Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 28, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,141 of 3,350
Tube coolers? I don't like'em. A properly designed enclosure should provide adequate ventilation and cooling. If it doesn't I don't think tube coolers will make a difference.

May 28, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #1,142 of 3,350
Which seller? SND? If so, I've purchased from them several times over the years and received exactly what was advertised. Here's a few more I've personally purchased from (some already mentioned) with good success:

http://www.audiotubes.com/
http://vintagetubeservices.com/
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/vacuum-tubes
http://www.tubeaudiostore.com/
https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

I've had mostly good luck on Ebay, though I've also received supposedly 'tested good' tubes with dead shorts in them which is not a happy situation. Some amps have fuse(s) or sacrificial resistors that blow and protect the amp, some report such a condition with smoke signals. I don't know what would happen with the Lyr 3. Not suggesting you shouldn't buy from Ebay just be aware of the risk and pick/choose the seller carefully. Unfortunately the feedback rating is worthless, as one of the most prolific re-labelers in the business (BangyBangTubes) has 100% positive feedback...

I agree on eBay. Hit or miss. Out of your list I most like:

http://www.audiotubes.com/ (Brent Jessee ... the site is a bit of a pain to navigate though)
https://tubeworldexpress.com/ (where https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm points to and easier to navigate)

In my experience if Brent Jessee does not have what you are looking for Tube World Express will.

May 28, 2018 at 11:26 PM Post #1,143 of 3,350
You do need at least 1/2 hour after switch-on before close listening, at least with a Ken-Rad VT-231. Got back home from the long weekend and wanted to check a specific track in my collection. The rest of the chain (streamer, DDC, DAC) was powered up, but not the amp. Turned it on, cued the track a few minutes after. Yech, the band seemed to be playing from the bottom of a barrel. 30 minutes later, much better. 3 hours later, superb. It's not just habituation, in the meanwhile I also listened to my speaker system (although not with the being-upgraded Yggy, just with a Soekris dac1541 with 1.20 filters, which is pretty nice even if not Yggy level).

May 28, 2018 at 11:33 PM Post #1,144 of 3,350
Breaking-in the stock 68NS NOS Russian tube. After about 5 hours, here are some initial thoughts ...
  • It's opening up a little bit. While the vocals/midrange was a bit harsh and disappointing at first, it has smoothed out somewhat.
  • Compared to the Ken-Rad and Tung-Sol, it sounds a bit congested with a more collapsed soundstage.
  • Although the mids are not as nice as the other 2 tubes, vocals and instruments do seem nicely placed and focused -- just a smaller stage that is not as open or airy.
  • Treble seems a bit rolled-off with bass lacking the extension of the KR and punch of the Tung-Sol, but not too shabby.
  • While it does present the textures and layers found in recordings, it is certainly not to the extent and clarity of the KR and Tung-SOL.
Remember, it's only been 5 hours. I'm really curious to see what another 24 hours will do as far as additional improvements. So far it's really quite a respectable and neutral tube for a value price of $8! While nothing glorious, yet -- it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of either.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,146 of 3,350
My point was I see some posters spending hundreds of dollars on tubes when they should instead be saving up for a Zana Deux S, Kenzie or DNA tube amp. Watch the for sale board and pick one up used even.
That's assuming somebody wants a Zana Deuz S, Kenzie, or DNA amp sitting on their desk at work, which I don't.

The point you're trying to make doesn't fit into everybody's usage scenarios.

May 29, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,147 of 3,350
So, this is slightly off topic... I was inquiring about the Lyr3 when i was advised to spend the $$$ on better headphones first. I have the Monoprice m1060v2 with the upgraded copper cable. I upgraded the standard issue cable to the new copper cable and it changed the headphones. Great detail and space in the mids and treble. Frankly, i love this headphone, but i was curious, so went and bought a pair of used Ether Flow. i am listening to them on a JDS element using google play stream.

I am unfortunately underwhelmed by the ether flow. After all the hype and ridiculous reviews, i kinda prefer my m1060. is that a function of the amp? or could there be something wrong with the ether flow? Or is there something wrong with ME?????

The ether flow have great detail, very clean, and refined sound, but they are laid back and "dark". the bass is stronger and deeper than the m1060, but the mids and treble feel tight and not airy, like i had the treble tone control dialed all the way down. If that is how they are supposed to sound, then the issue is just me, and i may need to get something different. I did order a silver braided cable thinking it might be a bit brighter in the upper range. hasn't arrived yet.

Could it be the jds element? i love that amp but it does need to work harder to drive the ether flow. the m1060 is a ridiculously easy set of headphones to drive. I have to crank the volume way up for the ether to get the same volume output.

so, back to the lyr3. Is this something i should consider upgrading to match the ether flow? most reviews say the ether are a bit on the bright side, but frankly that is the opposite of what i'm hearing. thx for any help.

May 29, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #1,148 of 3,350
Monoprice -> Ether Flow? Wow that's a big jump. I thought my X2 & DT770 -> AFO was excessive.

I've never heard Ether Flow, but your description generally sounds like what it's supposed to be. My only comment would be since they're planar, if the amp is underpowered it might make them sound a little anemic.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #1,149 of 3,350
Monoprice -> Ether C? Wow that's a big jump. I thought my X2 & DT770 -> AFO was excessive.
Ether flow is a big jump. The Aeon flow I have read will match well. No clue on the Ether.

I did hear the original Ether. Bright is a good term for those.

I've only heard the element a few times, so I couldn't really tell you how it compares.

May 29, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,150 of 3,350
There are three things I believe in regarding audio / technology:
1. The law of diminishing returns. The curve towards very expensive tech usually carries small increases in performance. I like to sit on the sweet spot for tech performance / price ratio. As a used pair, the ether flow fit that criteria well. If i bought new maybe the aeon flow?
2. Used vs new: Whenever possible, buy high quality used. Let the first owner take the hit on depreciation. This applies to high end cans, sports cars, and swiss watches especially.
3. Incremental upgrades are expensive: if you look back at the times you have made small upgrades in either amps / speakers / headphones, etc.. and then add the $$$ spent vs just jumping to the end of the line, i bet for most of us, that is the more expensive path.

This is why i jumped to the ether flow. I can always sell back to ebay if these just aren't my cup of tea. I was just wondering if there is something else I need to do. If a pair of planar headphones is defective, would it sound dark? I'm guessing not, but i don't know for sure.

thx!

May 29, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,151 of 3,350
Breaking-in the stock 68NS NOS Russian tube. After about 5 hours, here are some initial thoughts ...
  • It's opening up a little bit. While the vocals/midrange was a bit harsh and disappointing at first, it has smoothed out somewhat.
  • Compared to the Ken-Rad and Tung-Sol, it sounds a bit congested with a more collapsed soundstage.
  • Although the mids are not as nice as the other 2 tubes, vocals and instruments do seem nicely placed and focused -- just a smaller stage that is not as open or airy.
  • Treble seems a bit rolled-off with bass lacking the extension of the KR and punch of the Tung-Sol, but not too shabby.
  • While it does present the textures and layers found in recordings, it is certainly not to the extent and clarity of the KR and Tung-SOL.
Remember, it's only been 5 hours. I'm really curious to see what another 24 hours will do as far as additional improvements. So far it's really quite a respectable and neutral tube for a value price of $8! While nothing glorious, yet -- it is certainly nothing to be ashamed of either.

Well, after 24 hours, the stock NOS Russian tube seems to have opened up a little bit more leading to a less congested sound. Earlier assessment of other attributes (highs, bass soundstage, air, etc) pretty much remain the same. If your headphones are a bit too bright for you, this tube could be a nice pairing. All-in-all, not a bad tube. Doesn't really excel in any one area and really doesn't suck in any one area. A good neutral/unoffensive tube representing a good 1st tube experience at a value price.

Going back to the Ken-Rad ...

... for now ...

(I couldn't help it !!)

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/early-russian-6h8c-6sn7?variant=21829016965

0aa6df164fe5726276c18298cd905eba_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #1,152 of 3,350
Well, after 24 hours, the stock NOS Russian tube seems to have opened up a little bit more leading to a less congested sound. Earlier assessment of other attributes (highs, bass soundstage, air, etc) pretty much remain the same. If your headphones are a bit too bright for you, this tube could be a nice pairing. All-in-all, not a bad tube. Doesn't really excel in any one area and really doesn't suck in any one area. A good neutral/unoffensive tube representing a good 1st tube experience at a value price.

Going back to the Ken-Rad ...

... for now ...

(I couldn't help it !!)

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/early-russian-6h8c-6sn7?variant=21829016965

0aa6df164fe5726276c18298cd905eba_1024x1024.jpg

I just finished up a session with this very same tube from Upscale (I got the stock Tung-Sol with the LYR 3). I found this pretty much as you said of the stock version. I did note a very, very slight bit of grit in the highs most noticeable on large scale orchestral works at peaks but other than that I especially liked this tube with Jazz and Rock. It's a bit close-in to the players, but clean enough to be exciting in a good way. Smaller ensembles typical of Jazz and Rock aren't usually recorded in a large acoustic space so I didn't find it a problem. Percussive effects in particular were effectively brought across with nice attack and decay on this tube.

And, that completes my first traversal of all 11 6SN7's I have. I'll do some casual listening for a while to get some more hours on the tubes and make one more run through the gauntlet when I get back from vacation next month (and see how the queue is for Yggy B at that point). I need to get some fine dining and drinking in for a change of pace. Let my ear cool down.

May 29, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,153 of 3,350
I found this pretty much as you said of the stock version.

Dratz. The older Russian tubes seem to garner a high level of praise. I was hoping for a diamond in the rough sounding more akin to a Melz 68HC than to the supplied NOS Russian tube that comes with Lyr 3. It'll be fun to see how she does. Who knows -- maybe you got a bum tube!! :D

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,154 of 3,350
So, this is slightly off topic... I was inquiring about the Lyr3 when i was advised to spend the $$$ on better headphones first. I have the Monoprice m1060v2 with the upgraded copper cable. I upgraded the standard issue cable to the new copper cable and it changed the headphones. Great detail and space in the mids and treble. Frankly, i love this headphone, but i was curious, so went and bought a pair of used Ether Flow. i am listening to them on a JDS element using google play stream.

I am unfortunately underwhelmed by the ether flow. After all the hype and ridiculous reviews, i kinda prefer my m1060. is that a function of the amp? or could there be something wrong with the ether flow? Or is there something wrong with ME?????

The ether flow have great detail, very clean, and refined sound, but they are laid back and "dark". the bass is stronger and deeper than the m1060, but the mids and treble feel tight and not airy, like i had the treble tone control dialed all the way down. If that is how they are supposed to sound, then the issue is just me, and i may need to get something different. I did order a silver braided cable thinking it might be a bit brighter in the upper range. hasn't arrived yet.

Could it be the jds element? i love that amp but it does need to work harder to drive the ether flow. the m1060 is a ridiculously easy set of headphones to drive. I have to crank the volume way up for the ether to get the same volume output.

so, back to the lyr3. Is this something i should consider upgrading to match the ether flow? most reviews say the ether are a bit on the bright side, but frankly that is the opposite of what i'm hearing. thx for any help.

The Ether's are a bit less sensitive than the m1060's (92dB vs 96dB), but they have an easier impedance load at 32 ohms vs 50. If the specs are true for both, I would expect the Ethers to play at the same level (and probably louder) at a given volume setting. If you're having to crank the volume knob way up, I'd suspect something is wrong with them. I've never heard them, but assuming they're cut from the same cloth as the Aeons, the sound you're describing is nothing like I hear from the Aeons.

May 29, 2018 at 8:08 PM Post #1,155 of 3,350
Dratz. The older Russian tubes seem to garner a high level of praise. I was hoping for a diamond in the rough sounding more akin to a Melz 68HC than to the supplied NOS Russian tube that comes with Lyr 3. It'll be fun to see how she does. Who knows -- maybe you got a bum tube!! :D

One of the nice things about these 6SN7 types of tubes is there are a lot of very good sounding tubes that won't make your wallet cry. And I haven't heard the stock 68HC so I have no point of comparison. You will!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back