Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #1,171 of 1,424
Hello Guys...Cross-posting here as it deserves... :)

Alright...let's got for a fun ride with the final impressions on this little beast.

Disclaimer

Alright, the opening of all… W4 was sent to me as part of its Australian tour. But as usual I have no attachments with the brand. So these impressions are just a fun free time enjoying good music over a beer.

Introduction

Enter the W4, Luxury & Precision's sleek little dongle that promises a first-class audio ecstasy in a gas lighter size, right like the good classic Rock stars use to carry around. But how does it really fare when thrown in the mosh pit with the Fiio BTR5, Fiio UTWS5, iFi GO Blu, and especially its in-house big brother, the P6 Pro? The real test comes when we do a feature participation with the lords of IEMs - 64 Audio 12t, Fir Xe6, Unique Melody Mentor Multiverse, and Elysian Diva. To test this super band we have Mastodon, Opeth, Pantera, and Polyphia.

IMG_0051.jpg

Design & Usability

The W4 sleek and confident design, with a user-friendly interface that screams simplicity like old punk rock bands. But here's the first draw of sweet from W4, while it's design resemble luxury, it is still a dongle, for this price I would expect it to be whispering in my ears. It feels like headbanging in the crowd, not quite the VIP experience. Either way, it is still one of the best designed and built dongle around.

Sound Quality - The Metal Crucible

Hooking up the W4 with Fir Xe6 and queuing Mastodon’s “Blood and Thunder” should've been like unleashing a sound kraken. The lows? Textured and could feel in my tongue, but not the earth-shattering tremors sub lows you anticipate, something the P6 Pro delivers like an amp explosion. The W4's DAC, though decent, doesn't quite summon make me want to be in the mosh pit kicking everything.

IMG_0053.jpg

Transitioning to Opeth's “The Funeral Portrait” with the 64a 12t, the W4 showed prowess in separating instruments but seemed a tad shy in the mids, almost like holding back the growls during a vocal death metal scream-off. Compared to the P6 Pro, known for embracing Opeth's darkness like a gothic romance with bold and embracing sound, the W4 felt more like a cautious neutral sounding.

And here comes Pantera’s “Cowboys from Hell.” Paired with the Unique Melody Mentor Multiverse, the W4 preserved the integrity of those iconic riffs but lacked a bit of that raw, gritty punch. The solos wailed, but did they send shivers down your spine? Yep, especially when you know the iFi GO Blu dares to push that envelope, albeit clumsily at times.

IMG_0083.jpeg

The complexity test was Polyphia’s “GOAT” channelling through the Elysian Diva. Here, the W4 demonstrated its flexibility, handling intricate layers better than the Fiio UTWS5 and ifi go blu. However, it played it a bit too safe, curbing the highs and not quite delivering the electrifying jolts you crave in such blistering tracks, like P6 Pro.

Final thoughts - Those last 3 songs to close the concert

The Luxury & Precision W4 dongle is like the rhythm guitarist of the audio world. Solid, reliable, holding the performance together, but seldom does it steal the spotlight with a mind-melting solo. But you wouldn't dare to say that our Master of Puppets Papa James is a bad Rhythm guitarist. The same can be said about W4, specially against against the Fiio devices and iFi GO Blu, it holds its ground really well, showcasing certain strengths, particularly in user experience due to it's quite comprehensive display and a balanced sound profile.

However, standing next to the P6 Pro, the W4 is overshadowed, like that local band opening for The Metallica. It’s competent, yes, but next to the P6 Pro's rock-god performance, it can't help but show why the gods are the gods. It respects the IEMs' characteristics but hesitates to push them into the chaos of metal performance.

IMG_0054.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 3:45 PM Post #1,173 of 1,424
P6 Pro is $4K DAP, from the same company, of course it's better. :smiley:
Have you tried just for giggles pairing it with the standalone amp, mid/full size?
Yeah, I know the price difference. But not always more expensive is more good.

I have a C9 here but didn’t have time to compare them, preferred to keep it in the dongly and small world plus P6 as is from the same company.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 5:49 PM Post #1,175 of 1,424
If you want to listen to the W4 to its full potential and transform it into a respectable desktop DAC, try connecting it to a USB hub like the one I'll post at the bottom. Just connect the source (pc/tablet/smartphone) to the wire that comes out of the hub at the top and power it in the port below via a power bank. Will earn at least 20%/30% in musical performances.

https://www.amazon.it/dp/B0C2YN8F7Z

Oct 24, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #1,176 of 1,424
If you want to listen to the W4 to its full potential and transform it into a respectable desktop DAC, try connecting it to a USB hub like the one I'll post at the bottom. Just connect the source (pc/tablet/smartphone) to the wire that comes out of the hub at the top and power it in the port below via a power bank. Will earn at least 20%/30% in musical performances.

Thank you for the advice (and also thank your friend who suggested it).
The system works perfectly.

Until now I had always used USB docking (not USB hubs), which have the 'disadvantage' of also charging the smartphone.

These HUBs decouple the power supply from the signal, and I think that's a good thing.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #1,177 of 1,424
These HUBs decouple the power supply from the signal, and I think that's a good thing.
I do not think there is any decoupling going on, things will still work even without power supply meaning USB still feeds power, additional power supply is recommended for better SSD/HDD performance when USB supplied is not sufficient to spin them fast enough.

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #1,178 of 1,424
This hub has the advantage of not passing current to the mobile phone/tablet and therefore does not overload the battery, the power bank only powers the dongle (which receives strong and clean current)... and the black background is obtained thanks to the separation between data and current that USB alone is not able to do.
:wink:

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #1,179 of 1,424
The correct order to connect the mod is as follows:
1) connect the power bank to the hub
2) connect the hub to your PC/mobile/tablet
3)connect the dongle to the hub

Oct 24, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #1,180 of 1,424
I do not think there is any decoupling going on, things will still work even without power supply meaning USB still feeds power, additional power supply is recommended for better SSD/HDD performance when USB supplied is not sufficient to spin them fast enough.

Well, I didn't mean galvanic decoupling.

I meant that, as long as there is external power on the appropriate female USB connector, the hub and the devices connected to it are powered by this power supply, without however providing power to the smartphone connected on the other USB connector (male) .

When the power supply on the USB power connector (female) fails, the burden of powering everything passes to the male USB connector (which is useful, for example, if I connect the hub to the PC/MAC).

Oct 25, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #1,181 of 1,424

Good idea, but unless you measured this unit, it could be adding jitters and other crap to the signal...

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #1,182 of 1,424
Good idea, but unless you measured this unit, it could be adding jitters and other crap to the signal...
Try it if you like, your ears are the best instrument there is on earth. :wink:

Oct 25, 2023 at 2:44 AM Post #1,183 of 1,424
However, for completeness, the mod does not insert any jitter or noise and does just the opposite. It cleans (via hub) all possible imperfections in the data signal and will divide it from the current and, you will notice this immediately by the fact that the background will become completely black and details will appear in your music that did not exist before. Try it and if you like, report your experience here. Your dongle will thank you and you will thank the mod. :wink:

Oct 25, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,184 of 1,424
However, for completeness, the mod does not insert any jitter or noise and does just the opposite. It cleans (via hub) all possible imperfections in the data signal and will divide it from the current and, you will notice this immediately by the fact that the background will become completely black and details will appear in your music that did not exist before. Try it and if you like, report your experience here. Your dongle will thank you and you will thank the mod. :wink:
Unless you have some measurements to prove it, it's just unscientific made up gibberish which honestly makes no sense at all for standard powered USB hub application, it's just not made for that. If your USB power output is up to spec, there should be no difference, W4 is not designed to draw more, in fact it draws the least power comparing to other power hungry dongles like RU7 and even W2.

BTW, even specifically designed for "cleaning" USB devices like JitterBug proved to be nothing but snake oil that in fact hampers performance.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audioquest-jitterbug-usb-filter-review.10205/

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #1,185 of 1,424
Unless you have some measurements to prove it, it's just unscientific made up gibberish which honestly makes no sense at all for standard powered USB hub application, it's just not made for that. If your USB power output is up to spec, there should be no difference, W4 is not designed to draw more, in fact it draws the least power comparing to other power hungry dongles like RU7 and even W2.

BTW, even specifically designed for "cleaning" USB devices like JitterBug proved to be nothing but snake oil that in fact hampers performance.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...audioquest-jitterbug-usb-filter-review.10205/
Here we're not talking about giving more energy, it's the W4 that decides how much it wants, you can't push it into it... here we're talking about separation between data and current (that's what does the "miracle"). If you like, try like last time, otherwise it's fine the same. I'm not a technician and I can't measure anything... but I'll remind you what you wrote when you tried what I suggested last time. The W4 is not even made to be used as a pure DAC connected to an amplifier and yet it does it very well... try again... and you will write this again:

Never thought of trying as have Auralic Vega DAC paired with that.
But as you asked, curiosity got the best of me.
Listening HE6SE (hardest phones to drive in my stash) right now on W4 through Auralic Taurus.
Oh, boy, the whole setup is ridiculous, but it sound stupendously good, could not imagine that W4 is THAT resolving and I am only using SE output. :astonished:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back