Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Mar 24, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #46 of 3,350
Early thoughts with new production TungSol 6SN7:

It is doing everything very well. I don't hear anything I dislike yet. I'm treble sensitive and this hasn't been an issue - but neither is my Jotunheim despite it's reputation for having treble issues.

It doesn't have the staging of my IHA-1, but better than my Jotunheim.

Better bass impact than the Crack or IHA-1. Extends nicely down low.

Another tube will probably sound different, but I have not tried yet. Next up: KenRad black glass VT231 or RCA grey glass 6SN7. Not sure yet. Going to put another 20+ hours into this tube before I swap.

I would say that if you want a very clean, balanced sound that isnt as dry as a SS amp, but doesn't sound gooey like a OTL, this would fit well. It might pick up more sonic 'character' with different tubes, but we'll see.

@Wildcatsare1 - That's all I'm comfortable saying at this point.

Mar 24, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #47 of 3,350
Early thoughts with new production TungSol 6SN7:

It is doing everything very well. I don't hear anything I dislike yet. I'm treble sensitive and this hasn't been an issue - but neither is my Jotunheim despite it's reputation for having treble issues.

It doesn't have the staging of my IHA-1, but better than my Jotunheim.

Better bass impact than the Crack or IHA-1. Extends nicely down low.

Another tube will probably sound different, but I have not tried yet. Next up: KenRad black glass VT231 or RCA grey glass 6SN7. Not sure yet. Going to put another 20+ hours into this tube before I swap.

I would say that if you want a very clean, balanced sound that isnt as dry as a SS amp, but doesn't sound gooey like a OTL, this would fit well. It might pick up more sonic 'character' with different tubes, but we'll see.

@Wildcatsare1 - That's all I'm comfortable saying at this point.

Thank you @ProfFalkin

Mar 25, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #48 of 3,350
You're welcome.

Ok, since most of my 6SN7 tubes are already broken in on the IHA-1 I figured I'd pull a few out and see how much of a difference I'd get. I gave each about a 15 min warm-up before listening. (Easy to do as I'm folding laundry and doing a few chores. I hate doing dishes, going to save that for last.)

The KenRads were ok. On Rush's Limelight, the drums seemed to have quite an emphasis to impact. Staging seems on par to the stock tube. Mids seemed a bit subdued. Bass didn't seem to change much.

I put the RCA grey glass in, and again, quite the change. Midbass seems more evident. The treble emphasis is gone, but I'm still getting a good amount of detail. I kind of expected this, as these are my warm and gooey tubes. They are also kind of microphonic, and that is coming through on the Lyr 3.

I just popped in some Sylvanias, and these are probably the better sounding of the bunch. A touch of that KenRad impact is back to the treble which is very nice, and in hindsight the KenRad treble was a bit too bright for my taste. Nice clean and clear, plenty of detail. No mid suckout. Bass extends down low. I'm glad these sound so good in the Lyr 3, as they were not being used in the IHA-1. It's also good news, as these are quite cheap compared to the other tubes.

With that said, and speaking of cheap, the new production TungSol does NOT sound bad! I only have 20 some odd hours on it (and only 20 some odd hours on the Lry3 as well) and I expect it will sound better with a little more use. For $20, I honestly can't complain one bit.

KenRads = KenRad VT231 clear top, side getter, date unknown
RCA grey glass = RCA VT231 smoked glass, made in May-June of 1945.
Sylvania = Sylvania Chrome dome 6SN7GTB, triangle black plates, 1958

Chain = PC > JRMC & WAV rips > Gumby > Lyr 3 > ZMF Eikon.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #49 of 3,350
ProfFalkin - Does your KenRad have staggered plates? Thanks

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #50 of 3,350
ProfFalkin - Does your KenRad have staggered plates? Thanks
Yes.

IMG_20180325_004031.jpg IMG_20180325_004026.jpg IMG_20180325_004018.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #51 of 3,350
Awesome! Thanks for the pics ProfFalkin! I have the same tube on delivery. I also have a couple RCA grey glass from 40's, and Silvania 6sn7gta silver top 1953. My Lyr 3, will be here on Monday. I went with the Russian NOS tubes, from Schiit. I cant wait to hear it all!

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #54 of 3,350
I got a Jot shortly after it came out, and unlike you I do not like it very much. Depending on track / recording - highs could become unpleasant (harsh?).

I recently received the Massdrop CTH and LCX. The former is also a tube hybrid, with a nice warm and smooth sound that I like a lot with my HD600 and ZMF Atticus. Have not tried with other headphones (yet). Do you have other amps to compare the Lyr3 to? I was debating an OTL (like Darkvoice 336SE) since I do not have an OTL in my collection, but would consider the Lyr3 if (with the right tube) I could tune it to be warm and smooth (especially smoothed highs)...

Mar 25, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #55 of 3,350
I got a Jot shortly after it came out, and unlike you I do not like it very much. Depending on track / recording - highs could become unpleasant (harsh?).

I recently received the Massdrop CTH and LCX. The former is also a tube hybrid, with a nice warm and smooth sound that I like a lot with my HD600 and ZMF Atticus. Have not tried with other headphones (yet). Do you have other amps to compare the Lyr3 to? I was debating an OTL (like Darkvoice 336SE) since I do not have an OTL in my collection, but would consider the Lyr3 if (with the right tube) I could tune it to be warm and smooth (especially smoothed highs)...

I've read many times that the early Jotunheim was a bit bright. I don't find mine too be that way, but it wasn't ordered when they first came out either.

I compared the Lyr 3 to my BW 2 last night, and the Black Widow does not have the treble emphasis that I perceive with the Lyr. To be clear, I don't know if it is an emphasis or just an extremely good rendering of detail that the Lyr brings across in this case. From my Eikons, I prefer the Black Widow because the overall tonality seemed smoother. This is more in line with what I'm used to hearing.

I know not many people have heard the Black Widow, so it's going to be hard for many to get a frame of reference. I'll try to compare the Lyr 3 against something more mainstream than it or the IHA-1. The only other amps I have to compare it to are the Jotunheim and Bottlehead Crack.

I can tell you right now, the Lyr demolishes the Crack in detail retrieval, bass extension, and imapct across the entire frequency spectrum. The Crack can give better headstage than the Lyr 3, depending on the tubes used, but I wouldn't call either masters of holographic sound like I would the ZDS or Af. With that said, I think the Lyr 3 is one of schitt's better amps for headstage. It is certainly better than the jotunheim, and working from memory better than the magni 3.

I haven't even had the chance to use the internal multi-bit card. Only my Gumby.

I have an MCTH on the way, and can compare it to the Lyr. I bought both for my office/work setup, to be run from a Mimby. (Then the Lyr came out.) If I can run a single box at work with acceptable results, I would prefer to do so. This means i would prefer to run the Lyr + MB card, but I still want to test both to make sure I'm getting the best sound.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #56 of 3,350
Hey people, long time no see :)

I used to be on the forums years ago, might remember me from the Lyr 1 tube rolling thread. Not been into my headphones for years now.

Just won a pair of HE-500's on ebay so will be ordering up a Lyr 3 to pair with them.

Going to order it with the DAC module, should i get the multibit or the cheaper one?

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #57 of 3,350
Really interested to hear more comparisons to the jotunheim. I was about to pull the trigger on the jimby setup but noticed the lyr3 yesterday. I like that it’s got a boatload of power to drive my He400i and soon to be He560 cans, and that I don’t need to blow a ton of money on a balanced cable to get that power. My only personal experience with schiit products are the original Vali and magni which a friend has let me borrow atm to see what’s more my flavor. I feel atleast with these two amps I love the fluidity the Vali offers with the touch of tube sound, but find the magni to be better over the whole spektrum as far as detail/resolution. Though neither can drive my headphones to a level I would like them to be able to.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #58 of 3,350
Hey people, long time no see :)

I used to be on the forums years ago, might remember me from the Lyr 1 tube rolling thread. Not been into my headphones for years now.

Just won a pair of HE-500's on ebay so will be ordering up a Lyr 3 to pair with them.

Going to order it with the DAC module, should i get the multibit or the cheaper one?

From what I have read on others opinions between the two dac modules, the 4490 module tends to be a touch on the bright side(not bad bright but brighter) while the Multibit is a warmer sounding dac. Most say both are excellent setups but seem to agree that overall the Multibit is a better dac with more detail etc.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #59 of 3,350
I have an MCTH on the way, and can compare it to the Lyr. I bought both for my office/work setup, to be run from a Mimby. (Then the Lyr came out.) If I can run a single box at work with acceptable results, I would prefer to do so. This means i would prefer to run the Lyr + MB card, but I still want to test both to make sure I'm getting the best sound.

Looking forward to your impressions of both. I also have an MCTH on the way - curious if the Lyr 3 is a clear step up.

Mar 25, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #60 of 3,350
I have an MCTH on the way, and can compare it to the Lyr.
That would be great - I will definitely look forward to this comparison (as well as more A/B with the Jot as you burn-in the Lyr3)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back