Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 4, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,432 of 3,350
Yes something like that.

There's also the Aune T1 that some around these parts like better than the Modi Multi. It's an amp/DAC combo, but you can bypass the amp and use just the DAC portion. Just be sure to get the very latest version like below -- I got an earlier version which was quite good, but (IMO) was a step behind the Modi.

https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/in...er.html?___store=auneeng&___from_store=aunenl

1586034730409.png

Apr 4, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #2,433 of 3,350
Hmmm. Sounds like they may be Sylvania 6SN7WGT or WGTA. If so, they are not too shabby at all. Give them a try. :wink:

Capture.JPG

Look what I just found for you, Ripper. Now you can have matching brands! Well, maybe -- I guess I'm just assuming your Matador has an AM tube radio? :)

1586036700711.png

Apr 4, 2020 at 10:12 PM Post #2,434 of 3,350
Sold the Matador some time ago. I decided to be more environmentally conscious and got myself an EV. I now drive a pink Barbie Corvette. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #2,435 of 3,350
Sold the Matador some time ago. I decided to be more environmentally conscious and got myself an EV. I now drive a pink Barbie Corvette. :wink:
Like this??
1586064087465.png

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,436 of 3,350
Hmmm. Sounds like they may be Sylvania 6SN7WGT or WGTA. If so, they are not too shabby at all. Give them a try. :wink:

That looks just like the pair that I have, and I did go ahead and try that one, and the cbs one, and was fairly impressed. I must admit that I was a little skeptical going in, that a hybrid amp that only used one tube, if different tubes would make much of a difference. However, it may be that it makes more of a difference with it only using one tube because even with my aging ears I can easily appreciate the changes between the 3 tubes that I have tried so far. The jan brown base is probably closer to what I was originally looking for, very clear sound, slightly more analytical than the others, but definitely not lacking anything either. The CBS is certainly the most bass heavy of the 3 so far, though it was a nice and clean bass. And the JJ stock which still held its own. None of them were disagreeable, I would and will definitively keep them in the rotation. If the rest of the tubes in my collection are as varied as the first 3 I tried, I may end up selling the loki, just because I could always swap tubes to achieve the sought for sound. Though, sometimes it is nice being able to do a small tweak here and there...

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #2,442 of 3,350
Curious if anyone has done head to head comparisons between the OG Lyr (two tube model with the horseshoe shaped heat vents) vs. the new 2 and 3. I've been playing around with the original Lyr and have liked but not loved it - there's persistent hiss, which is decent as white noise but annoying when I'm listening quietly and the ratio of hiss volume: music volume rises. Curious if folks have thoughts re: spending money to upgrade this box to a different box.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #2,443 of 3,350
Curious if anyone has done head to head comparisons between the OG Lyr (two tube model with the horseshoe shaped heat vents) vs. the new 2 and 3.

+1 I’m also curious about this.

Of the Lyrs I only have experience with the Lyr3, but to my ears it is a great amp. No hiss, the tube has large influence on the sound, and it scales up well with upstream gear.

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #2,445 of 3,350
(Especially given Schiit's tendency to completely remake products between generations rather than evolve them interatively - great that they're keeping on their toes and all, and it's definitely consumer friendly to make leaps and bounds of progress between generations - but it does feel bad when you buy Gen 1 only to find out that Gen 2 flies and cleans your shoes.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back