LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
Feb 16, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #2,656 of 5,225
Gee. I can definitely say that this point, these can shoulder the Zen 2.0 Earbuds in terms of width which brings a big smile on my face...color me impressed.

I reckon the Zen2.0 providing me more resolution (I'm using that with my Shanling M3), whereas I'm pairing the A4 with an entry dap like ihifi 770 paired with an Alo Rx :S

oh yes, I'm rocking a red back/black nozzle. the vertical isn't as tall but we ain't far either!

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2,657 of 5,225
Don't let me spoil the fun for you or anyone else. A fair number of us here didn't think much re:grey filters...but they are as good as the red, green, black and blue. I love the A4 because they have this splendid quality to bring out the flavor. For anyone on the fence, think of it like preparing your chicken. You got your syrupy honey, and different spices. You can go for jerk chicken to red curry the next. That my friends is a good value
wink.gif

btw@alvinlim, if memory serves me right, do you happen to match your A4 with a Shanling M2 DAP? Really curious how that pairs up.

Ah, I do not have the M2, I recently sold my DX90 and gotten a Opus #1. For some reason I feel it does not pair too well with the DX90...just feels too sharp and clinical. With the Opus #1 and the limited testing I done so far, works much better!

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #2,658 of 5,225
Don't let me spoil the fun for you or anyone else. A fair number of us here didn't think much re:grey filters...but they are as good as the red, green, black and blue. I love the A4 because they have this splendid quality to bring out the flavor. For anyone on the fence, think of it like preparing your chicken. You got your syrupy honey, and different spices. You can go for jerk chicken to red curry the next. That my friends is a good value
wink.gif

btw@alvinlim, if memory serves me right, do you happen to match your A4 with a Shanling M2 DAP? Really curious how that pairs up.

Ah, I do not have the M2, I recently sold my DX90 and gotten a Opus #1. For some reason I feel it does not pair too well with the DX90...just feels too sharp and clinical. With the Opus #1 and the limited testing I done so far, works much better!

I had bought the Shanling M3 knowing I was gonna buy the Zen 2.0 (they work superbly well!), and was at first underwhelmed with the A4 pairing. I toned down the highs a bit, and rewarded myself with a really sweet sounding iem pairing. Female vocals sound superb and very salty caramel like hehehe. With a strong internals, I'm rewarded with a darker background and more resolution as well. Glad you're enjoying this with your opus1 -- another piece of gear that everyone praises here in head fi. cheers!

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2,659 of 5,225
I had bought the Shanling M3 knowing I was gonna buy the Zen 2.0 (they work superbly well!), and was at first underwhelmed with the A4 pairing. I toned down the highs a bit, and rewarded myself with a really sweet sounding iem pairing. Female vocals sound superb and very salty caramel like hehehe. With a strong internals, I'm rewarded with a darker background and more resolution as well. Glad you're enjoying this with your opus1 -- another piece of gear that everyone praises here in head fi. cheers!

Great that you are enjoying your A4 and pairing as well! There is just so much combinations and experiments to do, I also hope not to fall down the slippery slope too much...I think at least for this year my Opus will be sufficient. Anything beyond I will be very reluctant to spend! The bug is going to strike !

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:09 AM Post #2,660 of 5,225
I wouldn't count out Jackpot77 either...unless he's too busy enjoying his A4!

Cheers, man. Always nice to be remembered! :wink:

I am definitely still enjoying mine, and have been trying to write them up for a while, but I am behind on a few other reviews I need to post and just started a new project in work which is taking up most of my free time so getting chance to actually finish the review is proving tricky!

To much gear, not enough ears, as the phrase goes. Well definitely try and get my impressions up shortly, though.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:04 AM Post #2,661 of 5,225
No, it's just that LZ can't read English and he is running a small business in China (risking his marriage in making IEMs).
Embarrassingly, as friend of his, I'm kinda ignorant about the many excellent reviewers here. 

Thanks @originalsnuffy
 for recommending Brooko, and thanks @SeeSax
 for your willingness to lend your A4.
I've just helped LZ ship a review sample to Brooko.

As far as I know, there're at least four fruitful reviews coming. One from Bhazard, one from Hisoundfi, one from Virtu Fortuna and one from Brooko.

:beerchug:  

Edit: Btw, you guys can talk to LZ directly through Taobao, and there is a QQ group, which I'm not very familiar with...

Thx. Just tell LZ they are amazing and his wife should be proud!

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,662 of 5,225
No, it's just that LZ can't read English and he is running a small business in China (risking his marriage in making IEMs).
Embarrassingly, as friend of his, I'm kinda ignorant about the many excellent reviewers here. 

Thanks @originalsnuffy
 for recommending Brooko, and thanks @SeeSax
 for your willingness to lend your A4.
I've just helped LZ ship a review sample to Brooko.

As far as I know, there're at least four fruitful reviews coming. One from Bhazard, one from Hisoundfi, one from Virtu Fortuna and one from Brooko.

:beerchug:  

Edit: Btw, you guys can talk to LZ directly through Taobao, and there is a QQ group, which I'm not very familiar with...

I'd be surprised if the a4 was Brooko's thing, but I was wrong once before so it could happen again.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #2,663 of 5,225
I'd be surprised if the a4 was Brooko's thing, but I was wrong once before so it could happen again.
Well even if it was so... Knowing this could still be helpful for others. There are some reviewers here who have completely different tastes than me. So if one of them gives a headphone a so-so review, complaining about not enough treble, I know I should give that 'phone a listen . Just as an example :wink:

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #2,664 of 5,225
Anyone compare A4 with RHA T20?

Feb 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #2,665 of 5,225
Since daps have been discussed here, does anyone have a recommendation for an Android based dap that pairs well with these A4?

Currently enjoying these out of my Fiio E18 and HTC 10 but a good dap would simplify things.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,666 of 5,225
Since daps have been discussed here, does anyone have a recommendation for an Android based dap that pairs well with these A4?

Currently enjoying these out of my Fiio E18 and HTC 10 but a good dap would simplify things.

I use the Onkyo DP-X1 (original model), which I've unlocked and rooted.  The new DP-X1A supposedly sounds better, and has longer battery life.  Both of these are Android 5.1.1 based.

A budget model Android DAP would be the Cayin i5, which I nearly bought, but decided on the model with balanced output.  The i5 is Android 4.4 based.
A more expensive model would be the Fiio X7, which is Android 5.1.1 based - but they're apparently working on upgrades.

Feb 16, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,667 of 5,225

I am using the Bit Opus #1 with good results.  It is android based, but a very simplified android.  No wifi, no bluetooth. Just got a balanced cable in, and I am very impressed so far.

Feb 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #2,668 of 5,225

The Fiio X5 3rd gen looks incredible. I'm getting a chance to review it next week, along with the Aune S6 DAC.

I'll have to hold off my A4 review until I finish these two tours, but the A4 will be running balanced on both of these, along with the LH Labs V2+ Infinity. All of these options will be incredible pairings with the A4. There is extra oomph in running balanced on the V2+ that you just can't get single ended.

Feb 16, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #2,669 of 5,225
I am using the Bit Opus #1 with good results.  It is android based, but a very simplified android.  No wifi, no bluetooth. Just got a balanced cable in, and I am very impressed so far.

I am running that as well, but I am using the stock cables on the A4...any recommended balanced cable for the A4? Hope not to go into the uber-ex cable territory though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back