Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Sep 21, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #2,612 of 3,350
Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,613 of 3,350
Sep 21, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #2,615 of 3,350
Can someone here tell me if the multi-bit is worth the extra $100?

I am trying to stretch my budget and upgrade to the Lyr 3 from my E30/L30 stack since I got my Aryas, and that $100 is certainly a difference maker for me right now =/

I could keep my E30 as well and just get the amp portion, but I'm not sure how well that would work?
I, for one, much prefer outboard DACs (and since I don’t use any USB sources, I guess I have to use outboard...). With that out of the way, Multibit IS worth it, to my ears. If you get the amp and keep the E30, then it’s your call (and wallet) on if/when you upgrade the DAC. No need to build Rome in a day...

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #2,616 of 3,350
Hey there Lyr 3 owners, question for the panel: has anyone here tried rolling a pair of C3Gs via adapter into their Lyr?

I know this tube has a great reputation substituting for 6SN7s in other applications so curious to know how it’d do here...

Nov 10, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #2,617 of 3,350
Hey there Lyr 3 owners, question for the panel: has anyone here tried rolling a pair of C3Gs via adapter into their Lyr?

I know this tube has a great reputation substituting for 6SN7s in other applications so curious to know how it’d do here...
6SN7 is a Double Triode tube
C3g is a Pentode tube

So... as far as I know - even with adapter it will not work.
I am curious: where (which amp) do people use C3g to substitute 6SN7?

Nov 10, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #2,618 of 3,350
6SN7 is a Double Triode tube
C3g is a Pentode tube

So... as far as I know - even with adapter it will not work.
I am curious: where (which amp) do people use C3g to substitute 6SN7?

Lots of guys seem to run a pair of C3gs into a 6sn7 via adapter. Little dot and Glenn threads are ripe with impressions

Nov 10, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #2,619 of 3,350
Lots of guys seem to run a pair of C3gs into a 6sn7 via adapter. Little dot and Glenn threads are ripe with impressions
I have a Glenn OTL amp, but it has dedicated sockets for the C3g tubes.
I did not know an adapter could allow for 2 x C3g tubes in a 6SN7 socket.

Dec 28, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #2,621 of 3,350
Should the Lyr 3 be hot to the point of pain after ~3-5 seconds, after being turned on for 1-2 hours? I just received this unit secondhand. It is reasonable ventilated. Running a Ken-rad 6SN7 black glass. Power cord is some lower gauge (higher quality) one I had from a previous Decware amp, not sure brand. I do expect the amp itself to be hot, but even the volume knob is noticeably hot (not painful like the rest of the chassis, but definitely hot).

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 9:40 PM Post #2,622 of 3,350
Should the Lyr 3 be hot to the point of pain after ~3-5 seconds, after being turned on for 1-2 hours? I just received this unit secondhand. It is reasonable ventilated. Running a Ken-rad 6SN7 black glass. Power cord is some higher gauge/quality one I had from a previous Decware amp, not sure brand. I do expect the amp itself to be hot, but even the volume knob is noticeably hot (not painful like the rest of the chassis, but definitely hot).

Maybe you should try it with the official power supply Schiit ships it with as a first step.

Dec 28, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #2,623 of 3,350
Should the Lyr 3 be hot to the point of pain after ~3-5 seconds, after being turned on for 1-2 hours? I just received this unit secondhand. It is reasonable ventilated. Running a Ken-rad 6SN7 black glass. Power cord is some higher gauge/quality one I had from a previous Decware amp, not sure brand. I do expect the amp itself to be hot, but even the volume knob is noticeably hot (not painful like the rest of the chassis, but definitely hot).

My experience it shouldn’t get quite that hot, it only really got warm to slightly hot. Sounds like it’s getting Lyr 2 hot, because that was how my Lyr 2 was in terms of heat. I used a nice thick power cord on mine and never had issues. You mean lower gauge? As lower means thicker wire and high quality power cables tend to be thicker. Could be the tube making it run hotter, some tubes do run hotter, not familiar with that particular tube.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 11:15 PM Post #2,624 of 3,350
My experience it shouldn’t get quite that hot, it only really got warm to slightly hot. Sounds like it’s getting Lyr 2 hot, because that was how my Lyr 2 was in terms of heat. I used a nice thick power cord on mine and never had issues. You mean lower gauge? As lower means thicker wire and high quality power cables tend to be thicker. Could be the tube making it run hotter, some tubes do run hotter, not familiar with that particular tube.

Sorry definitely meant lower gauge cord! The AWG numbers always throw me off with them being inverse to the thickness. I'll try switching around power cords and tubes as well to see if either makes a difference.

Dec 28, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #2,625 of 3,350
Is Lyr 3 stacked atop of another piece of gear? Also, is there clearance on each side to allow cool air to enter side vents?

Do try another tube as some do run hotter than others. Best tip for keeping it cool is to use a socket saver to lift the tube up a bit. Makes a huge difference in my Lyr 3 temps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back