LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 18, 2017 at 12:52 PM Post #2,716 of 5,225
  Yea I was one of those who found the it03 uncomfortable. It was super comfortable putting it in, and what I imagine is similar to a ciem, but for me, there were a few pressure points that over a relatively short amount of time started causing pain. I ended up having to put a spiral dot tip over the outer flange of a small triple flange tip to extend them far enough away from my ears to eliminate the pressure points... which also negated the whole point of the "custom" shape anyways.

@ustinj I get what you are saying about the mids. But they never quite felt hollow to me. I think it maybe a slight coherence issue between the dd and the mid ba and maybe a slight dip in the lower mids. But to me I still preferred the sound I got out of them over any combination of filters I tried with the A4, which I think is at least in part to the excellent sub bass extension and bass balance and the more airy and crisp treble, that I just couldnt quite reproduce on the A4.

However, I have mostly moved on as I picked up some CA vegas that I absolutely love. So I havent put them on in a while, and certainly can't tell you if there is a combo that comes close to the sig of the andromeda, mainly because I havent heard them. However, it is my understanding that the andromeda is fairly neutral and nice and sparkly and airy up top, the A4 just doesnt have that same sparkle that I found even on the it03. And the A4 is not really neutral. It is a bit V shaped and the mids are somehwat recessed using the bassier and more treble-y filters. You can certainly tune it to the bring the mids up quite a bit, but I found that really bringing the mids up was too much at the expense of the bass and treble extension and quality. Of course, that was my personal experience, and others seem to adore the filters that I couldnt stand, so obviously ymmv.

I agree, the A4 doesn't have a lot of sparkle...  It is too smooth IMO, which is an aspect I love and is a reason I have dived into new music genres that take advantage of that and the soundstage, but I do miss the sparkle I was lucky enough to experience with the Trinity Delta VII's before I had to return them for poor fit (why I have the Atlas delta on preorder).  The Delta VII sparkle was much more comparable to the Andromeda sparkle, but couldn't come close to the overall balance the Andromeda has.

You can't really have smoothness like the A4's and sparkle at the same time IMO.

The A4's do have a lovely energy in the mids with gray and red front filters and in the upper mids with the greens, but you do lose the soundstage that, IMO, makes this IEM....

I am someone with a treble sensitivity so it is really nice to have an IEM with toned down upper frequencies and such smoothness, but I do miss a well balanced sparkle and upper frequency presentation if it's done right and the Andromedas do excel with that, but the edges on those ear monitors are far more uncomfortable than the A4's.

The A4's don't compete well with the andromeda's upper frequency presentation, but that's practically a $1,000 price difference, $900 to be exact.

But compared to the Andromeda, the A4's soundstage can compete, but to optimize it you get a totally different sounds signature.  All in all, they are very different IEM's despite the price difference.

Really happy to hear you love the Vega's!

Feb 18, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,717 of 5,225
it'd be rather blatant to write off the A4 --  for shy under 200$ what else would we expect? I say with full recommendation after having heard high resolution iems/hybrids under 500$ who forsake fullness in mids. I can only think of a few who are well reputed for both male and female vocals that tick that box off with justice. I think @ustinj
  also had the opportunity to hear the IT03 with fairness, and he wanted to inquire on the mids proposed by the A4. Beyond the strong pleasant experiences we share (and don't) share, I humbly believe that the LZ-A4 is a considerable hybrid for its price. The next higher priced recommendation would be the Dn2000.

Feb 18, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #2,718 of 5,225
I wasn't trying to write off the A4, I think it's great value for the price and totally worth it, it just has a fairly specific sound (even with the filters) that might not be for everyone, particularly for someone looking for sparkly treble especially when balanced with mids. Because together the mids forward, you have to sacrifice on the treble.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2,719 of 5,225
I wasn't trying to write off the A4, I think it's great value for the price and totally worth it, it just has a fairly specific sound (even with the filters) that might not be for everyone, particularly for someone looking for sparkly treble especially when balanced with mids. Because together the mids forward, you have to sacrifice on the treble.

well there's an assumption I'd like to address though I believe Indigo Bob laid it out pretty good. When someone wants to know about the mids of the A4, I'm simply responding directly to the inquiry. I agree with you everyone's mileage may vary but with enough people pitching in impressions and comparisons, it's a lot easier for people to make considerable purchasing decisions regarding the A4. A lot of us here feel that spending more may not be of interest since we're getting a lot. (I think you said that as well -- though I'm happy to hear that proud owners of the It03 feel strongly about their experience which testifies for a highly capable hybrid for its value). A4 owners in my esteem never feel ripped off if you asked me. I personally love this for its mids and its wide soundstage.

Feb 18, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #2,720 of 5,225
Interesting comments relative to the it03.  I though the it03 sounded good but for me I found it hard to get a comfortable fit.

Looking forward to hearing Brooko's thoughts on the A4 now that a pair is being sent to him for evaluation.

I wonder what tunings on the A4 are comparable to the A2?  And with those tunings what people's thoughts on the A2 and A4 compared might be.

Holding off on the A4 for now; mainly because my vendor was not able to deliver.  I have a pair of FLC8S already which are tunable and quite comfortable for me.  So back to holding off on these until I see a more detailed review from somebody that also has provided an in depth review of the FLC8S.  

I picked up the FLC8S for $280 or so; so for me its roughly in the same game as the A4 and the it03.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #2,721 of 5,225
I've been using the same combination for a few weeks. Have no intention to change except just to try a couple that I haven't tested, like the recent Red/B Grey/F that some people were praising.

Yes, try Red Gray. I seriously don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Feb 18, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #2,723 of 5,225

Obviously everyone hears things differently but to me the A4 doesn't lack sparkle in the treble department.

I use the black back and blue front and get a fine level of sub bass and treble without impacting the mids too much.

I've been experimenting for a while trying to find iems that suit my personal taste, and I think in the A4 I have found them.

I have the SE 864. UERM, Aurisonic Harmony amongst many others.

It has to be said that the UERM is technically superior but its still the A4 that I go for in the main.

Generally I don’t use portable amps though i do have a firestone fire eye. I dont personally find that its necessary, but everyone is different and hears things differently.

Feb 18, 2017 at 10:06 PM Post #2,724 of 5,225
So, balanced cable, is it worth it to go 8 core or is 4 core sufficient?

Hope you don't mind if I ride on your question. So what exactly constitutes as a core?

https://www.etsy.com/sg-en/listing/473771210/custom-4ft-type-6-copper-litz-iem-cable?ref=hp_rv
For something like these, each cable has 6 groups of copper wires. Is it still considered a 4 core cable?

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:47 AM Post #2,725 of 5,225
I recently purchased the E17k based on Brooko's review. I use it with iPhone 7 +and a$13 micro USB-lightning cable with the A4
I'm impressed with SQ at the low volumes I enjoy listening.
The only downside is how to keep E17k and phone together so I can still use my screen on the phone(I found a way, the combo has little weight)

So everything should be bliss...right but no. I'm wondering now if the Dragonfly black at $100 price point would really be a better option since it's so small and it could just dangle and not need to wrapped together with the phone.
But I love some of the options of gain/treble/bass adjustments)
Jeez I'm never happy.

Do other people use Dual Lock Tape to attach their devices? It's a perfect solution for me, it has a super firm grip, and leaves little to no residue when peeled off.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #2,726 of 5,225
Do other people use Dual Lock Tape to attach their devices? It's a perfect solution for me, it has a super firm grip, and leaves little to no residue when peeled off.

I have a  leather case on my iPhone so I am not sure if Dual Lock tape would work well. In addition, I don't want to carry the combo all all times, it's too heavy.

Thanks for the idea I will look at it.

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #2,727 of 5,225
cool.gif
I use magnetic Tape found in a Roll or strips at most hardware. Works like a Charm:

BTW: The adhesive on the Tape won't stick to silicone cases.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #2,728 of 5,225
:cool: I use magnetic Tape found in a Roll or strips at most hardware. Works like a Charm:

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Shanling m5? that must be a match made in heaven! I'm curious how the M4 is going to sound like...

Feb 19, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,729 of 5,225
Shanling m5? that must be a match made in heaven! I'm curious how the M4 is going to sound like...

biggrin.gif
Thanx Pony. Yes, and coupled to the Aune B1 in Class A mode ?, well I simply don't need to look for anything else.....

Famous last words.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back