LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 3, 2017 at 7:15 AM Post #2,371 of 5,225
Hi I'm fairly new around here but I was wondering if I could get some input on the amount of bass the a4 has. I'm asking not because I want allot but because I'm worried it might be too much for might taste. My reference iem's are flare audio r2a and r2s as well as audio technica im70 (which I find had way too much bass these days). I also own the over ears akg 712pros which I love. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I do not have your IEMs for a direct comparison regarding the low-end frequencies. One of the strengths of the A4 is that you have three tuning filters for the low frequencies. If you find too much on the low-end you can adjust it easily and get a very nice altered bass response.
The red filter provides the most low-end range.
For a lot of people around here the black filter which has a little less on the low end frequencies to be the sweet spot.
The blue filter provides even more reduction in the low-end Which maintains a tight controlled bass response allowing nice mid range and higher range frequencies to shine with the correct front filter

One comment I would like to make about fit that I have found in my personal experience. The ear tips are use over the ear versus down can make a difference for isolation and fit.
I find down my spin fits give a better isolation and seal and it requires more tinkering for me to get nearly the same isolation if it's worn over the ear

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:35 AM Post #2,372 of 5,225
Okay thanks sounds great I just ordered from Penon so I can't wait! Does anyone have a clue when they should be shipping? Ya know with Chinese new year and all? Just received some jvc spiral dots and loving the sound even better than my spinfits with the iems I have now, increased treble and even wider soundstage which I love. Curious how these will sound with the A4s.

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #2,373 of 5,225
Okay thanks sounds great I just ordered from Penon so I can't wait! Does anyone have a clue when they should be shipping? Ya know with Chinese new year and all? Just received some jvc spiral dots and loving the sound even better than my spinfits with the iems I have now, increased treble and even wider soundstage which I love. Curious how these will sound with the A4s.

Congratulations. I'm not sure where you live but the $10 for the express shipping is an excellent value from Penon

I hope you will enjoy them as much as many of us here do. Very nice tunable sound

A lot of members really enjoy the spiral dots with the A4. They make a good combination. The wide bore allows for a really nice mid and upper frequencies with spatial soundstage and you still get nice representation of the low-end

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #2,374 of 5,225
Is anybody here using a dragonfly red or black with the A4? I am curious what your experiences as I am considering one of these portable DAC/AMP

I can't tell based upon reviews whether the extra hundred dollars will be worth it going from black to read. The sound signature does sound different and the black one may be more to my liking.

I hate to buy and return. Any thoughts would be wonderful thank you

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #2,375 of 5,225
Is anybody here using a dragonfly red or black with the A4? I am curious what your experiences as I am considering one of these portable DAC/AMP

I can't tell based upon reviews whether the extra hundred dollars will be worth it going from black to read. The sound signature does sound different and the black one may be more to my liking.

Headfonia did a review of them both, and I think one is more suited to IEMs.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #2,376 of 5,225

I have the dragonfly 1.2,its wonderful. The a4 scales really well. I doubt the red is going to give you anything extra for iems, I would go for the black.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #2,377 of 5,225
I noticed a tiny but barely visible crack in one of the housing. Should I be concerned and contact Penonaudio right away?

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,378 of 5,225
I noticed a tiny but barely visible crack in one of the housing. Should I be concerned and contact Penonaudio right away?

I think the Chinese new year ends February 5. I would send him those pictures. They seem very helpful and I'm sure they will work with you

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #2,379 of 5,225
I've scoured the thread looking for it but I haven't found the comparison to the ha FX850 although I know there have been a couple. For anyone who has both, does the a4 compete with the fx850?

I'd like a compare of FX850 and A4 as well.

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #2,381 of 5,225
  I'd like a compare of FX850 and A4 as well.

Just finished moving to my new home. I could post quick impressions/comparison with my fx750.

I also updated my review to include the FX1100 comparison, if that helps at all. I know 850 is different, but maybe a good starting point. 

Spoiler: they're both awesome, but different. 

-Collin-

Feb 3, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,383 of 5,225
I'm still very happy with my A4 but the grey nozzle has me curious about an upgrade or side grade that is really midcentric.

Midcentric earphones i have:

Ath-im02 (excellent one recommended)

Xba-100 ( midcentric but id say it leans toward balanced sig) however only if yiu prefer listening at low - moderate volume as the xba lines are infamous for distorting at high vol

Westone um30pro - expensive-ass. Id pick Im02 over these and these are awfully thick for my taste.

Xba-1 - again,my favourite and most preferred earphone to go due to non-fatiguing sig.

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,384 of 5,225
I'm still very happy with my A4 but the grey nozzle has me curious about an upgrade or side grade that is really midcentric.

Dunu titan 3! Think of my grey/blue combo. Even for male/female. Add sweetness to the female upper harmonics. Strong and brighter texture and strong energy in the mids. Listening to live bands, the snares have a nice lively snap to them. Acoustic hand percussions are emphasized vs kick drums. Bass on titan 3 is a lot more linear, perhaps even as well. Though bass sits behind mids here, the subbass is nicely done even if subdued. Highs I felt could use more emphasis, and I hear more ambient echo (past 10kHz) versus lower treble. Stage isn't wide. The resolution is colder a bit but very very impressive even for the price. That. Is. All. Lol

Edit: timbre in the mids is really really good...too bad they could even destroy a lot, but got scared in not supporting the rest of the frequencies. This would be the end game if addressed properly in the future.

Feb 3, 2017 at 9:27 PM Post #2,385 of 5,225

Next would be flc8s as upgrade in mids, but I always would prefer the balance/coherence of the A4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back