LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 27, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #2,162 of 5,225
I've had the A4's for a few days now, and I will give my own comparison to the other IEMs currently in my possession, preceded by a bit of backstory of why I bought the A4 in the first place.

I have had my 1964 V6 for several years, but I always found Balanced Armatures to have unconvincing bass, V6 included.   I heard effusive praise for the quite affordable Trinity Audio Delta MK2, so I bought those to dip my toes in the hybrid IEM world.    I was so blown away (I find them to be superior to my V6 which cost several times more expensive) that I jumped on the Trinity Master 4.   Take note: these are tuneable IEMs.  Tuneable filters represent the future of the universal IEM world, which is why I stand so strongly behind what Trinity and LZ are doing. 

Fast forward a couple months later, and I was really enjoying the Master 4 - they are underrated, IMO, but the treble issues are undeniable.  However, the treble issues are remedied by using the filters with screens, which calms the quite sibilant treble down a bit (and I am not treble shy - big fan of HD700 and HD800).  

However, the Master 4 left earpiece broke - sound stopped coming out of the bass driver, for some reason.  Not to mention one of the filters was in so tight from the factory that I stripped the threads trying to remove it. So, I sent those back to Trinity for repairs, (my Delta Mk2 also have an earpiece that has a loose connection - cuts in and out, but I haven't bothered to send them back yet), and looked to the LZ A4 to fill the void while the Master 4 are being fixed.

So, my comparisons to Phantom Master 4 will be based on memory - but very vivid memory, I might add.  Please note, all comparisons are with the inner black filter and outer red filter.  I need to spend more time "filter rolling", but so far this is my favorite combination.  Moreover, the filter combination is very closely analogous to the filters I used on the Master 4 and Delta MK2, so we can be sure we are comparing "apples to apples."   Also, please note, that I won't go into packaging or accessories, just sound quality, but I will note that A4 has superior packaging, presentation, and obviously quality control.   The only downside with A4 is that it doesn't come with a mic.   I use my IEMs with my audiophile grade HTC 10, and I need something with a mic, which is why Trinity is such great value to offer mic cables and non-mic cables with all their products. 

1964 Audio V6 - First of all, it is not just the V6, but the U6, U8 as well:  1964 likes a dark sound signature.  As in, rolled off treble.  That's not "audiophile", that's nonsense.  I want to hear what is on the recording, not have my IEMs EQ the recording for me with their own ridiculous coloration.   Not to mention, the mids on the V6 are messed up - they are strangle sibilant in a way that is quite unnatural.   And the bass is BA bass - so it sucks.   In short, the A4 blows these out of the water.  The best comparison I can think of is the Phillips Fidelio X1 against the HD800.   V6 sound like the Fidelio: quite good for the money, but utterly falling short in every respect compared next to the truly refined, balanced sound sig of the HD800 (A4).   In fact, the LZ A4 might be the most natural and uncolored IEM I have ever heard (and I have heard TOTL offerings from JH Audio as well).   Having said that, my V6 customs are over five years old now, and I am sure the BA technology has come a long way since then. 

As a side note:  V6 and V8 represented, IMO, the last great era of 1964 Ears: before the Adel modules and universal models, when 1964 Ears used to represent value.   Now they are priced as expensive as JH Audio and Noble, and they are no longer competitive on value like Trinity and LZ are.   For example, 64 Audio's first Hybrid, the Fourte (four driver hybrid) is $4,000!  LZ-A4 is only a 3 driver, but Master 4 is a 4 driver and I bet they both hold their own against the Fourte.

Trinity Audio Delta Mk2 (with gold undampened filters.  Treble is executed quite well on these, so there is no need to use a dampened filter) - Not bad for a 2 driver hybrid.  These are now discontinued, but they are very, very close to the LZ A4 in sound.  They have a comparable level of detail retrieval and resolution; the key difference is sound signature and soundstage.   A4 soundstage is more expansive, whereas the Delta are quite intimate and closed-in. Collapsed, even.  No matter the filters I used, the Delta bass had more presence, but in a way that felt more like a bass boost.  A4 have great, textured bass, in quality and quantity, but Delta's bass had more visceral impact - it's more a basshead IEM.   Like the V6, though, there is an undeniable refinement in the A4's sound that Delta MK2 lacks.   My analogy for this pairing would be the exciting, visceral, but slightly coloured wall-of-sound soundstage of the Audeze LCD-3 (A4) to the more expansive, refined, and overall smoother signature of the Hifiman HEK.

Trinity Audio Master 4 (with silver dampened filters, dampened to tame the peaky, shrill treble, without losing any high frequency resolution) - This is an interesting match up.  First of all, I would like to come to the Master 4's defense; I maintain that they completely hold their own against the LZ-A4, and even do a couple things better.   Having said that, I can temper my enthusiasm for the Master 4 with the caveat that if they were so great, they wouldn't be back at Trinity's heardquarters in the UK right now.   That's a QC issue, though, not a sound quality issue.  

I have never heard a soundstage on an IEM that was as wide and spacious as the Master 4 - I didn't even know it was possible.  It's almost unnatural, but in a holographic way, that makes classical/orchestral quite thrilling to listen to (as far as IEMs go anyway).   LZ A4 has a decidedly more natural soundstage for an IEM, which allows for instrument separation and layering on songs to really shine. Instrument separation is less noticeable on the Master 4, but that's because the sound is more 3D.  Again, like the Delta MK2, another noticeable difference between Master 4 and A4 is the bass.  Master 4 are more of a basshead IEM than A4, with more quantity and visceral impact.  But in bass quality and detail too, Master 4 edges out A4 slightly.  Master 4 has a superior dynamic driver handling the lows, to be frank.   For the mids and treble though, LZ A4 definitely has more a reference-grade sound.  I know without a doubt that A4 gets me overall closer to what it sounds like to be in the mastering booth than the Master 4.    In fact, that's also a good example of the soundstage:   A4 is like being in an anechoic mastering booth, with zero reverb and a small enough room to hear every single minute detail of what's being recorded, whereas Master 4 is like hearing the orchestra in a concert hall, with a slight boominess that comes with the expansive sound that envelopes you.  

Overall, I like the Master 4 and A4 equally: they both do different things really well.  Needless to say, I will be upgrading my Master 4 to the revised Master when that is released, and hopefully we have an IEM that is on balance superior to the flawed but fantastic Master 4.   To summarize this comparison, the Master 4 is like the HD700 (slightly more ragged, unrefined sound quality, but with more bass) heard through a Smyth Realiser, whereas the A4 is more like the HD800S (More refined sound quality, but with a bit less bass, and a beautifully smooth treble)

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #2,163 of 5,225

My favorite cocktail is Red back and Green front.

Great sound on my A&K 70 though balanced output with 2,5mm Fidue cable.
Dead silent, strong dynamics, detailed harmonics and great soundstage.

Just listening to Rogers Water's Amused to death High res files 24/192 . P E R F E C T .

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:08 AM Post #2,164 of 5,225
  Wow the blueB and GreyF won me over! Such a unique sound. So much details in the mids and the imaging is so sharp (almost binaural effect). 

I'm really looking forward to trying that at home! 
etysmile.gif

Great sound on my A&K 79 though balanced output with 2,5mm Fidue cable.

Mine too! No matter what filter combination i try, (haven't tried Blue / Grey) i come back to Red / B and Green front! 

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #2,165 of 5,225

Great sound on my A&K 70 though balanced output with 2,5mm Fidue cable.

Just listening to Rogers Water's Amused to death High res files 24/192 . P E R F E C T .

We call it the Christmas Special! Lol

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #2,166 of 5,225
  Trinity Audio Master 4 (with silver dampened filters, dampened to tame the peaky, shrill treble, without losing any high frequency resolution) - This is an interesting match up.  First of all, I would like to come to the Master 4's defense; I maintain that they completely hold their own against the LZ-A4, and even do a couple things better.   Having said that, I can temper my enthusiasm for the Master 4 with the caveat that if they were so great, they wouldn't be back at Trinity's heardquarters in the UK right now.   That's a QC issue, though, not a sound quality issue.  

I have never heard a soundstage on an IEM that was as wide and spacious as the Master 4 - I didn't even know it was possible.  It's almost unnatural, but in a holographic way, that makes classical/orchestral quite thrilling to listen to (as far as IEMs go anyway).   LZ A4 has a decidedly more natural soundstage for an IEM, which allows for instrument separation and layering on songs to really shine. Instrument separation is less noticeable on the Master 4, but that's because the sound is more 3D.  Again, like the Delta MK2, another noticeable difference between Master 4 and A4 is the bass.  Master 4 are more of a basshead IEM than A4, with more quantity and visceral impact.  But in bass quality and detail too, Master 4 edges out A4 slightly.  Master 4 has a superior dynamic driver handling the lows, to be frank.

Your experience with the Trinity PM4 sounds very different from mine. Yes I had QC issues too (and needed to get mine replaced) but the way you describe their sound is just very different from the way I heard it. The bass was great with them, but the upper mids and highs went beyond shrill for me and crossed into distorted/ringy territory for me on certain tracks (some speculation its due to them not using any crossovers and the fact that they are modified hearing aid BA's). Its interesting you mention soundstage because my initial impressions were that the A4 handily beat the PM4 on soundstage. So i popped the PM4 in for a quick listen and you are right, its large and holographic. But I think its let down by those upper mids and trebles which in addition to the negative qualities I listed above, feel very closed in and intimate. Kind of an odd sensation to have some things so wide and holographic while others so in your face.

So to get back on topic here (the A4). I think overall the A4 is better for me mainly because I find the PM4 pretty much unlistenable on certain tracks (try Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana to see what I mean). The PM4 had some hints of really great stuff, but overall was a let down for me. It is interesting how some people have mentioned nothing about hearing what I heard, while others are in total agreement with me. Quick question for you, what color was yours? I thought I heard some talk about not just QC issues between the different colors, but variations in sound too.

I also think the tuning of the A4 is superior as well, in part, obviously because you have 18 different tuning options (21 if you count removing the back filter), vs 7 on the PM4 and I think the tuning here really adjusts the sound in different ways than trinity's.

And as another note, I think I have settled on black(b)/red(f) as my goto filter combo of choice. I know I am not alone on this one. This was actually the first combo that wowed me and got me closest to my current favorites, the IT03. I have a feeling the extra sound dampening material helps dampen not just the treble but also the bass as well, giving me what I think is the most balanced sound that really pulls the mids up in line with both the bass and treble, without sacrificing either.

Jan 27, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #2,167 of 5,225
Jazzkammer, if you are in the US and want to try out an inexpensive MMCX I got this one yesterday to use with another pair of IEMs. I'll give it a go with my A4 and let you know if any differences of sound between it and stock cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MPZBUQ6/

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #2,168 of 5,225
Im currently using a pair of the original Grado GR8's with the AK70. I think it sounds pretty damn good but have used the Grados for a few years now and would like to upgrade. 

Have looked at plenty of IEMS, the RHA CL1s, Shures, etc Would this be a good upgrade on what I have?

Any help appreciated.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #2,169 of 5,225
Jazzkammer, if you are in the US and want to try out an inexpensive MMCX I got this one yesterday to use with another pair of IEMs. I'll give it a go with my A4 and let you know if any differences of sound between it and stock cable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MPZBUQ6/

Nice find. Can't wait to here the review

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #2,170 of 5,225
  Im currently using a pair of the original Grado GR8's with the AK70. I think it sounds pretty damn good but have used the Grados for a few years now and would like to upgrade. 

Have looked at plenty of IEMS, the RHA CL1s, Shures, etc Would this be a good upgrade on what I have?

Any help appreciated.

Grado has a very unique house sound. The A4 will not make you happy if you like that sound. Grado is bright, with glorious mids and nearly absent bass. The A4 has a strong bass presence, in comparison. If you tried the A4, coming from Grado you would find it boomy, with flabby bass and recessed treble and/or mids. It's not because the A4 is any of those things, but your ears are messed up using the Grado which has a very unnatural sound signature.

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #2,171 of 5,225
  Grado has a very unique house sound. The A4 will not make you happy if you like that sound. Grado is bright, with glorious mids and nearly absent bass. The A4 has a strong bass presence, in comparison. If you tried the A4, coming from Grado you would find it boomy, with flabby bass and recessed treble and/or mids. It's not because the A4 is any of those things, but your ears are messed up using the Grado which has a very unnatural sound signature.

Yeah your right, I guess what I am really looking for is an IEM with the same mids, the extended treble, though maybe toned down from the grado a little, but that touch more mid bass/bass. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #2,172 of 5,225
Okay, so without much expectation i tried the Blue / B and Grey / F :) I gotta say, the mids really come even more forward, but imo treble is a bit too recessed for my taste and bass is really recessed. I'm really happy that some of you enjoy this combination, but i need more bass in my music. ^.^

Have a nice weekend fellow Head - Fiers 
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,173 of 5,225
Alright guys, after I said that I wouldn't last long on the black-f/black-b, I'm still on it.  The soundstage is so addicting that I can't stop!  

For me, this combo is the closest to the Havi B3 Pro1 sound signature that I've found so far.  Peter, are you sure you don't like black black better than black-b/red-f?  Comparable soundstage to the Havi with the balanced sound we all love.  Havi still slightly brighter highs, but less layers of bass.  After brain burn in, I couldn't have been more wrong that this combo wouldn't work for pop (top 40 stuff).  

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3u22OYqFGo (Iggy Azalea - Black Widow).  That bass is so silky smooth!

I might stick with this combo for at least another week.  =)

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #2,174 of 5,225
Yeah your right, I guess what I am really looking for is an IEM with the same mids, the extended treble, though maybe toned down from the grado a little, but that touch more mid bass/bass. 

You might find some use with say blue bass filters and match it with a black front. It's been a while since I've tried them Grados.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #2,175 of 5,225
Alright guys, after I said that I wouldn't last long on the black-f/black-b, I'm still on it.  The soundstage is so addicting that I can't stop!  

For me, this combo is the closest to the Havi B3 Pro1 sound signature that I've found so far.  Peter, are you sure you don't like black black better than black-b/red-f?  Comparable soundstage to the Havi with the balanced sound we all love.  Havi still slightly brighter highs, but less layers of bass.  After brain burn in, I couldn't have been more wrong that this combo wouldn't work for pop (top 40 stuff).  

Check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3u22OYqFGo (Iggy Azalea - Black Widow).  That bass is so silky smooth!

I might stick with this combo for at least another week.  =)

We'll, you sure are making me want to try out the black/black again. They were my first love with the A4's :wink:

I'm spending the next couple of days in Germany but I'll try it again when I'm back home again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back