LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Oct 17, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #4,531 of 5,225
It broke right where the wire goes into the MMCX connector. Because I wear my LZ-A4 "up" to wrap behind my ear, basically the cable was constantly being pulled 90 degrees at where the cable meets the connector, so the clear plastic 'wrapper' cracked open exposing the black plastic cover of the wires. And I guess through the cracking and stretching, the copper inside probably got broken or stretched and doesn't connected properly anymore. When I first noticed the crack I came here asking people about MMCX cables. Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll get the replacement soon.

Btw, I also emailed PenonAudio (they sold me the A4 in February 2017) to see if I have any other options.

Thanks for that info! Love my A4s so may need to order a backup cable in advance as I also wear them 'up'.

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #4,532 of 5,225
Something new to ask all of you. I am eventually going to go over to the full-size can forums but it seems like a daunting task because up to this point in my short-lived head-fi career (4 years or so?) I have only ever looked at iem's

Basically to sum up my situation -- about 2 months ago, I 'got' (don't know where it came from) a condition called Cold Urticaria. You can quickly google that but the gist of it is that when I'm exposed to cold air (or anything else cold), the exposed skin breaks out in hives and begins to swell and hurt. It's started to get cold here in Toronto, so I'm looking for some audiophile alternatives. The LZ-A4 are great -- absolutely love them -- but they stick out a bit even when fully inserted into my ears and it means I can't wear a winter hat or earmuffs over them. I need to cover up because of the CU condition that I have. So I'm basically looking for a pair of closed over-the-ear headphones that I can use during my commute on the train to and from work/home. I figure this will cover my ears completely and keep them warm, and closed so that my fellow commuters don't need to be subjected to whatever I'm listening to.

My budget is ~$150cad ($100 USD). This is a serious condition that I have.. originally I thought it would go away but it seems to be getting worse. For example I can't even hold cold drinks with my bare hands anymore. Sound sig I'm looking for is similar to that of LZ-A4 Brooko filter combo (pink/black). I do not like V-shaped. Bass thump is a plus but I am not a basshead. I am sensitive to high trebles and/or sibilance from high-hats etc. I listen to mostly rock/alternative and occasionally some R&B/pop. Soundstage (obviously) is a prioritiy.

A family member suggested Sennheiser HD 598Cs or Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as a good starting place to look/compare with. Both appear to be in my price range. Any quick thoughts before I head on over to the full-sized can forums?

Sorry to hear about all that.

Try the massdrop sennheiser HD6xx

I do wonder... I am wearing a hat with mine right now... Maybe a new hat is a better solution?

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #4,533 of 5,225
Sorry to hear about all that.

Try the massdrop sennheiser HD6xx

I do wonder... I am wearing a hat with mine right now... Maybe a new hat is a better solution?

The HD6XX are double his budget and hardly suitable for portable usage......

Oct 17, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #4,534 of 5,225
The HD6XX are double his budget and hardly suitable for portable usage......
Tell that to the people I see rocking them on the bus.....

I'm not kidding.

Oct 17, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #4,535 of 5,225
Something new to ask all of you. I am eventually going to go over to the full-size can forums but it seems like a daunting task because up to this point in my short-lived head-fi career (4 years or so?) I have only ever looked at iem's

Basically to sum up my situation -- about 2 months ago, I 'got' (don't know where it came from) a condition called Cold Urticaria. You can quickly google that but the gist of it is that when I'm exposed to cold air (or anything else cold), the exposed skin breaks out in hives and begins to swell and hurt. It's started to get cold here in Toronto, so I'm looking for some audiophile alternatives. The LZ-A4 are great -- absolutely love them -- but they stick out a bit even when fully inserted into my ears and it means I can't wear a winter hat or earmuffs over them. I need to cover up because of the CU condition that I have. So I'm basically looking for a pair of closed over-the-ear headphones that I can use during my commute on the train to and from work/home. I figure this will cover my ears completely and keep them warm, and closed so that my fellow commuters don't need to be subjected to whatever I'm listening to.

My budget is ~$150cad ($100 USD). This is a serious condition that I have.. originally I thought it would go away but it seems to be getting worse. For example I can't even hold cold drinks with my bare hands anymore. Sound sig I'm looking for is similar to that of LZ-A4 Brooko filter combo (pink/black). I do not like V-shaped. Bass thump is a plus but I am not a basshead. I am sensitive to high trebles and/or sibilance from high-hats etc. I listen to mostly rock/alternative and occasionally some R&B/pop. Soundstage (obviously) is a prioritiy.

A family member suggested Sennheiser HD 598Cs or Audio-Technica ATH-M50x as a good starting place to look/compare with. Both appear to be in my price range. Any quick thoughts before I head on over to the full-sized can forums?

If you can increase that budget just a little more - then the Brainwavz B400 (IEMs) are perfect for you. I'll have a review up in the next 48 hours. Your ideal signature, very low profile, very comfortable, high isolation. Currently selling for USD $180. Not sure what taxes in Canada would be. Your problems with full sized headphones and covering up is ultimately going to be issues with hats. So low profile IEMs may be a lot easier

Oct 17, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,536 of 5,225
If you can increase that budget just a little more - then the Brainwavz B400 (IEMs) are perfect for you. I'll have a review up in the next 48 hours. Your ideal signature, very low profile, very comfortable, high isolation. Currently selling for USD $180. Not sure what taxes in Canada would be. Your problems with full sized headphones and covering up is ultimately going to be issues with hats. So low profile IEMs may be a lot easier

I agree, a lower profile iem would solve the problem. Thanks for the recommendation but $180 USD is about $250 CAD after tax.

I guess part of the reason I'm looking at cans is also because I'd rather expand my 'repertoire' rather than move laterally, if you know what I mean. I splurged well beyond my usual budget to get the LZ-A4 so that I wouldn't need to buy another iem for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #4,537 of 5,225
It broke right where the wire goes into the MMCX connector. Because I wear my LZ-A4 "up" to wrap behind my ear, basically the cable was constantly being pulled 90 degrees at where the cable meets the connector, so the clear plastic 'wrapper' cracked open exposing the black plastic cover of the wires. And I guess through the cracking and stretching, the copper inside probably got broken or stretched and doesn't connected properly anymore. When I first noticed the crack I came here asking people about MMCX cables. Thanks everyone! Hopefully I'll get the replacement soon.

Btw, I also emailed PenonAudio (they sold me the A4 in February 2017) to see if I have any other options.

Since I wear my cables over-the-ear, I found that one thing to do that alters the cable connection angle, is to just swap which earphone I put in which ear.
I regularly connect the "R" wire to the "L" earphone, and vice-versa - and insert them in my ears, based on the cable labels.

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #4,538 of 5,225
Since I wear my cables over-the-ear, I found that one thing to do that alters the cable connection angle, is to just swap which earphone I put in which ear.
I regularly connect the "R" wire to the "L" earphone, and vice-versa - and insert them in my ears, based on the cable labels.

Not a bad idea to mix it up a bit so that the wire doesn't get stiff and stuck one a particular shape. I'll keep that in mind once I get the new cable. Thanks!

Oct 18, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #4,539 of 5,225
I flipped mine around today and they definitely felt and looked more "right" that way.

Until I put on my hat.

With my hat I prefer them down, and so... I had to reverse them back.

CERTAINLY not a big deal, and in fact the flexibility is deadly. :)

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #4,540 of 5,225
Just to update, I'm still waiting on the VE cable that I ordered on AliExpress. In additional since I figure I don't want to be caught in this situation again, I went ahead and emailed Penonaudio to explain the situation, and they told me there's a new LZA4 cable upgrade. So I ordered that one as well, it's a little more pricey than the VE one obviously, but still not too bad and cheaper than the original upgrade cable that they were selling. Both are 8-core.

New upgrade cable, silver plated, white:
https://penonaudio.com/LZ-Silver-plated-Upgrade-Cable

The old upgrade cable, copper:
https://penonaudio.com/LZ-A4-MMCX-Earphone-Upgrade-Cable

As you can see the new one looks a lot nicer. So that one is on its way too, and I have a feeling Penon's shipment will arrive sooner even though I ordered the other one 3 weeks ago.

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #4,541 of 5,225
Just to update, I'm still waiting on the VE cable that I ordered on AliExpress. In additional since I figure I don't want to be caught in this situation again, I went ahead and emailed Penonaudio to explain the situation, and they told me there's a new LZA4 cable upgrade. So I ordered that one as well, it's a little more pricey than the VE one obviously, but still not too bad and cheaper than the original upgrade cable that they were selling. Both are 8-core.

New upgrade cable, silver plated, white:
https://penonaudio.com/LZ-Silver-plated-Upgrade-Cable

The old upgrade cable, copper:
https://penonaudio.com/LZ-A4-MMCX-Earphone-Upgrade-Cable

As you can see the new one looks a lot nicer. So that one is on its way too, and I have a feeling Penon's shipment will arrive sooner even though I ordered the other one 3 weeks ago.
How much you get discount on these cables ,?

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:24 PM Post #4,542 of 5,225
Hey Yall :)

We all know that IEMs typically have an amount of life in them before being replaced, possibly upgraded or changed way beyond the previous IEM. The LZ-A3 developed into the LZ-A4 which in doing so can easily lay claim to changing the IEM market in the $200 realm in not only quality, but choice in sound so far as the combination of backs and nozels. A real game changer I believe.

My main question is when can we hope for an LZ-A5? Is there any news, people who have an idea? Not sure LZ look at annual product releases as it was around December last year I believe the LZ-A4 was available for purchase?

Any and all info would be really appreciated...And speculation and rumours! Every little helps!

Cheers :)

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #4,543 of 5,225

We all know that IEMs typically have an amount of life in them before being replaced, possibly upgraded or changed way beyond the previous IEM. The LZ-A3 developed into the LZ-A4 which in doing so can easily lay claim to changing the IEM market in the $200 realm in not only quality, but choice in sound so far as the combination of backs and nozels. A real game changer I believe.

My main question is when can we hope for an LZ-A5? Is there any news, people who have an idea? Not sure LZ look at annual product releases as it was around December last year I believe the LZ-A4 was available for purchase?

Any and all info would be really appreciated...And speculation and rumours! Every little helps!

I think it'll be released really soon.... based on the fact that I only recently bought the A4.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #4,544 of 5,225

Well the LZ Big Dipper has been released since but I genuinely hope that there will be a more affordable A5 soon. After the success of the BD it will be interesting to see which way MrZ goes. Judging from my experience with the A4 and positive feedback on the Dipper it seems like he'd be able to go all out and compete with some of the industry big hitters in summit-fi if he chose to.

Oct 23, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #4,545 of 5,225
Well the LZ Big Dipper has been released since but I genuinely hope that there will be a more affordable A5 soon. After the success of the BD it will be interesting to see which way MrZ goes. Judging from my experience with the A4 and positive feedback on the Dipper it seems like he'd be able to go all out and compete with some of the industry big hitters in summit-fi if he chose to.

I also hope he releases a model that's somewhere in the middle, between the A4, and the much more expensive Big Dipper.
And, since all of my removable cables are MMCX, I'd prefer that it have MMCX connectors - or at least the option of MMCX or 2-pin.
(I'm getting to the age, that my first car (used) cost less than a lot of these earphones / earbuds that people are recommending... :relaxed: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back