Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 14, 2023 at 9:02 PM Post #676 of 1,407
Hi guys!

I ask that you please forgive me for being “that guy”.

I’m hoping someone can tell me what the difference is between the W4 and the W4 EX and if anyone has A/B’d with the gobar or if you have any thoughts on that comparison from memory.

😃

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #677 of 1,407
Hi guys!

I ask that you please forgive me for being “that guy”.

I’m hoping someone can tell me what the difference is between the W4 and the W4 EX and if anyone has A/B’d with the gobar or if you have any thoughts on that comparison from memory.

😃
I haven't heard the W4EX but I have the W4 and I am very happy with it. If you can afford I would say to get the W4 and forget the other. You will not regret it and you may need the extra power, resolution in the future if you plan to use it with harder to drive IEMs or headphones.

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #678 of 1,407
01 Burn-in, changes in the W4(2/3)

My first setup pairing the AMT with the W4 used the original USB Type-C cable and the AMT16. I sampled the track "すずめ feat. 十明". The recording of this song is spatial, with delicate and richly varied vocals, and includes both bass and string instruments in the mix. As expected, the sound from the W4, which hadn't yet been burnt in, seemed soft and weak. Yet, the powerful resolution and accuracy displayed by the W4 when driving the AMT16 was still impressive. As a result, I left this IEM and the W4 plugged into my computer for a long burn-in period.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #679 of 1,407
My L&P W4 Tuning Diary

outline

01 Burn-in, initial changes in the W4
02 Exploring tuning presets
03 Experience with USB cables
04 Pairing with digital turntables
05 Targeted combination and pairing
06 Conclusion

01 Burn-in, changes in the W4(3/3)

After three days and nights, in the middle of the night, I grabbed my phone, put in the earbuds, and connected the W4. The effective 400mW driving force of the W4 managed to open up the soundstage of the AMT16. Fantastic!

In summary:
The soundstage was the biggest change after the W4's burn-in. As the depth and width of the soundstage opened up, the entire sound stage became more spacious and atmospheric.

weakness: It's still got that gentle and detailed style, not much in the way of bass, but smooth and fine.

While the opening up of the soundstage is definitely a step forward, my next focus is how to increase the sound fullness and drive the AMT16 more effectivly.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #680 of 1,407
I haven't heard the W4EX but I have the W4 and I am very happy with it. If you can afford I would say to get the W4 and forget the other. You will not regret it and you may need the extra power, resolution in the future if you plan to use it with harder to drive IEMs or headphones.
Thanks! Have you had any other dongles?

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:11 AM Post #681 of 1,407
My L&P W4 Tuning Diary

outline

01 Burn-in, initial changes in the W4
02 Exploring tuning presets
03 Experience with USB cables
04 Pairing with digital turntables
05 Targeted combination and pairing
06 Conclusion

01 Burn-in, changes in the W4(3/3)

After three days and nights, in the middle of the night, I grabbed my phone, put in the earbuds, and connected the W4. The effective 400mW driving force of the W4 managed to open up the soundstage of the AMT16. Fantastic!

In summary:
The soundstage was the biggest change after the W4's burn-in. As the depth and width of the soundstage opened up, the entire sound stage became more spacious and atmospheric.

weakness: It's still got that gentle and detailed style, not much in the way of bass, but smooth and fine.

While the opening up of the soundstage is definitely a step forward, my next focus is how to increase the sound fullness and drive the AMT16 more effectivly.
Have you had any other dongles?

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #683 of 1,407
I imagine that's true for many use cases. However, in my case, I only use is connecting it to my iPhone Mini to drive IEMs. I went with the EX because it draws less power from my puny phone. So far, low gain is more than enough to drive any of my IEMs.
I’m hoping someone can tell me what the difference is between the W4 and the W4 EX
I don't recall any posts about the sonic (not power) differences between the two. Sorry if I missed anything.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #684 of 1,407
My EX has helped me rediscover my ER4XR. In the past, I only used the ER4 when I had to (in high noise environments). Afternoon winds here usually gust to 30-40 mph, enough to overpower most IEMs.

The EX makes the ER4 sound amazing!! Some great synergy there. Now I look forward to walks in the afternoon.

Jun 15, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #686 of 1,407
After researching and reading through this thread and others, I decided to purchase this and it will be my first DAC. Being new to this world, I'm now looking at IEM's. Any recommendations for IEM's under $500 that will take full advantage of the 4.4mm output? Thank you!
It would be helpful to know what types of music you like to listen to. Do you have any IEMs now? Other likes/preferences?

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #687 of 1,407
It would be helpful to know what types of music you like to listen to. Do you have any IEMs now? Other likes/preferences?
Thanks for the reply and mostly hiphop/rap and folk/indie. As far as likes/preferences, my current headphones are Bose QuietComfort II that I use mostly for gym/travel but I enjoy the fit/feel and noise cancellation

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #688 of 1,407
After researching and reading through this thread and others, I decided to purchase this and it will be my first DAC. Being new to this world, I'm now looking at IEM's. Any recommendations for IEM's under $500 that will take full advantage of the 4.4mm output? Thank you!
Dunu SA6 OG, Ultra or MK2 should be a safe bet in that range. Comes with modular plug cable as well so you can use it with different inputs.

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #689 of 1,407
Hey guys, my full review of the W4 is now online here.

Superdongles_04.jpg

It's actually more than just an W4 review...since so many people asked the same question,
I decided to write it up as a comparative review of the 'Superdongles', the W4 and RU7.
Hope you find something to like and learn, or simply enjoy the read!

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back