Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 31, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #1,201 of 3,350
OK, I'm going to back off on my statement as I am repeating what others have said in a Schiit thread. However, as far as I know, neither Jason nor Mike has dispelled that rumor in the announcement thread. I'll fire off an e-mail to Schiit tomorrow and see what they have to say about it. I have a separate Modi Mutibit DAC so it's a non-issue for me, but I'd like to get the 'correct' answer out there where it's easier to find.
Sorry, I wish it were easier to search these forums. I distinctly remember reading somewhere what I wrote above, and technically I don't know how it could be otherwise given the complexity of the multibit circuitry. But it's late and my memory could be playing tricks...

May 31, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #1,202 of 3,350
Sent an e-mail to Info@schiit.com asking about this. Hopefully, we'll get the straight poop on whether it's amp powered and still powered when Lyr 3 is switched off.

May 31, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #1,203 of 3,350
Schiit told me several times that "
The only DAC we recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil. The DAC (The Analog Devices AD5547) in the Bifrost and Lyr 3 are a different Multibit DAC than the one in the Yggdrasil ( Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ x 4 [2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration] ) and does not need to be left on 24/7."

Also stated that the seperate multibit dacs would not hurt to be left on.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #1,204 of 3,350
Schiit told me several times that "
The only DAC we recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil. The DAC (The Analog Devices AD5547) in the Bifrost and Lyr 3 are a different Multibit DAC than the one in the Yggdrasil ( Analog Devices AD5791BRUZ x 4 [2 per channel, hardware balanced configuration] ) and does not need to be left on 24/7."

Also stated that the seperat multibit dacs woukd not hurt to be left on.

This is what I remember hearing, and was my take away as well. My Bifrost stays on all the time.

May 31, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #1,205 of 3,350
Well there we have it.

Thanks!

May 31, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #1,206 of 3,350
I emailed schiit about this towards the start of the thread...the internal dac modules are not powered when the amp is powered off. I personally don’t see a huge difference from a cold start to a running 24hrs multibit module, there is a difference. But it’s not night and day like some may lead you to believe. If you really enjoy or are concearned about keeping the dac warmed up, just switch the amp on in the morning and off b4 bed. I normally switch it on when I get home from work, then shower, eat dinner, relax a bit and listen afterwards and it’s plenty warmed by that point. On weekends I switch it on when I wake up and turn it off when I go to bed

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #1,207 of 3,350
I see that there is a 4493 DAC now. Only monoprice's upcoming thx dac/amp seem to have it. I am leaning to the multibit, but prefer not to have to leave it on 24/7. plus i question whether or not i would actually notice a difference.
The further up the food chain, the less i can perceive. Whereas speakers and headphones are the easiest to tell apart. source material / amps become harder to distinguish for me.

as an aside, i noticed that my ether flow sound significantly better in high gain mode on my jds element. so the extra power seems like a good option re: the lyr3.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #1,208 of 3,350
I am leaning to the multibit, but prefer not to have to leave it on 24/7.

It seems that I have perpetuated an erroneous bit of Head-fi MB lore...

I have since learned that several folks have reached out to Schiit and confirmed that the only DAC that needs to be on 7x24 is the relatively uber expensive Yggy which uses a different chip and topology. The remaining Multibit DAC line and DAC option modules do NOT need to remain on in order to perform optimally.

So go ahead and buy the MB option card for Lyr 3 w/o fear of racking up your power bill, burning through tubes, or it sounding blah!!

Sorry for the confusion. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,209 of 3,350
It seems that I have perpetuated an erroneous bit of Head-fi MB lore...

I have since learned that several folks have reached out to Schiit and confirmed that the only DAC that needs to be on 7x24 is the relatively uber expensive Yggy which uses a different chip and topology. The remaining Multibit DAC line and DAC option modules do NOT need to remain on in order to perform optimally.

So go ahead and buy the MB option card for Lyr 3 w/o fear of racking up your power bill, burning through tubes, or it sounding blah!!

Sorry for the confusion. :frowning2:
One other option is to stick a cheap Russian tube in it and leave it on 24/7. Replace every 6 months and still be money in the bank 3 years later. Not sure who would be stupid enough to do that, but there's always someone out there. :grin:

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #1,211 of 3,350
Hi guys, I recently sold my Lyr 3 (with TS 6SN7) to @jamesofla80 . Unfortunately, James has been experiencing a buzz when touching the volume knob. The buzz is faint on Low Gain and can be noticed upon listening closely. On High Gain, the buzz becomes clearly audible when going past 12 o' clock on the volume pot. I was always on Low Gain and so never came across the buzz because, either I did not have it or because I didn't closely listen for it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Could it be a ground loop or a noisy socket or a microphonic tube?

Thanks for your help!

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,212 of 3,350
Nothing like that here. Strange, indeed. Perhaps a defective unit?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,214 of 3,350
Hi guys, I recently sold my Lyr 3 (with TS 6SN7) to @jamesofla80 . Unfortunately, James has been experiencing a buzz when touching the volume knob. The buzz is faint on Low Gain and can be noticed upon listening closely. On High Gain, the buzz becomes clearly audible when going past 12 o' clock on the volume pot. I was always on Low Gain and so never came across the buzz because, either I did not have it or because I didn't closely listen for it. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Could it be a ground loop or a noisy socket or a microphonic tube?
No buzz in my setup. However, there are faint microphonics when grasping the knob, likely from the mechanical vibrations reaching the tube. I did have a power hum in high gain when the RCAs from the DAC were laying close and across the power cable, but that's gone now that I used a shielded power cable I had around and lifted the RCA cables 3 in above the power cable. But what @jamesofla80 hears seems more like a grounding issue. In my setup (see sig below), streamer, DDC, DAC, and Lyr 3 are all powered by a shared Isobar Tripp-Lite 6 outlet surge protector, so they are all grounded together.

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #1,215 of 3,350

Thanks for your help!
Check input as well. If RCA, get the cable away from other power or signal cables. Try a different RCA cable if possible.

Same if using usb and an internal card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back