LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Sep 1, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #4,456 of 5,225
Also, I guess I should have said I'm looking for earphones that are incrementally better than the LZ A4, rather than being 3 - 4 times more expensive. :astonished:

Maybe some that are in the $250 - $350 range.
And I really do prefer MMCX, for removable cables.
You can also check the MusicMaker Shock Wave3 ( 1dd+4ba) cost around $250, amazing bass and soundstage with more micro details if you can live with a brightish sound , other than SW3 i don't think you can find something better than A4 in $250 to $350 range .

Sep 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #4,457 of 5,225
two iems come to mind,
FLC8s: greater details in mids though I find them less emotive. Superb fluid and details in bass. It has my favorite tuning for the higher registers. A4 is still the more emotional and rhythmically engaging tunable hybrid.Also expect a holographic spherical soundstage with the 8s.

Dunu dn2000j - insanely resolving. I can see how some may enjoy it for instrumentals, maybe less so for vocals. They were definitely on the bright side. I've only spent one afternoon with them.

what's your favorite tuning on the LZ-A4 as of late?

Sep 1, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #4,458 of 5,225
two iems come to mind,
FLC8s: greater details in mids though I find them less emotive. Superb fluid and details in bass. It has my favorite tuning for the higher registers. A4 is still the more emotional and rhythmically engaging tunable hybrid.Also expect a holographic spherical soundstage with the 8s.

Dunu dn2000j - insanely resolving. I can see how some may enjoy it for instrumentals, maybe less so for vocals. They were definitely on the bright side. I've only spent one afternoon with them.

I do like mine with red back black front. A good thump with the bass balanced with good resolution. Abit of sacrifice in the treble but is good for house music

Sep 1, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #4,459 of 5,225

I am still loving Red Back / Black Front. My brain has become accustomed to this setup whereas during the first few days the Black fronts were too sensitive for me. I kept switching to Grey's or Green's or Red's but I couldn't part with the way the Black's sounded. Black Back with Black Front is too much for me, maybe too treble sensitive that way -- but adding the Red backs to add some warmth evens the whole signature out for me. I was coming from GR07 Classic's and this combo blows those out of the water.

It's got to the point now where I grab my LZ A4's at my computer to listen to music instead of my HE-400i's with the Schiit Uber stack. I am so happy to have discovered the A4's. Maybe one day in the future I'll grab the Big Dipper's too.

Sep 1, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #4,460 of 5,225
All about black back and gray front with spiral dot tips. Batman! Love these IEMs. Even the stock cable is great. They're my second favorite headphone behind the E-MU Teak, which isn't surprising since they sound better than most full-size cans in A4's price range.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #4,461 of 5,225
All about black back and gray front with spiral dot tips. Batman! Love these IEMs. Even the stock cable is great. They're my second favorite headphone behind the E-MU Teak, which isn't surprising since they sound better than most full-size cans in A4's price range.
A big fan of the Batman here. Such a great sound.

Sep 2, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,462 of 5,225
two iems come to mind,
FLC8s: greater details in mids though I find them less emotive. Superb fluid and details in bass. It has my favorite tuning for the higher registers. A4 is still the more emotional and rhythmically engaging tunable hybrid. Also expect a holographic spherical soundstage with the 8s.

A few months ago, I settled on Black Backs & Pink Nozzles - based on the chart of Nozzle Frequency Response graphs posted by @Brooko - but recently I began fiddling around again, and have most recently been using Red Backs & Gray Nozzles.

Sep 29, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #4,465 of 5,225
Hey guys, I've been enjoying my LZ-A4 for a few months now. I'm using the black backs and pink front and I love them.

I wear these up, and because of that the cable that connects into the MMCX connector is basically bent 90 degrees to wrap around my ear. I don't know if it's wear and tear or what, but the clear plastic covering over the cable where it bends 90 degrees has basically cracked and now the inner cable is exposed. I think it's probably only a matter of time before that cable cover also cracks and actual wire becomes exposed or worse, it just completely tears out of the MMCX connector. I could post a picture but the bottom line is, I think I need to get a replacement.

I'd like to get this pre-emptively rather than risk a few days (or even weeks depending on shipping times) without my LZ-A4. I saw the LZ-A4 cable upgrade on Penon. It's $55 USD which seems a little too steep for me. Can I pretty much just buy any MMCX cable or is there cheap and reliable one you guys can recommend? Thanks.

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #4,466 of 5,225
Hey guys, I've been enjoying my LZ-A4 for a few months now. I'm using the black backs and pink front and I love them.

I wear these up, and because of that the cable that connects into the MMCX connector is basically bent 90 degrees to wrap around my ear. I don't know if it's wear and tear or what, but the clear plastic covering over the cable where it bends 90 degrees has basically cracked and now the inner cable is exposed. I think it's probably only a matter of time before that cable cover also cracks and actual wire becomes exposed or worse, it just completely tears out of the MMCX connector. I could post a picture but the bottom line is, I think I need to get a replacement.

I'd like to get this pre-emptively rather than risk a few days (or even weeks depending on shipping times) without my LZ-A4. I saw the LZ-A4 cable upgrade on Penon. It's $55 USD which seems a little too steep for me. Can I pretty much just buy any MMCX cable or is there cheap and reliable one you guys can recommend? Thanks.
Yep, you can use any MMCX cable. I'm sure there will be people who can recommend good ones to buy. I have a few spare ones now that came with other earphones and haven't actually bought any separately.

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #4,467 of 5,225
I noticed on Penon there's a few by a company called "DIY". There's a few that are in the $30 range and even one at $13. I'd consider getting a cheap one I think as long as the sound isn't affected too greatly. I also saw a few on Amazon (canada) but the reviews aren't too promising. Just wondering if anyone has tried those ones and recommend a safe choice :) Another question I'd have is there any risk of sound degradation if I bought an mmcx cable that has a mic on it? Thanks guys!

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,468 of 5,225
I noticed on Penon there's a few by a company called "DIY". There's a few that are in the $30 range and even one at $13. I'd consider getting a cheap one I think as long as the sound isn't affected too greatly. I also saw a few on Amazon (canada) but the reviews aren't too promising. Just wondering if anyone has tried those ones and recommend a safe choice :) Another question I'd have is there any risk of sound degradation if I bought an mmcx cable that has a mic on it? Thanks guys!
A mic will not degrade the sound quality but some people think it's a common point of failure, though I've never had a cable fail at the mic yet.

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #4,469 of 5,225

Venture Electronics make pretty good, cheap cables. I'm not a huge fan of the color, but they are reliable and comfortable. Best of all, they're only $10 plus shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VE-Basic-mmcx-2-5trrs-3-5trrs-cable/32822060826.html?

Sep 29, 2017 at 12:50 PM Post #4,470 of 5,225
If you want a best cable for A4 go for these 16 core silver plated cable , price is about $60,
DSC_0002.JPG

and if you want something really good but not that expensive go for these silver and cooper mix cable the price is about $20 on NiceHCK store Aliexpress ,
1966459906-1521782787.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back