LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 7, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5,026 of 5,225
I'm sure you're right. I can say that they already sound better than first listening. I think due to mental adaptation after some hours of intense listening and better tip selection (after trying 30+ tips, I'm loving again the MA750i double flange tips, which I used with CH9T too).
Yeah physical burn in + mental adaptions the A4 will grow on day by day + this iem need some practice to wear it properly and get better seal ,

Feb 7, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #5,027 of 5,225
Hello! Today, finally, I've received my A4s! ^^
First of all, this is NOT a review. I want only share SOUND first impressions and I'm just doing it in case it's helpful to someone.
I'm not going to talk about case, presentation, cable, tips... either. That has already been widely commented.

Well, after doing some tip rolling (looking for most stable/comfortable pair, and leaving sound on second term for now), tried Red (back)+Blue (front) filters (max. frequency range) and compared roughly (not physically) with my other IEMs (Pioneer CH9T, Audio Technica CKS77X, RHA MA750i, JVC HA-FXT90...)
I've been listening to them only for about 60min. and must try cables, tips and filter combinations yet, so these are my very first impressions.

First of all, I've been not blown away by them at first listening, like other people.
Listening to CH9T for the last months, has left the bar high and there's not so much difference (although I would say that A4s are a bit better in most aspects, specially in mid/high freqs).

Bass, for me, clearly demands better seal than my other IEMs. Although there's no lack of bass (at all) when good seal is achieved, I feel that, when the seal is less than perfect, bass loses presence more quickly than with my other IEMs (and music is less full and, obviously, a lot more plain and cold). Don't know for sure if this "seal dependence" has something to do with semi-open design or IEMs weight, but you really need a good seal with these.
On the other hand, mids and highs are clear and defined. Some cimbals that were hard to listen with other IEMs are there more present but, in some songs, I find that there's a light metallic sound reminiscence painting higher quarter of freq. spectrum (and this, for me, turns voices less warm and more artificial... But I'm sure that this will be easily fixable with right tips/filters).

Regarding frequency range, A4s extend very well from lows to highs, having good separation of frequencies and instruments.

... Being honest, I feel that proper tips and filters, plus hardware (or mental) burn-in, will turn them into my daily IEMs easily. If compared in a couple of words to CH9T (my most used IEM's until now) I'd say that I can hear "more things" from 1KHz onwards range, that bass is a little bit less prominent (but very close one to the other, when using RED back filter) and, that sound, is more open and airy specially on its upper freq range. Don't find them to be the most comfortable IEMs of the world, but I weared them easily over and under the ear, without issues. Simply, they don't "disappear" like others (e.g. Advanced S2000, which I own too).

And at this point, I was about to finish this post but, now, want to share a new experience with them too...

The thing is, a couple of hours ago, I tried to invert cables (because I usually wear IEMs over the ear and always try all possible options) but, then, when connected cable terminations inverted to the IEMs, the left one didn't sound. At all. Tried again in the original configuration and the sound was back only if I held it with my fingers. forcing internal contact someway.
Then, when trying adjustment quality carefully with my fingers (it seemed to be a physical issue), I found that the "small tube that encircles the central stud of the coaxial connection" (as said, the golden, central mini-tube in the IEM body), was a bit opened (It is not made in one piece, but in two semi-cylinders) and the stud had no contact with it (you can see it in attached pict). The connection did not fit well and I could move and shake it in an exaggerated way (being connected) so, with lots of care, I closed the two halves of the central connection tube in the IEM and, now, it seems to be perfect again and, connection and sound, seem to be rock-solid.
This lead me to think that the golden metal, used to make the IEM connectors, may be too soft (only because never happened before and I'm very careful with all this stuff, but not sure).

Anyway, I hope this will help if someone has the same problem.

EDIT: Added pict

Just thought I'd let you know that you do not need to invert the cables to use the IEM's over the ear. They're designed to be used both ways.

Since you're using the Red back filter, I'm guessing you're a fan of bass. I suggest you try NO back filter and see if you enjoy that.

The Blue front filter is a little harsh on treble in my opinion (although I'm pretty sensitive). The metallic sound you're hearing could be lessened by the Red, Black, or Gray front filters (which I enjoy), so I highly recommend you try out all the filters to find your perfect sound.

Loving my LZ-A4!!!

Feb 7, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #5,028 of 5,225
I will be returning my a5s I have a copper and silver crystal plated 8 core aftermarket cable available if anyone is interested pm

It looks just like the one posted above, very high quality, I ship USA only though

Edit comes with the wood cable case B3968046-A63C-4ED7-A347-C4D4299578AC.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #5,029 of 5,225
I will be returning my a5s I have a copper and silver crystal plated 8 core aftermarket cable available if anyone is interested pm

It looks just like the one posted above, very high quality, I ship USA only though

Edit comes with the wood cable case
may i ask you why are you returning your A5 , are you not satisfied with the sound quality of A5,???

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:40 PM Post #5,032 of 5,225
Tried both and i prefer the spiral dots to the spinfits. The bass seems to be a tad stronger on the spiral dots although the spinfits are more comfortable.

+1 on the spiral dots. I must say that they are an essential companion to the A4.

I found them more comfortable than the spinfits but everyone's ears are different. My ears are small and I ran them a bit larger than usual to get a good outer seal.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #5,035 of 5,225
Is that the approximate $55 dollar one? What do you think of it?
Yes, it is that one ,
as in appearance it looks beautiful and build quality is excellent and it definitely leaves some effects on the sound as with black+black combination the sound feels bit weighty or thicker specially the bass and vocals ,

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #5,039 of 5,225
Anyone have any experience taking apart the A4? My left monitor has recently gotten quieter specifically in the upper range. If it isn't too risky I'd love to do it myself rather than send it back to China for 2 months.

Mar 11, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #5,040 of 5,225
Anyone have any experience taking apart the A4? My left monitor has recently gotten quieter specifically in the upper range. If it isn't too risky I'd love to do it myself rather than send it back to China for 2 months.

Could be a moisture build up. There's 2-3 reported cases. I left mine unused for a day and a half. Then back to good as new.
Haven't happened since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back