LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Jan 21, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2,011 of 5,225
I using Black/Black and I'm really surprised at this combo. I thought when I tried it earlier the bass was lacking but I don't think so.
The clarity,detail frequency spectrum from low to high end are really good. I do get a more spatial surrounding sense to the soundstage too.

Seems I need like 4 separate A4's to just have all the combo set and just swap to different one depending on mood and music.

So many great combos... too many?
Red/Blue
Red/Black
Red/Green
Black/Black
Feel like I'm missing a combo

Problem is I can't listen all combos at once.

Wonder if I need to back to the default Black/Blue now

I feel I'm enjoying black/black more than black/blue. Soundstage sounds rather well presented here. Some folks are actually enjoying the grey front nozzles too...so see where that takes you.

I got to try the blue backs - bass is even more subdued and this is another option if someone wants greedy mids lol

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #2,012 of 5,225
I using Black/Black and I'm really surprised at this combo. I thought when I tried it earlier the bass was lacking but I don't think so.
The clarity,detail frequency spectrum from low to high end are really good. I do get a more spatial surrounding sense to the soundstage too.

Seems I need like 4 separate A4's to just have all the combo set and just swap to different one depending on mood and music.

So many great combos... too many?
Red/Blue
Red/Black
Red/Green
Black/Black
Feel like I'm missing a combo

Problem is I can't listen all combos at once.

Wonder if I need to back to the default Black/Blue now

That's the thing about this gem. Just when you think you have the right combo someone mentions the virtues of a different combo and you jus have to try it!! Man that LZ is a Genius! IMO!!

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #2,013 of 5,225
I feel I'm enjoying black/black more than black/blue. Soundstage sounds rather well presented here. Some folks are actually enjoying the grey front nozzles too...so see where that takes you.

I got to try the blue backs - bass is even more subdued and this is another option if someone wants greedy mids lol

Can't say it's my favorite, but Blue/Black makes certain things sound pretty good.  I like mids.

Jan 21, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #2,014 of 5,225
Can't say it's my favorite, but Blue/Black makes certain things sound pretty good.  I like mids.

Funny thing is, the A4 will yield different results, so even if you or me do have our specific preferences/configurations, we may actually be hearing the same thing depending on our sources.

I seriously didn't expect appreciating the A4 in its ability to be a chameleon as a hybrid. I did get to audition the flc8s, but I'm getting more mileage with all the options that's available here. (Here I was wanting at least 1 more bass filter option)

Jan 22, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #2,015 of 5,225
Ok, usually I listen to Red Blue then switch to Black Black. I notice a loss of high detail. Tonight I went straight to Black Black, Gotta say it sounds very good. Idk if I'll keep it but yeah it's def very smooth

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #2,016 of 5,225
Ok, usually I listen to Red Blue then switch to Black Black. I notice a loss of high detail. Tonight I went straight to Black Black, Gotta say it sounds very good. Idk if I'll keep it but yeah it's def very smooth

Yah, for me, I find the black/black is perfect for night time listening or soothing sessions because of the smoothness.  

If the A4 didn't have the black front filter, I don't think I would love the IEM.  I'm treble sensitive and prefer more relaxed music so that might help explain this biased preference, but I really love the A4 for the Black/Black combo.  Lovely pleasantness IMO.

But if i didn't have that treble sensitivity I know the blue or green fronts would just be fantastic, but it gets to be too much for me after a while.

And one thing I was surprised about is the potential the A4 has when using better sources.  Wow.  This can keep up with the audio journey.

Jan 22, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #2,017 of 5,225
Am I the only one using black/b red/f as my got to combination these days?

Jan 22, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #2,018 of 5,225
Jan 22, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #2,019 of 5,225

You're not alone. 

Hopefully, I'll change my source gear to X5 III after the Chinese new year break. By then, I can taste the magic of balanced cable.
LZ said he will make some balanced cables. I will let you guys know whether they can benefit A4 when I get them.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #2,020 of 5,225

That became my favorite, depending on roster of songs I was playing at the time. It didn't seem like the largest stage, but the layering was superb with instruments flowing,weaving in and out and the imaging was at its clearest.

Jan 22, 2017 at 6:27 AM Post #2,021 of 5,225
You're not alone. 

Hopefully, I'll change my source gear to X5 III after the Chinese new year break. By then, I can taste the magic of balanced cable.
LZ said he will make some balanced cables. I will let you guys know whether they can benefit A4 when I get them.

Nice, I'm really looking forward to see what they offer of balanced cables.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #2,024 of 5,225
Interesting, thanks so much for the impressions!

As you find good synergy between the a4 and my (yes I agree synergy is real), would that imply the m1 is a brighter source? I find the a4 pretty smooth. How does the m1 handle your brighter earphones? Similar to your 400i?

No, that's the thing. Despite having this kind of signature the M1s doesn't sound bright to me and the treble is just slightly less smooth than on the Opus #1 (which borderlines being too smooth for me). It sounds very well with the HE400i which, although not a bright headphone imo, can be a bit strident in the treble with some less refined sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back