LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 2, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #2,356 of 5,225
It seems IT03 is an strongest contender against A4, 
Please  can anybody here post a link where the IT03 is available on Aliexpress ,  thanks . 

There's a dedicated thread for that...

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #2,357 of 5,225
  It seems IT03 is an strongest contender against A4, 
Please  can anybody here post a link where the IT03 is available on Aliexpress ,  thanks . 

Looks like the AliExpress vendors are only selling iBasso electronics, and not the earphones.

EDIT: Penon Audio has them on their web site, but they're currently Out Of Stock - http://penonaudio.com/iBasso-IT03

Feb 2, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,358 of 5,225
  Cable down for me though sometimes I go over if I'm walking about.

Cable down here as well - one of the main draws for me of the A4. They're large, but light and with snug tips can work just fine worn down. Spiral dots tend to get them into my ears fairly deep and they don't fall out, though I haven't gone jogging or anything like that. Walking seems to work fine. The only time they fall out is when my dog jerks the leash and I rip them out under my own accord :)

-Collin-

Feb 2, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2,361 of 5,225
Grey nozzles sound more natural to me. The soundstage closes in but the mids and treble sound much smoother and more natural to me. The mids in particular seem to improve. Vocals and stringed instruments are presented up closer. I'm hearing better separation too. The subbass seems to increase in quantity without muddying up the sound. Midbass seems similar.

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #2,363 of 5,225
I printed the color chart, from one of the AliExpress store pages -

ab9acc34a1de9a2034191a678f1235ca.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:01 PM Post #2,364 of 5,225
How does grey front change the audio compared to black front?

Curious as to how your A4DagsJT is set up. What do feel lacking? I'd rather start with that than throw a numbers chart that barely explains what is really happening to the graph.

(Not a stab at anyone here btw)

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #2,365 of 5,225
Using the 22 KHz - 8 KHz sweep on - http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php - and listening to my LZ A4, as well as several other earphones & earbuds, I've determined that my hearing only goes up to ~14 KHz these days.

So, other than changes to Midrange energy, I probably shouldn't be able to hear much difference in the Treble response of any of the Nozzle filters, except the Pink ones - since the Blue, Black, Green, Gray, and Red are all supposed to be passing at least 15 KHz.

It does appear the the Green, Gray, and Pink Nozzles are also damping the Bass response, as well - although I haven't tried to listen for that effect.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #2,367 of 5,225
Hi I'm fairly new around here but I was wondering if I could get some input on the amount of bass the a4 has. I'm asking not because I want allot but because I'm worried it might be too much for might taste. My reference iem's are flare audio r2a and r2s as well as audio technica im70 (which I find had way too much bass these days). I also own the over ears akg 712pros which I love. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #2,369 of 5,225

Cable down here as well - one of the main draws for me of the A4. They're large, but light and with snug tips can work just fine worn down. Spiral dots tend to get them into my ears fairly deep and they don't fall out, though I haven't gone jogging or anything like that. Walking seems to work fine. The only time they fall out is when my dog jerks the leash and I rip them out under my own accord :)

-Collin-

Mine's cable down too. I cannot get a decent seal when worn-up. But thankfully the cable was supple and the provided cable clipper helped to reduce, or eliminate, microphonic

Day 2 report.

The A4 has started to grow in me. It is so much comfortable when cable worn-down,  more even so than the Dunu's. However the A4 doesn't give at least decent isolation - I took the A4 to the gym and the isolation was that poor I still could hear people chatters, treadmills, and weight slams. Yet I can hear the typing noise of my keyboard. Other than that I still can live with it due to its better comfort and it is reminiscent of the open-back JVC FX750. 

One unique feature the A4 has is that enveloping soundstage it has, with excellent musical separation. The Dunu gives a better separation yet greater details but it can get peaky or thin at some parts. The A4, on the other hand, is more friendlier and non-fatiguing - this is with the black front filter attached.

I listened to this 1 hour track by Armin Van Buuren State of Trance 2015 with A4 paired Sony NWA-A25 with DSEE HX and Clear Audio setting on. And of course, A4  with red vent and black nozzle for better coherency.

I was completely elated. I am happy to say that the bass handles very good on Trance: no boominess, no bloated bass and of course, non-fatiguing treble. Combined with its immense soundstage allows me to get sink into the track. You know that moment when you want to close your eyes and be absorbed with the song.

All in all, my heart still goes for Dunu though it loses in comfort and fun-factor to A4
ksc75smile.gif
.  I find Dunu's sound has more class because it is more balanced (due to clearer mid), refined, and cleaner-sounding. 

I look forward seeing this earphone gets ljokerl-approved soon!

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:19 AM Post #2,370 of 5,225
I am a bit surprised I have not seen comment on the lack of coherency in the A4 in this thread. Going back to my IT03 after a couple weeks with the A4 and the first thing I noticed was the HUGE increase in coherency across all the drivers. On the IT03 I am hard pressed to hear where the drivers overlap, but on the A4 it very clearly (from first listen) to my ears sounds like a DD and separate BAs. The DD does not sound coherent at all to me in the A4, and really takes away from the whole presentation of the IEM. For the money I paid I think the A4 does many things very well, but the lack of coherency is pretty bad to my ears at this price.

Are you running them balanced ?

Edit :
I had this lack of cohesion running A3S balanced due to the multiple ohm values of the units, and the effect going balanced would have on impedance of the units and to each units FR. I lost depth/gained width and height and everything sounded disjointed. Back to single-end and everything was back to normal. Cohesive presentation.

Others said balanced was fine when they tried with A3S (better on various fronts - tighter bass/separation etc), so I think it is how they are reacting to up-source gear, plus this multiple ohm element on different units inside the shell = crapshoot. Your iBasso's might sound disjointed on another balanced set-up DAP/AMP with a different unit impedence value on output kicking their multi-ohm units out of whack...

As planarheads know, they (planar units) have flat impedance going balanced, and it does not kick the FR all over the place.
Hybrids are a different animal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back