Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #316 of 3,355
So i've had the Lyr 3 with Tung Sol tube now for about a week, and in a nutshell I adore it. In comparison to my Liquid Carbon X, it just seems more natural across the board, which I assume is partly related to the tube part? (first time trying out tubes). The Lyr has this great sense of 3D realism that outshines the Carbon X (perhaps not so much in width, but just in general feeling of immersion).

Impactful bass, treble isn't harsh in any fashion to my eyes, and the midrange has this natural and seductive way about that it that has had me hooked to my headphones for hours on end.

I have zero complaints in any category, and it's good enough that I have given up searching for new amps and will instead upgrade my headphones down the line.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #317 of 3,355
Lyr 3 Initial thoughts: Got it set up in the system Thursday evening. Stuck in an unused Hytron 6SN7 GT in to get the ball rolling. Let it play until I got home yesterday evening. For some reason Tidal glitched, and nothing was playing when I got home. The Lyr was still on, just no music playing through it, and I really don't know when the glitch happened. Gave it a brief listen last night. Some really nice things happening with harmonic detail and layering of instruments, fade time, etc. But it was eating on my ears...that fatigue thing. Also noticed a low level buzz that started at about half volume on high gain with no music playing. Increased gradually as the volume was increased, but curiously went completely silent at the last 20 or so degrees of the volume pot travel (to the full clockwise stop). Same thing in low gain, just not as loud. Bummer. My Vali 2 has been dead silent, except for one particular tube. Obviously a tube issue, not the amp. So, I let the Lyr play all night, and no glitches with Tidal this time. Gave it another listen early this afternoon, and.....hum gone. Dead silent at any volume in both low and high gain. Hooray! I hate noise. And even better, the fatigue is gone. I was crankin' stuff loud as my ears could stand it, and none of that initial tickle/irritation that's indicative (to me) that the ears will be hurtin' in short order. Awesome. The harmonic detail has developed even further, and the decay of notes is becoming, well, noteworthy. Bass is still a bit reticent, and I'm missing dynamics. Smooth and easy top end, but kinda boring sounding without the macrodynamic contrasts. Indicative of more break-in needed? I think so. Could easily be the Hytron tube too. So at this point, I'll let it play again all night tonight, and see what's changed in the morning. It keeps getting better, so I think I'm going to be very happy with it.

Meanwhile, the poor Vali has been demoted to tube break-in duties. Ken-Rad cooking now...

jhdnj8.jpg

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #318 of 3,355
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #319 of 3,355
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #320 of 3,355
Apr 7, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #321 of 3,355
Good to know! I ordered some a couple weeks ago based on my positive experience with the '50's Foton 6N3P in the Vali. The package hasn't arrived yet, but expecting it any day now.
I have not tried the Foton 6n3p just the Reflektor 6n3p. How did you like the Foton? I love the Reflector. The Reflektor is probably my all time favorite tube. Maybe if you have extra of the Foton we can swap a Reflektor for a Foton.

Apr 7, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #322 of 3,355
I have not tried the Foton 6n3p just the Reflektor 6n3p. How did you like the Foton? I love the Reflector. The Reflektor is probably my all time favorite tube. Maybe if you have extra of the Foton we can swap a Reflektor for a Foton.

PM sent.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #323 of 3,355
Listened at Canjam today and Lyr 3 with multibit is a pretty damn great. Paired extremely well with my HD800. Highs were not fatiguing, nice clear mids with tube goodness, good bottom end, and moreover, it just comes together. Plain amazing sounding for the money. My MJ2 still has more power and slams harder, but man, if you gave me the choice between it and Lyr 3, it's a hard call.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #324 of 3,355
Listened at Canjam today and Lyr 3 with multibit is a pretty damn great. Paired extremely well with my HD800. Highs were not fatiguing, nice clear mids with tube goodness, good bottom end, and moreover, it just comes together. Plain amazing sounding for the money. My MJ2 still has more power and slams harder, but man, if you gave me the choice between it and Lyr 3, it's a hard call.
Now take the Lyr 3, double it - aka, make it fully hardware balanced - and call it MJ3.

I would buy one.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #325 of 3,355
Now take the Lyr 3, double it - aka, make it fully hardware balanced - and call it MJ3.

I would buy one.

Driving home on the 105 freeway I had this exact thought. Or perhaps Tubenarok?

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #326 of 3,355
What was the tube in the Lyr 3 unit?

Apr 8, 2018 at 3:50 AM Post #327 of 3,355
Ok, here is my general breakdown of the Schiit tubes for the Lyr 3.

LISST -
Pro: Tonally pretty flat and neutral. Sounds the same regardless of gain setting. It sounds good, honestly. A good reference point to compare with other tubes.
Cons: Lacks sound stage. (A lot of sound stage.) Has a veil to it I can't quite describe. The bite and impact you get with the other two is lacking. Honestly, save the $50 for some good NOS tubes.

New production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB -
Pros: Lots of bite and impact. On high gain, sounds brighter. Plenty of bass. On low gain, its less U shaped, more natural sounding. Good sound stage. Very good detail. One of my favorite tubes so far.
Cons: Might be too bright for alreay bright systems/headphones. Slight mid suck-out. (Or it might just seem that way with the intense bass and elevated treble.)

NOS Russian 6N8S -
Pros: Most natural sounding of the bunch, with great detail and attack, without being overly bright. Bass impactful and controlled, doesn't stomp over the mids. My favorite of the bunch. Staging is very good, but not as holographic as other NOS tubes I've tried.
Cons: Not many. On low gain it sounds a bit soft. On high gain it gains a more attack and control.

If I were buying the Lyr 3 today, knowing what I know now, I would buy it with the Tung-Sol tube and add the NOS Russian tube to the order for the extra $8. You'll have two great starting points.

There are quite a few tubes I've rolled through this already, and these 2 stock tubes are still in my top 5 best sounding picks. (The 6N8S is #2, and new prod TS #5.)

The current favorite is the Raytheon I posted a few pages back.

Chain = PC / Jriver MC -> Mimby -> Lyr3 -> ZMF Eikon.
Music is a jumble of Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, Prog Rock, and EDM ripped to WAV or Flac and fed to Mimby via WASAPI direct.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #328 of 3,355
Apr 8, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #329 of 3,355
Ok, here is my general breakdown of the Schiit tubes for the Lyr 3.

LISST -
Pro: Tonally pretty flat and neutral. Sounds the same regardless of gain setting. It sounds good, honestly. A good reference point to compare with other tubes.
Cons: Lacks sound stage. (A lot of sound stage.) Has a veil to it I can't quite describe. The bite and impact you get with the other two is lacking. Honestly, save the $50 for some good NOS tubes.

New production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB -
Pros: Lots of bite and impact. On high gain, sounds brighter. Plenty of bass. On low gain, its less U shaped, more natural sounding. Good sound stage. Very good detail. One of my favorite tubes so far.
Cons: Might be too bright for alreay bright systems/headphones. Slight mid suck-out. (Or it might just seem that way with the intense bass and elevated treble.)

NOS Russian 6N8S -
Pros: Most natural sounding of the bunch, with great detail and attack, without being overly bright. Bass impactful and controlled, doesn't stomp over the mids. My favorite of the bunch. Staging is very good, but not as holographic as other NOS tubes I've tried.
Cons: Not many. On low gain it sounds a bit soft. On high gain it gains a more attack and control.

If I were buying the Lyr 3 today, knowing what I know now, I would buy it with the Tung-Sol tube and add the NOS Russian tube to the order for the extra $8. You'll have two great starting points.

There are quite a few tubes I've rolled through this already, and these 2 stock tubes are still in my top 5 best sounding picks. (The 6N8S is #2, and new prod TS #5.)

The current favorite is the Raytheon I posted a few pages back.

Chain = PC / Jriver MC -> Mimby -> Lyr3 -> ZMF Eikon.
Music is a jumble of Jazz, Blues, Rock, Metal, Prog Rock, and EDM ripped to WAV or Flac and fed to Mimby via WASAPI direct.

Enjoy!

Thanks for that! I'm just starting my evaluation of the 2nd tube in the Lyr (Ken-Rad), and the only tube in my possession I didn't have in the future lineup was the stock Russian tube. Guess I just assumed it would suck (as most "stock" tubes do). I'll put it in the lineup now.

Apr 8, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #330 of 3,355
I totally agree, with ProfFalkin’s description of the 2 tubes offered by Schiit. The Russian NOS, is a great place to start, and I could be happy with that 1 tube. However, my favorite, at the moment is the 1940’s RCA VT231 grey glass. I like warmth and the RCA, has it. I had been listening with a KenRad VT231 staggered plates, and it is very resolving/impactful top to bottom and a little bright up top, which can cause a bit of fatigue, with longer sessions. For short critical listening sessions, or at lower volumes, the KenRad is king, but if I want to rock out, for a long listening session for fun, the RCA grey glass 1940’s is my pick.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back