Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 5, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #826 of 3,356
How’s it sound?

I have '53, '58, '64, and some just arrived '59 Fotons (haven't listened to those yet). The '53 and '58 sound very similar if not identical, and both are a little better than the '64. There's something about these tubes that is causing me sleep deprivation, 'cause I just can't stop listening until way past bedtime. It's not any particular area that stands out -- no 'wow, awesome bass' or 'OMG, what a soundstage,' etc. I think it's the PRaT (Pace/Rhythm/Timing) thing that's going on -- foot tap, switching out air guitars, dancing around in your underwear kinda thing (sorry...hope you can un-visualize that). Although I'm still a newbie in the headphone world with quite limited 'phone exposure and experience, the Lyr 3 with these tubes into the Aeons is a very special combination.

May 5, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #827 of 3,356
Awesome stuff! I have had similar, experience with my Lyr 3 and KenRad tube. Every night since I have gotten the thing, has been a late one. I have been staying up listening, way past my normal bed time. Loving it!

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #828 of 3,356
Awesome stuff! I have had similar, experience with my Lyr 3 and KenRad tube. Every night since I have gotten the thing, has been a late one. I have been staying up listening, way past my normal bed time. Loving it!

Just ordered a Ken-Rad from Brent, should be here by Wed. That will complete my stash of 9, (including the stock Tung-Sol). The other 8 are burned in and ready to start listening comparisons next week.

May 5, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #829 of 3,356
Wondering if anyone has any impressions of the Lyr 3 with the Sony Z1R's...?

Recently got some used Sony's to go along with my TH-X00, and my current Magni 2 Uber seems to be holding them back (using Modi Multibit in the chain). Using highly scientific terminology, they lack the "energy" I was expecting to find. Detail and extension are pretty good, they just seem to lack in the dynamics department. Because of this, I had also been eyeing a Jot, and am curious about thoughts you all can provide between the 2 amps and the Z1R's. Perhaps I'm also falsely thinking here, as I can only compare the Z1R's to the TH-X00, and the Fostex drivers are pretty quick/impactful regardless of source to my ears. Shoot, driving those straight from an iPhone X can render a bass drum in a fun manner!

May 5, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #830 of 3,356

Recently got some used Sony's to go along with my TH-X00, and my current Magni 2 Uber seems to be holding them back (using Modi Multibit in the chain). Using highly scientific terminology, they lack the "energy" I was expecting to find. Detail and extension are pretty good, they just seem to lack in the dynamics department. Because of this, I had also been eyeing a Jot, and am curious about thoughts you all can provide between the 2 amps and the Z1R's. Perhaps I'm also falsely thinking here, as I can only compare the Z1R's to the TH-X00, and the Fostex drivers are pretty quick/impactful regardless of source to my ears. Shoot, driving those straight from an iPhone X can render a bass drum in a fun manner!
The first few times I heard the Z1R, I was not a fan. But after hearing them again recently, I have begun to warm up to them a little more and now find them to be 'enjoyable' but far from perfect. I still think my TH-X00 EB with Dakoni Hybrid pads and rings are an overall better sounding headphone, they're just not as comfortable or well made. But at 1/4 the price of the Z1R, I'm not complaining!

As far as the amp is concerned, your Magni 2U is definitely the weakest link in your system. I think my Lyr 2 sounds noticeably better than my Jot, and the Lyr 3 would be even better still. It will really raise your system's SQ up a big notch!

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #831 of 3,356
Threw the Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb back in today and thought I would get some shots tonight with it. Just remember these are just crappy phone pics.
xBv2qtv.jpg

B0ZwSuH.jpg

JABMrO1.jpg

AQu7Abv.jpg

May 5, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #832 of 3,356
Threw the Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb back in today and thought I would get some shots tonight with it. Just remember these are just crappy phone pics.
xBv2qtv.jpg

B0ZwSuH.jpg

JABMrO1.jpg

AQu7Abv.jpg
Is that the Schiit stock TS tube?!
Mine does not glow...... :thinking:

May 5, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #833 of 3,356
May 5, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #834 of 3,356
May 5, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #835 of 3,356
OK - will try in the dark and see if mine glows or not...
Ok let us know. Mine glows dimly in the day as well but you notice it better in the dark.

May 5, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #836 of 3,356

I liked my foster headphones so much, but at the end of the day, comfort of the stock pads killed it for me. One thing I can say about them is that they sound great from less expensive sources. The problem with them is that they don't really scale well as you go up the amp food chain.

That's where I think the Z1R is different. It does scale well, and yet isn't as picky about amp pairing as the HD800. The Lyr 3 might be a fantastic amp for the Z1R as it has tons of power, has amazing impact and control, and better staging than almost all other Schiit amps I've heard. I'd be very interested to hear this combo.

May 6, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #837 of 3,356
Ok let us know. Mine glows dimly in the day as well but you notice it better in the dark.
Tested in the dark. It glows VERY faintly...
Not that it matters - we're in it for the audio, but still a nice glow is a plus :wink:

May 6, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #838 of 3,356
Tested in the dark. It glows VERY faintly...
Not that it matters - we're in it for the audio, but still a nice glow is a plus :wink:
Yep i love the tube glow, but sound matters more.

May 6, 2018 at 9:23 AM Post #840 of 3,356

Users who are viewing this thread

Back