LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 3, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #3,886 of 5,225

I put on my pair today after showering and noticed the exact thing you described after a bit of listening, one side had much less bass than the other. I put them under a light blow drier for 15 minutes with the filters removed and now they are back to normal.

I haven't tried mine since I took them off on Saturday afternoon, but I suspect that either heat or humidity caused the issue.
Hopefully it's not a condition that is weakening / damaging the dynamic driver.

Apr 3, 2017 at 10:36 PM Post #3,887 of 5,225
@Share2Care
I would look at foam tips and there are many good options that are not as expensive as Comply. The foam tips tend to help low end and tame any brightness to higher frequencies if your treble sensitive

For silicone tips, I am preferential to
Spiral dots-nice wide bore and good quality silicone that are very comfortable. With a good seal with the correct size they give nice soundstage, good bass and high end
Spinfit- very comfortable and they flex in the ear canal to help with seal and provide a little boost to low and high end.
Some feel the mids get a bit recessed.

Many others like Auvio tips from radioshack in the US-wide bore silicon tip and various silicon tips from Chinese manufacturers.

Apr 3, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #3,888 of 5,225
Good Evening Peeps.

Just before I press the trigger on getting a pair of the LZ-A4, I just wanted to check that these will satisy my needs for a variety of frequencies including bass and its family as looking to play plenty of Electronic Dance Music and at least 12 genres beneath that EDM banner. 

Can you get better for a similar amount? Many of my tracks incorporate various vocals, instrumentals so bass has its place, required when a tune drops, but not at the sacrifice of my overall sonic experience!

Everything is a balance, a compromise so help and advice would be great :)

Thanks for your help!

Ah I love edm music as well and i personally like red/red combination. They call me an abnormal basshead. I tend to hate treble but for certain edm music i may love to have treble instead. red/blue may suit you better, creating a fun v-shape sound signature.

Personally i find lz a4 works especially great for edm music so I think you're fine.

Edit: Instead of using foam tips[ i dont like it coz i have oily ears], i use these to increase bass effects. These are kz starline eartips which you can buy from aliexpress

It is true tho for extreme bassheads, especially if you play at low volume, the bass quantity feels lacking and you may feel like eq it or increase volume.

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #3,889 of 5,225
Hey guys. A few of you conspired to get a pair of LZ-A4 to me. Thanks!

I've been listening to them for about a week or so, bouncing around between the black and red backs & nozzles. Sound is good. Smooth and easy to listen to. I'm still figuring out which combination I prefer that finds a good balance between easy, smooth listening and a bit of excitement.

Looking back to the beginning of the thread, I'm left wishing LZ had gone with the original design which was reminiscent of the LZ-A2 which weekend well for me. The more recent LZ flagships (LZ-A3 and LZ-A4) leave me wondering why LZ is more concerned with making cool looking IEM rather than making comfortable IEM. If these were a more conventional shape (barrel or Shure/Westone), they be an easy recommendation. However, I do find them ergonomically challenging. They're not as bad as something like the Dunu DN2002 (which are a terrible design for me), but they're not very stable in my ears and tend to break seal easily. LZ-A2 were much better in this respect IMHO.

I'll be back latest with more thoughts on these. For now, I've got to go play with the Lime Ears demo kit. Poor me...

Apr 4, 2017 at 1:48 AM Post #3,890 of 5,225
Looking back to the beginning of the thread, I'm left wishing LZ had gone with the original design which was reminiscent of the LZ-A2 which weekend well for me. The more recent LZ flagships (LZ-A3 and LZ-A4) leave me wondering why LZ is more concerned with making cool looking IEM rather than making comfortable IEM. 

Nik, great to see you here.

In terms of the design, there was a huge demand of detachable cable option from the A4 prototype reviewers, that's why LZ added a plastic shell for MMCX connector surrounding the original metallic shell. I was at first quite skeptical about the ergonomics of this design, but it turned out to be fine.

The shape of A3 can also be explained by the need of space putting the mmcx connector. Internally speaking, A2, A3 and A4 are the same, all the drivers are put in the canal.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #3,891 of 5,225
nmatheis- hey, this is what the community is all about. Figured, I wouldn't let a pal miss out on something like the LZ-A4! I figured if we're all gonna broke, we might as well go altogether. lol

Could you do me a favor since you have the Opus#1? could you provide a comparison between going balanced vs. single ended going through the Alo Rx???

heck, my penon order got delayed or something. I'm even plugging my Zen 2.0 through the Alo amp just to kill time! lol, it's really good as an amp playing around with the soundstage (depth and cleanliness and all)...

yes, I have you to blame for this third DAP! I'm still using the Shanling M3 for my jazz collection (superb blackness and highs). I recommend you try the Grey front, and maybe the green and red ones too. you'll likely find something sweet in the process...

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #3,892 of 5,225
duyu: LZ-A4 will be a good ergonomic fit for many people. I'm just not one of them. The shape/size of the earpiece combined with the straight nozzle means I'm readjusting one or the other earpieces fairly often which is distracting. Personally, I'd rather have a really durable fixed cable and improved ergonomics vs compromised ergonomics and a detachable cable. I think there's a bit too much emphasis on detachable cables but I'm probably an outlier in that respect.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #3,894 of 5,225
I too get partial loss of sound after a couple hours. Yes it is to do with moisture, for a long time thought it was just my ears, have always had this with pretty much every earphone (using filters). Just had a quick look and the black tips i've been using do have filters in them.

For those with similar issues, i suggest trying blue or green tips as they don't have filters, just wipe away every couple hours.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #3,895 of 5,225
@duyu: LZ-A4 will be a good ergonomic fit for many people. I'm just not one of them. The shape/size of the earpiece combined with the straight nozzle means I'm readjusting one or the other earpieces fairly often which is distracting. Personally, I'd rather have a really durable fixed cable and improved ergonomics vs compromised ergonomics and a detachable cable. I think there's a bit too much emphasis on detachable cables but I'm probably an outlier in that respect.

Detachable cable is easily one of the most important features of an IEM! If you use something regularly the cable gets damaged, corrodes and the connector's coating falls off. After less than a month of use the stock cable on the LZ-A4 is showing signs of wear near the bottom of the cable and the jack.

Also add the fact that some people prefer having a microphone and volume control on their cable (which is different for android and apple devices), different lengths so you don't have extra cable sticking out, and different jacks (like 2.5mm trrs).

Then you also have the change in signature that various cables can give you for BA low impedance monitors.

Needles to say I wouldn't have bought the LZ-A4 if they not had an attached cable. I think it looks really good with a unique shape that I can wear down when I am in home/office when you are not moving but still want to be able to quickly remove them. I can also wear them outside and store them in my jacket or pocket without worrying all the time about how the jack is bending because I can not replace the cable.

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #3,896 of 5,225
I personally love Black back/Pink front.  The Bass is very good and I imagine even better with the Red back(but too much for me).  Vocals in my opinion are forward, clear and toward the front of your head with Black/Pink combo.  Most feel the soundstage is more intimate and not as spacious.
Black/Black is excellent as well. Vocals are a bit more recessed(feel in my head rather than slightly outside and to the front).  Soundstage is more spacious.  Very nice combo as well.  My second favorite.

Eartips are important.  A wide bore tip like a spiral dot works great(as does Auvio tips).  I also like the spinfits as well.  I did not like foam tips as thy take too much away from the higher frequencies.

These are my opinions and YMMV

I pretty much concur with your findings here Neal as I run the Blk/Pink combo a lot but even that gets on my bass nerve sometime and I go back to my fave Blue Back/Grey nozzles. Fortunately for me the A4 fits well and so far stays in place:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I pretty much use these only with my Opus #1 now with that sweet 16 core silver plate:thumbsup:

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #3,897 of 5,225
I pretty much concur with your findings here Neal as I run the Blk/Pink combo a lot but even that gets on my bass nerve sometime and I go back to my fave Blue Back/Grey nozzles. Fortunately for me the A4 fits well and so far stays in place:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I pretty much use these only with my Opus #1 now with that sweet 16 core silver plate:thumbsup:

Thx, I appearing to be learning something.  LOL

Apr 4, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #3,898 of 5,225
@duyu: LZ-A4 will be a good ergonomic fit for many people. I'm just not one of them. The shape/size of the earpiece combined with the straight nozzle means I'm readjusting one or the other earpieces fairly often which is distracting. Personally, I'd rather have a really durable fixed cable and improved ergonomics vs compromised ergonomics and a detachable cable. I think there's a bit too much emphasis on detachable cables but I'm probably an outlier in that respect.

cool.gif
I agree Nik. The A4 isn't a great fit for me personally either, it's why I gravitate towards other comparable earphones with better fit Such as the K3 or P1.  I also concur about removable cables not being an  end-all requirement. There is excess wear at the connectors from swiveling which can cause contact problems, or even shearing of pins on 2 pin connectors.  Really it's a moot point, as I am fortunate enough to have quite a few IEMs that I keep in rotation, so It kinda keeps the wear to a minimum....

JMO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,899 of 5,225

cool.gif
I agree Nik. The A4 isn't a great fit for me personally either, it's why I gravitate towards other comparable earphones with better fit Such as the K3 or P1.  I also concur about removable cables not being an  end-all requirement. There is excess wear at the connectors from swiveling which can cause contact problems, or even shearing of pins on 2 pin connectors.  Really it's a moot point, as I am fortunate enough to have quite a few IEMs that I keep in rotation, so It kinda keeps the wear to a minimum....

JMO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

What?!?! The Twin Turbo A4 shape does not fit well in the ears of the Twin AC Stacks?!

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back