, I read your post looking for that info before I wrote my post since I received mine reasonably recently and was going to chime in with suggestions but then couldn't find which filter setup you were using. Chalk it up to trying to do more than 1 thing at a time.

You might want to play with the pink. With the black back it may bring everything but bass too far down so might go better with the blue if you don't miss the sub bass.

I'll also suggest tip rolling. Something wide bore. The KZ Whirlwind or Tennmak Whirlwind are my favorites. The Tennmak is available via Amazon Prime with a nice larger than the typical included clam shell zippered case for $10 and 9 pairs of tips 3x S, M and L if that applies for you. They're cheaper to buy from Aliexpress.com but will take longer to get. On Ali the KZ run about $2 for 6 pair 2x S, M and L, just spend the few bucks for e-packet shipping. The Ali sellers are also good about special requests so if you know the size you need you can drop the cost by asking for just 1 size or even half of 1 and half of another. I just got 18 pairs of Tennmak 9 M 9 L for $17 with e-packet and got them 8 days after I ordered.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #5,051 of 5,225
Yikes, I read your post looking for that info before I wrote my post since I received mine reasonably recently and was going to chime in with suggestions but then couldn't find which filter setup you were using. Chalk it up to trying to do more than 1 thing at a time.

You might want to play with the pink. With the black back it may bring everything but bass too far down so might go better with the blue if you don't miss the sub bass.

No worries, no need to apologise. I didn't mention the tips I've been using though. I tend to use Sennheiser double flanges on everything, as I get a great seal with them and they are rather wide bore. I get good results for most IEMs, though the double flange supplied with the A4 seems to give me a bit more of a precise sound.

Been playing around with the green and pink filters, both using the blue and black backs. Indeed, they bring forward the mids. Especially the green nozzles push the mids forward for me. Downside is that I lose that black/black soundstage and bright micro detail, which I am really enjoying. Might be that I am looking for a compromise that does not exist, as i.e. perception of soundstage is also highly related to the FR curve. For now, I am back to black/black, but comforting to know I can bring in mids if I feel the urge.

I'll also suggest tip rolling. Something wide bore. The KZ Whirlwind or Tennmak Whirlwind are my favorites. The Tennmak is available via Amazon Prime with a nice larger than the typical included clam shell zippered case for $10 and 9 pairs of tips 3x S, M and L if that applies for you. They're cheaper to buy from Aliexpress.com but will take longer to get. On Ali the KZ run about $2 for 6 pair 2x S, M and L, just spend the few bucks for e-packet shipping. The Ali sellers are also good about special requests so if you know the size you need you can drop the cost by asking for just 1 size or even half of 1 and half of another. I just got 18 pairs of Tennmak 9 M 9 L for $17 with e-packet and got them 8 days after I ordered.

Will definitely look into them, thanks!

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5,052 of 5,225
I am devastated! My lz a4s broke down
The left earpiece just started making cracking noises and went quiet. I tried different cables but nothing changed :frowning2: I always had them in a case and took great care of them!
Thankfully I bought then from amazon and I got full refund. But, now I am stuck with just my kz zs6, which are great earphones, but I want better audio quality... Any ideas anyone? I did a small research on amazon and found some interesting candidates.
1) fiio f9 pro
2) magaosi k3 pro
3) pioneer ch9t
4) mee audio p1
Are any of these worthy competitors to the lz a4? Anything else you can recommend? Should I wait to see if kz will bring something better or should I buy something now? I am so confused! Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
Anyone else here experienced problems with the lz a4? I so wanted to get the lz a5 but now I am a bit sceptical

Mar 18, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #5,053 of 5,225
Maybe isn't as refined in terms of soundstage or separation, but I moved over to the iBasso IT01 and quite enjoy it. The bass response on the A4 is deeper, punchier and louder, but the mids and treble response on the IT01 is more even keel, more dare I say neutral. Plus, it will work with all your MMCX cables, isolates better, and it's $100 less!

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2018 at 5:47 PM Post #5,054 of 5,225
Maybe isn't as refined in terms of soundstage or separation, but I moved over to the iBasso IT01 and quite enjoy it. The bass response on the A4 is deeper, punchier and louder, but the mids and treble response on the IT01 is more even keel, more dare I say neutral. Plus, it will work with all your MMCX cables, isolates better, and it's $100 less!
Thanks for the reply unfortunately I can't find them in amazon, and because I have a gift card I can't buy from elsewhere :frowning2:

Mar 18, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #5,055 of 5,225
Thanks for the reply unfortunately I can't find them in amazon, and because I have a gift card I can't buy from elsewhere :frowning2:

Amp3 are the uk stockist for the it01 (and 3). They are out of stock atm but list it as back in stock on the 20/03/18. Usually pretty accurate and list on amazon as third party fulfilled by. Not sure but think you should be able to use the gift card that way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back