Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
May 19, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #976 of 3,350
I've used my Ether C Flows (and less often, my Æon closed) with Jot (truly balanced), Neurochrome HP-1 (not internally balanced, but balanced cable output), and Lyr 3 (single-ended). Overall, Lyr 3 wins for my everyday headphone listening. Jot is amazingly fast but has a shallow soundstage and has a sharp-edge upper midrange that goes too far with some recordings. Lyr 3 is still reasonably fast, but is smooths those edges a bit, especially with the Ken-Rad VT-231, and shows a deeper soundstage. The HP-1 is I think the best of the 3 from a reference point of view, but the Lyr 3 is more engaging.

My exact experience with the Jot but I plan to keep it as a reference point and I find I can massage the sound a bit with Loki. If Schiit come up with a Loki Maxi at some point with say 2 more hinge points in the midrange, that would be a good thing.

May 19, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #977 of 3,350
I have noticed an audible buzzing from the Pre Amp Output to my Kanto Yumi Powered Speakers. When I changed to my DragonFly Black the distortion went away. Has anyone else experienced this running the Pre Amp Output to a powered Speaker or Amp/Speaker System? There is no distortion throught the Headphone Output. Thank you.

May 19, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #978 of 3,350
I have noticed an audible buzzing from the Pre Amp Output to my Kanto Yumi Powered Speakers. When I changed to my DragonFly Black the distortion went away. Has anyone else experienced this running the Pre Amp Output to a powered Speaker or Amp/Speaker System? There is no distortion throught the Headphone Output. Thank you.
Ground loop between the Lyr 3 and your powered speakers?

May 19, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #979 of 3,350
Ground loop between the Lyr 3 and your powered speakers?
Maybe. I am trying different Cables. Seems if it was a Ground Loop issue the distrotion would also affect my Headphone Output and/or the Speakers when using the DragonFly.

May 19, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #980 of 3,350
Maybe. I am trying different Cables. Seems if it was a Ground Loop issue the distrotion would also affect my Headphone Output and/or the Speakers when using the DragonFly.
Cycled Power and replaced my AudioQuest Evergreen with my MIT Terminator 6's. No distortion. I'm a dumb ass. Thank you.

May 19, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #981 of 3,350

The Dragonfly goes into the USB port with no external power. You're adding another ground path with the Lyr and its power cord.

May 19, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #982 of 3,350
My Lyr 3 with Tung Sol arrived Friday and finally got 'er hooked up this morning. Ran it in most of the day while running errands; am just sitting down to listen tonight...holy S**T it sounds fantastic! Lots of listening to do yet but very impressed so far. Really like how smooth the upper region is, very tight and DEEP bass foundation and the separation of instruments is really, really good. Might be on to something here...

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #983 of 3,350
Is this normal? Or is this a sign of a bad time? 20180519_222719.jpg

May 20, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #984 of 3,350
Is this normal? Or is this a sign of a bad time?

I’m assuming your talking about the chrome on the glass? It’s perfectly normal and is made when they heat the getter at the factory...all tubes have it, some are in different places on the tube and others completely hidden by the base...if the chrome is white then I would be concearned.

May 20, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #985 of 3,350
My Lyr 3 with Tung Sol arrived Friday and finally got 'er hooked up this morning. Ran it in most of the day while running errands; am just sitting down to listen tonight...holy S**T it sounds fantastic! Lots of listening to do yet but very impressed so far. Really like how smooth the upper region is, very tight and DEEP bass foundation and the separation of instruments is really, really good. Might be on to something here...

That's only the first step on the ladder, I started off with the RCA red base 5692 and it was fantastic.

Tried the stock Tung Sol afterwards and the TS sounded thin by comparison.

May 20, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #986 of 3,350
I’m assuming your talking about the chrome on the glass? It’s perfectly normal and is made when they heat the getter at the factory...all tubes have it, some are in different places on the tube and others completely hidden by the base...if the chrome is white then I would be concearned.

Yep.

May 20, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #987 of 3,350
That's only the first step on the ladder, I started off with the RCA red base 5692 and it was fantastic.

Tried the stock Tung Sol afterwards and the TS sounded thin by comparison.

LOL! I spent my first serious listening session with an RCA 48' Grey Glass, (the first option in my roll-a-thon). After a fairly steady diet of the stock TS as I burned
in my 6SN7 purchases my first thoughts were; this isn't a glass of milk, it's a milkshake.

But, sometimes I want a glass of milk, sometimes I want a milkshake.

May 20, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #988 of 3,350
LOL! I spent my first serious listening session with an RCA 48' Grey Glass, (the first option in my roll-a-thon). After a fairly steady diet of the stock TS as I burned
in my 6SN7 purchases my first thoughts were; this isn't a glass of milk, it's a milkshake.

But, sometimes I want a glass of milk, sometimes I want a milkshake.

I must say that's the first time I've seen milkshake used as a sonic descriptor. So are you saying it's kind of 'whitish' sounding? Or is it a chocolate milkshake? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 20, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #990 of 3,350
I must say that's the first time I've seen milkshake used as a sonic descriptor. So are you saying it's kind of 'whitish' sounding? Or is it a chocolate milkshake? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

LOL. Some sweet milk chocolate.
The stock Tung-Sol is my point of reference and I think it sounds great.
So, compared to my stock Tung-Sol here's my notes after switching to that particular RCA yesterday afternoon:

RCA 1948 6SN7GT, Grey Glass, Black Plate, Short Bottle

Bass: Full, impactful, warm

Mids: Rich, warm, transparent

Highs: Soft, smooth, never harsh, maybe lacking a little sparkle when called for

Transients: Good, but not ultra-sharp

Air: Plenty, up and down the frequency range

Detail: The warmth and airiness may contribute to a very slight obscuring of very fine detail

Dynamics: Excellent, never gets congested, handles ffff with aplomb

Image: Stable

Sound Stage: Players at just the right distance from my ear, not recessed, not forward

Top to Bottom Balance: Weighted towards the bottom of the spectrum, sumptuous string and woodwind tone,

horns maybe not quite as brassy or bright as they should/could be.

Long Term Listen-ability: All day

Only 9 more tubes to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back