LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4,786 of 5,225
Are there any wow earphones out there that will blow my mind for about £200 max? I need something sweet after the bitterness lz left in my mouth
Actually everybody have their own WOW factor according to their own/personal likings, so what is your taste and preferences that you are looking for WOW in a iem,???

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #4,787 of 5,225
Yes, that's how much lz a4 costs at amazon, I thought I would be excited by them, but I was far more excited with the kz which is a negative surprise for me considering all the positive reviews, I like the lz a4 but not as much as to pay £185

Of all the IEMs I've experienced,
KZ ate has the most value, aka highest sound quality over price ratio. Hands down.
Anything above this point is just getting a LOT lesser for the higher price you pay for.
This is also why I don't go any further above lz a4.
I'm not exactly sure whether CIEM will be the next "wow level" but I highly doubt so and the filter changing experience is just too unique and prevented me from changing.

For £185 tho, I would return it if I could get a full refund. Becoz If i remember correctly, I got the a4 for SGD220.

Are there any wow earphones out there that will blow my mind for about £200 max? I need something sweet after the bitterness lz left in my mouth
No. But you may wanna try changing ear tips, go look for memory foam ear tip or kz starline ear tip. They are cheap around 2bucks in aliexpress.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #4,788 of 5,225
Actually everybody have their own WOW factor according to their own/personal likings, so what is your taste and preferences that you are looking for WOW in a iem,???
To be honest, because I am new to the iem world I am not sure myself. Kz zs6 sounds almost perfect to my ears, great bass and soundstage, it's just missing on sound quality a bit, song sound somehow cheap, I don't know how to explain it. Lz a4 is a bit better, the songs sound better, with red rear and black front they sound a lot like an upgraded version of the kz zs6 would have sounded. I just expected the lz a4 to sound a lot better than a much cheaper kz zs6. I need something similar to kz zs6 in terms of sound signature but with better quality sound output. I know I don't make sense...

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #4,789 of 5,225
Yes, that's how much lz a4 costs at amazon, I thought I would be excited by them, but I was far more excited with the kz which is a negative surprise for me considering all the positive reviews, I like the lz a4 but not as much as to pay £185

What filters are you using with them? I've listened to a lot of options, and I think the LZ-A4 sits at the top sonically under $200 (issues with fit are another thing). The next "upgrade" would be the FLC8S, but even then, it's more of a different sound signature as opposed to a direct upgrade.

Whether you believe in burn in or not, I'd recommend you at least let them burn in for 20 hours. I wasn't a fan of the stock tips, and much prefer spiral dots. If you want the LZ-A4 to wow you, slap on red back and black front filter :wink:

With that being said, the ZS6 is a phenomenal IEM. If you're looking to be wowed, perhaps your source is the weakest link.

Edit: Just saw your above post. Let them burn in a bit, the LZ-A4 is sporting a dynamic driver. Do you use an amp or DAP? You can upgrade to $1,000 IEMs, but if you're streaming YouTube out of your phone, the music will still sound cheap.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 8:43 AM Post #4,790 of 5,225
Of all the IEMs I've experienced,
KZ ate has the most value, aka highest sound quality over price ratio. Hands down.
Anything above this point is just getting a LOT lesser for the higher price you pay for.
This is also why I don't go any further above lz a4.
I'm not exactly sure whether CIEM will be the next "wow level" but I highly doubt so and the filter changing experience is just too unique and prevented me from changing.

For £185 tho, I would return it if I could get a full refund. Becoz If i remember correctly, I got the a4 for SGD220.

No. But you may wanna try changing ear tips, go look for memory foam ear tip or kz starline ear tip. They are cheap around 2bucks in aliexpress.
Starline ear tip? I tried foam tips but they are not for me, sound is very good but they don't want to properly stay in my ears and they get very dirty.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #4,791 of 5,225
What filters are you using with them? I've listened to a lot of options, and I think the LZ-A4 sits at the top sonically under $200 (issues with fit are another thing). The next "upgrade" would be the FLC8S, but even then, it's more of a different sound signature as opposed to a direct upgrade.

Whether you believe in burn in or not, I'd recommend you at least let them burn in for 20 hours. I wasn't a fan of the stock tips, and much prefer spiral dots. If you want the LZ-A4 to wow you, slap on red back and black front filter :wink:

With that being said, the ZS6 is a phenomenal IEM. If you're looking to be wowed, perhaps your source is the weakest link.

Edit: Just saw your above post. Let them burn in a bit, the LZ-A4 is sporting a dynamic driver. Do you use an amp or DAP? You can upgrade to $1,000 IEMs, but if you're streaming YouTube out of your phone, the music will still sound cheap.
Maybe I need a better device to properly run them. I am listening in my samsung galaxy note 8 maybe that is the problem. I have red rear and black front, they are my favourite filters. Could you please send me a link with good tips for them? But not foam

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #4,792 of 5,225
To be honest, because I am new to the iem world I am not sure myself. Kz zs6 sounds almost perfect to my ears, great bass and soundstage, it's just missing on sound quality a bit, song sound somehow cheap, I don't know how to explain it. Lz a4 is a bit better, the songs sound better, with red rear and black front they sound a lot like an upgraded version of the kz zs6 would have sounded. I just expected the lz a4 to sound a lot better than a much cheaper kz zs6. I need something similar to kz zs6 in terms of sound signature but with better quality sound output. I know I don't make sense...

I'm not surprised. Even though I do not own KZ ZS6 before. I'm definitely not expecting to have a major difference between KZ ZS6 and LZ a4 in terms of sound quality.
Lets just say this.

To buy a level 80 gear, you need $15.
A level 90 gear, you need $50
A level 93 gear, you need $200.
At this point, it's better to make sure you have already upgraded other gears.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #4,794 of 5,225
Maybe I need a better device to properly run them. I am listening in my samsung galaxy note 8 maybe that is the problem. I have red rear and black front, they are my favourite filters. Could you please send me a link with good tips for them? But not foam

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-EP-FX9...292027&hash=item2f012d0c7c:g:OlEAAOSwuLZY5xrr

They cost the same as comply foam tips, but they will last you much longer, and I think they sound better (they don't subdue treble as much as Comply). Very good investment, but the shipping does take a bit longer because they ship from Japan.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #4,795 of 5,225

Galaxy note 8 is fine. Trust me. It can be better of coz but I won't sacrifice convenience over sound.

Dec 5, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #4,796 of 5,225
https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-EP-FX9...292027&hash=item2f012d0c7c:g:OlEAAOSwuLZY5xrr

They cost the same as comply foam tips, but they will last you much longer, and I think they sound better (they don't subdue treble as much as Comply). Very good investment, but the shipping does take a bit longer because they ship from Japan.

How do you listen to your music? I do most of my listening through Tidal (one of the few apps with lossless streaming and downloading), and the LZ-A4 are a significant step up from anything under $50. They offer a one month trial, so I'd recommend you give it a go :)

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #4,797 of 5,225

Tbh I haven't come across anything that clearly outperform the A4 in the same (or lower) price bracket. There may or may not be something that better suited for your preference though. The ZS6 obviously works very well for you so in a way you're lucky as they're quite cheap. Personally I gave up on KZ a long time ago so I haven't heard any of the newer releases from them.

For me there's not many of my 100+ IEM's that can put up a fight with the A4's and even fewer in the same price bracket so YMMV (and it obviously does).

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #4,798 of 5,225
I have to say that I am a bit disappointed with the lz a4. Don't get me wrong they are very good, just not a worthy upgrade from the kz zs6. They have just a bit better soundstage and sound quality, the comfort of course is much better than the kz but for more than triple the price, I don't think they are worth it, I was expecting a wow factor from everything that I read, but I just can't feel the £185 that I paid from them, I tried the mod that you suggested but I didn't like the suction. I am seriously considering to return them to amazon and keep the kz zs6 until something really wow comes out...

Personally, i would give the A4s a week and after that go back to the ZS6. I've tried this on iems that don't give me the instant wow factor. Most of the time i'll go back to the A4s. The ZS6 is pretty bright, you can try the black front black rear filters or even the blue front which i think might suit you more. To get another iem which will give you a wow factor would be another step up and that means more expensive ones.

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #4,799 of 5,225
I'm not surprised. Even though I do not own KZ ZS6 before. I'm definitely not expecting to have a major difference between KZ ZS6 and LZ a4 in terms of sound quality.
Lets just say this.

To buy a level 80 gear, you need $15.
A level 90 gear, you need $50
A level 93 gear, you need $200.
At this point, it's better to make sure you have already upgraded other gears.

What higher end IEM's and/or headphones have owned to come to this conclusion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back