LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 25, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2,896 of 5,225
That was me. Something weird about the blue treble. Hallow? Maybe, something time that. Tizzy maybe?

Yup. Something's seems off. Not sure how to describe it. Felt sounded hollow. Only way I can describe it.

I have not listened to Red/b and Blue/f in awhile but I don't recall it feeling hollow and just not correct to my ears. The higher frequencies with that combo were just touch bright and fatiguing for me(I'm treble sensitive).

Feb 25, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #2,897 of 5,225
I used blue/f and red/b for a bit several weeks ago and from memory in comparison to black/b and black/f the sound seems thin. Black/b and black/f just has the full bodied sound and a warm, natural presentation. Also blue/f and red/b due to it being tuned towards treble and bass has a somewhat V shaped sound signature and the recessed mids makes it sound quite artificial to my ears. The bass is also looser than the blacks. However I do like the treble extension but it is rather bright and fatiguing in comparison and the rather large soundstage doesn't help with the thin sound either.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #2,898 of 5,225
I used blue/f and red/b for a bit several weeks ago and from memory in comparison to black/b and black/f the sound seems thin. Black/b and black/f just has the full bodied sound and a warm, natural presentation. Also blue/f and red/b due to it being tuned towards treble and bass has a somewhat V shaped sound signature and the recessed mids makes it sound quite artificial to my ears. The bass is also looser than the blacks. However I do like the treble extension but it is rather bright and fatiguing in comparison and the rather large soundstage doesn't help with the thin sound either.

Yup excellent description to the Red/b and Blue/f.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #2,899 of 5,225
Yes I agree with that too.

For a while I went with black back and blue front, but I've now gone back to the "stealth" settings.
I tried black back and green front for a while and that was quite good, it really accentuated the sub bass.

Feb 26, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #2,900 of 5,225
After upgrading my DAP, and using balanced cable, black(b)/red(f) no longer offers the smoothest sound for pop. Going Red/Red doesn't help.

I know X7's DAC is more neutral or colder than my previous X3's by doing a control.
What I'm not certain are the amp section and the cable these two variables.

But, I bet it's the cable's problem. The cable I'm using is sliver-plated copper cable while A4's stock cable should be pure copper.

Who're using X7 here? What type of cable are you using? Which combo do you prefer?

Feb 26, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #2,901 of 5,225
How do these stack up to some of the 5BA and 6BA DIY options currently available at a similar price on AliExpress? I'm really confused about what to get. the customizability on these is supreme, but I'm talking just raw SQ wise, separation and staging etc? will they be able to hold up to a 6BA?

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #2,902 of 5,225
  After upgrading my DAP, and using balanced cable, black(b)/red(f) no longer offers the smoothest sound for pop. Going Red/Red doesn't help.

I know X7's DAC is more neutral or colder than my previous X3's by doing a control.
What I'm not certain are the amp section and the cable these two variables.

But, I bet it's the cable's problem. The cable I'm using is sliver-plated copper cable while A4's stock cable should be pure copper.

Who're using X7 here? What type of cable are you using? Which combo do you prefer?

From reading, it just seems like X7 is a bad pairing with these.
It's the only 'excessive loose bass' combo comment I've seen in the thread.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,903 of 5,225
I'm somewhat curious about this as well. If I had to guess, I would say that from an audio engineering point of view it's difficult to get 6pcs of BA to work together well. And the LZ4 has real engineering & research behind it, since LZ has been improving its 2BA hybrid design for a long time now.

Feb 26, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,904 of 5,225

From reading, it just seems like X7 is a bad pairing with these.
It's the only 'excessive loose bass' combo comment I've seen in the thread.

I don't feel there is any problem with X7's bass. X7+AM3 is definitely an improvement over X3+E12, but not the type of signature I like for listening pop. (LZ likes it very much, though.)
For X7, Black (b) / Black(f) is better than Black(b)/Red(f) even for pop.
I need more time to test other combos. But I bet I can change the sound signature by using other cables.
Or, I need mental burn-in.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #2,905 of 5,225
  I don't feel there is any problem with X7's bass. X7+AM3 is definitely an improvement over X3+E12, but not the type of signature I like for listening pop. (LZ likes it very much, though.)
For X7, Black (b) / Black(f) is better than Black(b)/Red(f) even for pop.
I need more time to test other combos. But I bet I can change the sound signature by using other cables.
Or, I need mental burn-in.

I personally would expect the Black/Black to be the best combo on the A4(hehe..it is to my ears).  The Black/Black offers really nice low end and high end extension.  The bass is punchy and tight with a nice thump.  I think the mids and highs sound clear and detailed.  The soundstage is excelle

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:36 AM Post #2,909 of 5,225
Is anyone else rocking the Batman (black b/gray f)?

using this when pairing this hybrid with the Shanling M3. Shanling daps usually highlight mids (great for balancing V shaped iems btw). The A4 mids sound super sweet in this pairing. I'm not sure yet if I like the red bass filter or black ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back