Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 29, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #856 of 1,409
Thanks but I won't be paying $300 to update my $400 device. I also tried VMWare Fusion with the same results. I've been trying to get this to work all day. I guess I won't be updating until LP improves their customer support to include Mac users. Such a shame because it's an otherwise awesome device marred by mediocre support.

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #857 of 1,409
Thanks but I won't be paying $300 to update my $400 device. I also tried VMWare Fusion with the same results. I've been trying to get this to work all day. I guess I won't be updating until LP improves their customer support to include Mac users. Such a shame because it's an otherwise awesome device marred by mediocre support.
I don't want to convince anyone, because I have no reason to, however its cost is 200 dollars (using the attached voucher) and I use it with a 512gb microsd with the excellent Foobar2000, finding it a perfect companion for all my dongles. It was just an idea anyway...

Jun 29, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #859 of 1,409
I spent several hours trying to get the FW update to work on a VM with no success. I finally asked my brother-in-law if I could borrow his computer and I got the update done in less than 2 minutes. Not sure how to feel right now.

Jun 29, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #862 of 1,409
I’m curious to know what others think but I feel like the W4 is punching well above it’s weight class! From memory, the W4 sounds “better” than the ADI-2 DAC. Again, that’s from memory, not A/B testing. Also taking power limitations into consideration. In my limited personal experience, it’s only second to the Hugo2 and MAYBE the SE200 (but I don’t remember that one well enough). The $450 price tag is starting to feel like a deal to me. How well does this thing stack up against unfair competition 🤔

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #863 of 1,409
I’m curious to know what others think but I feel like the W4 is punching well above it’s weight class!
Should try FiiO BTR7, with extra battery power feeding dual THX amp it's more dynamic, spacious, with harder hitting bass.
W4 as USB only dongle is not that much better than W2 to be honest. Not that it's bad, it's just W2 was already too good.

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #864 of 1,409
I’m curious to know what others think but I feel like the W4 is punching well above it’s weight class! From memory, the W4 sounds “better” than the ADI-2 DAC. Again, that’s from memory, not A/B testing. Also taking power limitations into consideration. In my limited personal experience, it’s only second to the Hugo2 and MAYBE the SE200 (but I don’t remember that one well enough). The $450 price tag is starting to feel like a deal to me. How well does this thing stack up against unfair competition 🤔

I'll say 'technically' your feeling isn't unfounded.

W4.jpg

ADi2.jpg

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #867 of 1,409

Should try FiiO BTR7, with extra battery power feeding dual THX amp it's more dynamic, spacious, with harder hitting bass.
W4 as USB only dongle is not that much better than W2 to be honest. Not that it's bad, it's just W2 was already too good.

I'll say 'technically' your feeling isn't unfounded.

W4.jpg

ADi2.jpg
One thing I forgot to mention about myself is I usually go dormant in this hobby for long periods of time. Once a particular need has been met, I take my finger off the pulse and simply enjoy my toys until a new requirement arises. I feel like I must have missed some notable advancements in the mobile DAC/Amp space over the last couple of years. This would partly explain my excitement for the W4 (and RU7). I mean they're amazing products but maybe I'm a little too high on them right now?

Jun 30, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #868 of 1,409
One thing I forgot to mention about myself is I usually go dormant in this hobby for long periods of time. Once a particular need has been met, I take my finger off the pulse and simply enjoy my toys until a new requirement arises. I feel like I must have missed some notable advancements in the mobile DAC/Amp space over the last couple of years. This would partly explain my excitement for the W4 (and RU7). I mean they're amazing products but maybe I'm a little too high on them right now?
Nothing wrong with that!!! Enjoy!!!

Jun 30, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #870 of 1,409
what voucher
Polky was recommending buying a cheap Teclast Brand Laptop from Amazon. On the link/page there is a coupon to drop the price from $295 to USD$200. As a cheap alternative to an Apple device for doing updates that Apple devices don't support; And you can use it for other PC uses...

THe coupon was not for a W4, if that's what you were thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back