Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Aug 18, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #1,052 of 1,433
You need to match the output power, otherwise the comparison doesn't have much meaning for others

Aug 18, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,054 of 1,433
Probably yeah, how can I do that?
I tried to make loudness equal using the same headphones during the test, and set to volume equally by headphone loundness to my hearing.
Using headphone with equal loudness will likely give you close to equal voltage. To get to equal power, you will need to able to measure the output current (and voltage at the same time), which means a multimeter. A branded cheap Chinese multimeter will probably do the job and a good tool to keep around the house.

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #1,055 of 1,433
Using headphone with equal loudness will likely give you close to equal voltage. To get to equal power, you will need to able to measure the output current (and voltage at the same time), which means a multimeter. A branded cheap Chinese multimeter will probably do the job and a good tool to keep around the house.
To which part should be connected multimeter? To the dynamic driver when it is playing?

Aug 18, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #1,056 of 1,433
To which part should be connected multimeter? To the dynamic driver when it is playing?
Yes, technically the two ends of the transducer. However, given the difficulty of using a transducer, standard practice is to use a dummy load (*resistor) instead of actual driver.

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #1,057 of 1,433
Yes, technically the two ends of the transducer. However, given the difficulty of using a transducer, standard practice is to use a dummy load (*resistor) instead of actual driver.
Do you also use a fixed sound/tone to get a single power level, or do you just play some random music file(s)? I'm no electrical expert.. LOL Just wondering if a single tone will allow you to measure a clean continuous sound/power level, versus the Variable Power draw when music is playing? ("Watts actual" versus "Varying RMS Watts"?)

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #1,058 of 1,433
Do you also use a fixed sound/tone to get a single power level, or do you just play some random music file(s)? I'm no electrical expert.. LOL Just wondering if a single tone will allow you to measure a clean continuous sound/power level, versus the Variable Power draw when music is playing? ("Watts actual" versus "Varying RMS Watts"?)
Typical audio tests use 1kHz sina wave. It is picked so that it is easier to repeat and compare different tests by different parties.

Aug 19, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #1,059 of 1,433
Hi,

Is there an overall consensus or what have you preferred on the Tune / Filter / EQ / SDO combination for different genres?

Aug 19, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,060 of 1,433
Hi,

Is there an overall consensus or what have you preferred on the Tune / Filter / EQ / SDO combination for different genres?
Tune 2 more tonal correct for me. I like timbre of slow filter, but it makes sound less warm. If I need more warmth, I use fast filter. EQ and SDO are useless to me, they make sound more digital to my ears.

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #1,064 of 1,433
After listening to the W4 for 2 weeks and compared to my W2-ACG, they have very different sound profile. I am using them with my IEMs (CA Andromeda 2020/S/Gold/Gold TI/Solaris Mercury) which are all low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs. The W4 have noticeably cleaner and more extended trebles and more forward vocals. The W2-ACG have more low-end at listening volumes. To approach similar low ends, I have to turn the volume on the W4 way up to crazy levels (80 or above) and still a bit less than the W2-ACG.

I wouldn't say the low-end on the W4 is bad but it lacked the punchiness on the W2-ACG. I guess it was a trade off for a much cleaner highs.
So personally for listening to streamed musice, W2-ACG will still be my go to but for hifi quality FLACs I would use the W4. Somehow on YT Music and Spotify, the W2-ACG is more engaging and W4 sounds a bit flat.

For some reason, although W4 supposed to have way higher power output (I am listening on 4.4 Balanced), the actually sound volume level from my IEMs are not that different when W2-ACG and W4 are set to the same level and gain on the device itself.

Aug 24, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #1,065 of 1,433
After listening to the W4 for 2 weeks and compared to my W2-ACG, they have very different sound profile. I am using them with my IEMs (CA Andromeda 2020/S/Gold/Gold TI/Solaris Mercury) which are all low impedance/high sensitivity IEMs. The W4 have noticeably cleaner and more extended trebles and more forward vocals. The W2-ACG have more low-end at listening volumes. To approach similar low ends, I have to turn the volume on the W4 way up to crazy levels (80 or above) and still a bit less than the W2-ACG.

I wouldn't say the low-end on the W4 is bad but it lacked the punchiness on the W2-ACG. I guess it was a trade off for a much cleaner highs.
So personally for listening to streamed musice, W2-ACG will still be my go to but for hifi quality FLACs I would use the W4. Somehow on YT Music and Spotify, the W2-ACG is more engaging and W4 sounds a bit flat.

For some reason, although W4 supposed to have way higher power output (I am listening on 4.4 Balanced), the actually sound volume level from my IEMs are not that different when W2-ACG and W4 are set to the same level and gain on the device itself.
It seems that you are a fan of the Campfire Andromeda series, do you own all variance of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back