Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:48 AM Post #1,066 of 1,423
After listening to the W4 for 2 weeks and compared to my W2-ACG, they have very different sound profile. I am using them with my IEMs (CA Andromeda 2020/S/Gold/Gold TI/Solaris Mercury) which are all low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs. The W4 have noticeably cleaner and more extended trebles and more forward vocals. The W2-ACG have more low-end at listening volumes. To approach similar low ends, I have to turn the volume on the W4 way up to crazy levels (80 or above) and still a bit less than the W2-ACG.

I wouldn't say the low-end on the W4 is bad but it lacked the punchiness on the W2-ACG. I guess it was a trade off for a much cleaner highs.
So personally for listening to streamed musice, W2-ACG will still be my go to but for hifi quality FLACs I would use the W4. Somehow on YT Music and Spotify, the W2-ACG is more engaging and W4 sounds a bit flat.

For some reason, although W4 supposed to have way higher power output (I am listening on 4.4 Balanced), the actually sound volume level from my IEMs are not that different when W2-ACG and W4 are set to the same level and gain on the device itself.
Switch to High gain, both W2 and W4 seem to sound better this way with most IEMs, esp. if you go as high as 80, btw W4 gain is non linear.
And is it Android or iPhone, iPhone might be limiting power.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #1,067 of 1,423
It seems that you are a fan of the Campfire Andromeda series, do you own all variance of it?
Not all. Just the above. But their small size fits my ears best. And I do like their sound signature

Aug 25, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #1,068 of 1,423
Switch to High gain, both W2 and W4 seem to sound better with most IEMs, esp. if you go as high as 80, btw W4 gain is non linear.
And is it Android or iPhone, iPhone might be limiting power.
I tried high gain on both. Slight improvement in bass from W4 but low end still doesn't quite compare to the W2-ACG at comparable volume between them two. And tried on my windows laptop and my zfold4 and zfold 5. Same conclusion on my end

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #1,069 of 1,423
Note, as I have shown in the W4 power consumption measurement posted quite awhile ago, W4 outputs less power than W2 when under the same volume (= voltage). That means if you volume (voltage) match W2 and W4, it is natural to feel W2 gives a better bass response as the IEM is receiving more power due to having more current (and thus a 'tighter control').

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #1,070 of 1,423
It would be nice if they'd add some more Eq profiles. I know it's an older one but I'd love to see a profile for the Audeze LCDi4 (and LCDi3). Considering reintroducing it back into the collection.

Aug 25, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #1,071 of 1,423
It would be nice if they'd add some more Eq profiles. I know it's an older one but I'd love to see a profile for the Audeze LCDi4 (and LCDi3). Considering reintroducing it back into the collection.
If you are on Android, UAPP is a must or you get mangled by default driver 48khz resampled audio, and for that you can get nice parametric EQ plugin if EQ is your thing.

Aug 26, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #1,072 of 1,423
If you are on Android, UAPP is a must or you get mangled by default driver 48khz resampled audio, and for that you can get nice parametric EQ plugin if EQ is your thing.
No, it’s really not my thing. That’s why I’m hoping for more presets haha. I prefer most cans and IEMs that I buy without EQ but the LCDi4 is a little light in the bass without DSP correction or EQ.

Aug 29, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #1,073 of 1,423
I just learned that this dongle has on 4.4mm output impedance of 3 ohms, woah, that's just... terrible - for a device of this type. You can calculate the damping factor to be a horrific 5 for 15 ohm iems and 7 for 20 ohm, this will modify frequency response of most iems and underdamp the base causing weak, sloppy, uncontrolled bass, I already experienced damping factor of ~5 many times and can't stand such sound. Sadly will have to pass on this one as it doesn't fit my use case.

I hope L&P will release an updated version some day with much lower output impedance since it's sad to see a product, with such nice build quality and great features/usability, fail in this simple electrical principle.

Aug 29, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,074 of 1,423
Out of the blue, I tested 3.5SE instead of 4.4BAL (by switching the TermX on my effect audio cables). Turns out the bass is all back now! High end has less sparkle though. Now the sound signature is a lot closer to my W2-131 and RU7. Somehow the 4.4BAL on the W4 is killing a lot of the bass on my IEMs. Probably a high OI problem when paired with low impedance highly sensitive IEMs.......

Aug 29, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #1,076 of 1,423
Almost all dongles from my experience with IEMs sounds better from 3.5mm.
Usually yes, but that's only because manufacturers do a lazy job and end up with high output impedance from the 4.4mm output, just like W4. The defense argument is most often shorts protection, but W2 has a 0.7 ohm output; on a 15 ohm iem, that's a damping factor of 20 vs 5 of W4, a difference between pretty nice sound and garbage. Just for the sake of comparison, my ADI-2/4 Pro SE has 0.2 ohm on 4.4mm output, and my iems sound incredible from ADI... rightly so as the damping factor is close to 100. All the S/N, SINAD, and power in the world won't help if you end up with a damping factor of 5 where the amp can't control the drivers properly.

Aug 29, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #1,078 of 1,423
but W2 has a 0.7 ohm output; on a 15 ohm iem, that's a damping factor of 20 vs 5 of W4, a difference between pretty nice sound and garbage.
I use W2 and W4 only in BAL mode with all my IEMs and earbuds, and W4 performs better than W2. So not sure about "garbage" sentiment. 🤷‍♂️

There are some measurements of W4, looks better than W2 in these tests too.

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #1,079 of 1,423
I use W2 and W4 only in BAL mode with all my IEMs and earbuds, and W4 performs better than W2. So not sure about "garbage" sentiment. 🤷‍♂️

There are some measurements of W4, looks better than W2 in these tests too.
What IEMs and earbuds are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back