LYR: Faint, staticky, high-pitched noise issue
Jan 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #16 of 22
My clock radio would always buzz the second before a call or text would come into my phone.  Sometimes, the phone could be several feet away and the same would still happen.

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 22
Seems it was mostly EFI... moved further from the computer helped a bit, but the biggest difference was unplugging the USB cable from the DAC from a hub and directly into the computer (even tho I heard the noise with the DAC disconnected, evidently it was looping through the power cord or something?)

Was still a bit of static bursts left, however swapping tubes swapped the channels, so apparently I have a noisy tube (still burning in, so it may go away).

I feel soo much better now :)

thanks to all!

Jan 4, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 22
I've successfully been able to eliminate tube static several times by taking a brass brush and cleaning off the tube pins.  Then, rinse with isopropyl alcohol.  Clean looking pins aren't always actually clean.

Quote:

Was still a bit of static bursts left, however swapping tubes swapped the channels, so apparently I have a noisy tube (still burning in, so it may go away).

I feel soo much better now :)

thanks to all!

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #19 of 22
FWIW, rolled in some russian 6N1P-EVs and the hiss was cut to a level it's barely audible.  Seems the stock JJ-E88CCs are a bit noisy for those of us with higher sensitivity headphones.

Now I have to try some other tubes to see what happens.. oh god my wallet...

Mar 12, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #20 of 22
Did you ever find out if it was the tubes?
  FWIW, rolled in some russian 6N1P-EVs and the hiss was cut to a level it's barely audible.  Seems the stock JJ-E88CCs are a bit noisy for those of us with higher sensitivity headphones.

Now I have to try some other tubes to see what happens.. oh god my wallet...

Did you ever find out if it was the tubes?  My Lyr has that high pitched noise on the left channel.

Mar 14, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 22
I had had the impression that Schiit stuff was pretty much trouble free, but sure seems to be a lot of people having noise issues recently with the Lyr amp in particular. First it was humming in the Asgard 2 and now this with the Lyr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back