LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,956 of 5,225

Keep your LZA4s.  Get a DAP or Smart Device which you can use either Neutron or Viper, and use their DSP algorithms to alter the sense of stage.  The FiiO X5iii coming out now has Viper integrated and the ability to alter staging is impressive.

In my experience. you are not going to get speaker like sound from a sealed IEM.

@fraza44 and everyone - bought the X5III for a friend this past weekend and had a chance to have a listen (not as much as I would have liked, but didn't want to butt in too much, it's his first DAP!)
The improvement in sound quality and soundstaging (esp. depth) from the original X5 is quite remarkable. The actual difference (more detailed/better resolution, more three-dimensional staging) is relatively subtle but it adds up to a real step up from the original. What I mean is that the small difference they have made makes a big difference for the listener.

Wasn't able to effectively audition Viper, so can't comment on that. @fraza44 I am also in constant search of an out of the body stage experience. The X5III alone (tried with A4s and Nighthawks) won't take you all the way there, but it will get you closer.

I was really impressed - though for my money it still needs the Cayin C5 to sound its best (again, with the extra width and depth that amp provides)

Sorry for the off-topic - I wasn't going to say anything (even though I was bursting to tell someone about it!) but since it was mentioned, thought I'd jump in!

Replacement cable for the A4s still hasn't arrived - apparently there was a hold-up because I wanted an L-shaped connector which they had to order in. They really should have let me know this would cause a delay, because I would rather have the cable earlier with a standard connector. Ah well, first world problems!!!

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #2,957 of 5,225
maybe I used the wrong back filter with grey.

But too my ears the Black/Gray combo just hit me in the face with too much bass and mids, YMMV. I just keep going back to Black /Black. I guess its the balanced, smooth and detailed sound(very nice soundstage not the most 3D though.

I tried the greys, based on the interest here. Like @nealh I can't wander far from the black front now. I just love the detail too much. BUT I love the fact that we have these options, that each owner can tailor the sound to their preferences.

What a cracking bit of kit - especially for the price!

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #2,958 of 5,225
Keep your LZA4s.  Get a DAP or Smart Device which you can use either Neutron or Viper, and use their DSP algorithms to alter the sense of stage.  The FiiO X5iii coming out now has Viper integrated and the ability to alter staging is impressive.

In my experience. you are not going to get speaker like sound from a sealed IEM.

What is neutron and Vioer? Sorry for my ignorance.

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #2,959 of 5,225
What is neutron and Vioer? Sorry for my ignorance.

Viper is a series of DSP effects which use software to change the sound. You get options like surround, tube amp effect, compression etc. Some are supplied free with the X5III and some you have to pay for. I really wanted to check out the surround option but I'll have to grab the player from him at a later date.

I assume Neutron is much the same, but don't know for certain. We should both Google it!!

Feb 28, 2017 at 8:54 PM Post #2,961 of 5,225
Thanks. None of those work with iPhone?

I tried google but too many hits. Now knowing what it is I can try to google again.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #2,962 of 5,225
Thanks. None of those work with iPhone?

I tried google but too many hits. Now knowing what it is I can try to google again.

Not sure if it is on iPhone. While you are at it check out usb audio player pro, another really good and helpful music app.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2,963 of 5,225
:cool: My only wish for a successor or upgrade to the A4 is to make it more comfortable. It has a God-awful Shape. Oh yes..... and make a TRUE Down-Cabled version.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Agreed 9n comfort (lack thereof) but I never wear cable down so cable up is required for me.

Feb 28, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,964 of 5,225
:grinning: I'm exactly the opposite. I never wear over-ear unless it's the only option. Too much of a pia to put on and off.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #2,966 of 5,225
Thanks to all of you for your feedback on my request for recommending IEMs for a wider sound stage.   I'll give the earbud a try because they are cheaper and see how that sounds.   I don't want to replace my Teac because I just got it less then three weeks ago.

Andre

If you paid near $400 I'd return and grab an Opus, has a wide stage and pairs very well with the A4

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #2,967 of 5,225
If you paid near $400 I'd return and grab an Opus, has a wide stage and pairs very well with the A4

No didn't pay no where near $400, I picked it up from Best Buys online for $296 and I'm pass the 14 Day return so I'll just have to keep this one because it really does have a good sound.  I'm thinking of trying some of the more affordable earbuds just to get an idea of what they can do.  I never really tried earbud.  The Monks seem to be very popular.

Andre 

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #2,968 of 5,225
  @fraza44 and everyone - bought the X5III for a friend this past weekend and had a chance to have a listen (not as much as I would have liked, but didn't want to butt in too much, it's his first DAP!)
The improvement in sound quality and soundstaging (esp. depth) from the original X5 is quite remarkable. The actual difference (more detailed/better resolution, more three-dimensional staging) is relatively subtle but it adds up to a real step up from the original. What I mean is that the small difference they have made makes a big difference for the listener.

Wasn't able to effectively audition Viper, so can't comment on that. @fraza44 I am also in constant search of an out of the body stage experience. The X5III alone (tried with A4s and Nighthawks) won't take you all the way there, but it will get you closer.

I was really impressed - though for my money it still needs the Cayin C5 to sound its best (again, with the extra width and depth that amp provides)

Sorry for the off-topic - I wasn't going to say anything (even though I was bursting to tell someone about it!) but since it was mentioned, thought I'd jump in!

Replacement cable for the A4s still hasn't arrived - apparently there was a hold-up because I wanted an L-shaped connector which they had to order in. They really should have let me know this would cause a delay, because I would rather have the cable earlier with a standard connector. Ah well, first world problems!!!

Before getting the Teac HA-P90SD, I tried the Fiio X3 II but the biggest problem was the font size, I just couldn't read the small font and even with a different firmware which was suppose to have a larger font, I still could not see it and wearing reading glass in the gym just want do.   Not to take over the LZ A4 thread but the Teac P90 is a very powerful player.

Andre

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #2,969 of 5,225
  No didn't pay no where near $400, I picked it up from Best Buys online for $296 and I'm pass the 14 Day return so I'll just have to keep this one because it really does have a good sound.  I'm thinking of trying some of the more affordable earbuds just to get an idea of what they can do.  I never really tried earbud.  The Monks seem to be very popular.

Andre 

I've had the Monk Plus for quite a while, never really cared for them, used the covers they come with and also donut foams. Meh. Then I finally purchased Full foam Hiegi, they really started to shine. The mids are pretty thick though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back