Luxury & Precision (LP) W4, Successor to Their Popular W1/W2 USB Dongle is Here!
Jun 16, 2023 at 2:52 AM Post #692 of 1,430
Hey guys, my full review of the W4 is now online here.

It's actually more than just an W4 review...since so many people asked the same question,
I decided to write it up as a comparative review of the 'Superdongles', the W4 and RU7.
Hope you find something to like and learn, or simply enjoy the read!
Thank you for your good review. However, please excuse me if my personal listening experience doesn't align with your article. I think there might be two possibilities for this:

My personal listening experience with the W4 is based on the 'LL Fast' filter setting, which gives the sound a warmer and fuller character compared to the default mode, with punchier bass.

It could be due to the inconsistency in volume when comparing the two dongles. In my comparison, I found that the RU7 had a significant volume jump in the first few steps, so the volume level of 45 was already loud enough. The W4, on the other hand, had a smaller volume jump in the initial steps, and needed to be turned up to 60 to get the same volume. And past 60, the volume steps on the W4 get larger. Perhaps this mechanism is designed to ensure both high-sensitivity IEMs and low-sensitivity headphones can find their appropriate volume ranges. I think the actual output volumes of the W4 and RU7 might have been different during the evaluation.This might led to different listening experiences.

Attachments

• mmexport1686707917802.jpg
    mmexport1686707917802.jpg
    848 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #694 of 1,430
You forgot to mention in the review a unique feature for the W4, with the latest firmware the ability to decode PCM 768 kHz.
Can you send me a link to the album of any artist in this capacity? just a unique opportunity, in fact a useless opportunity.
I do not know of any label that releases music in this capacity, it is not and never will be, it makes no sense.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #695 of 1,430
Jun 16, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #696 of 1,430
After gLer's splendid review, truly made of emotions and with words that only those who love music can find... I couldn't resist and the W4 is on my way home. I didn't get the cover as I didn't get it years ago for the W1... 33 dollars is too much and in my opinion it could have been easily found in the dongle box if they wanted... but it wasn't like that... patience we'll do it at least.

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #697 of 1,430
Jun 16, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #698 of 1,430
After gLer's splendid review, truly made of emotions and with words that only those who love music can find... I couldn't resist and the W4 is on my way home. I didn't get the cover as I didn't get it years ago for the W1... 33 dollars is too much and in my opinion it could have been easily found in the dongle box if they wanted... but it wasn't like that... patience we'll do it at least.
It was expected, I understood that somehow even the price would not stop you)))

Jun 16, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #699 of 1,430
I knew it too but I wanted to deceive myself a little... :joy:

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #700 of 1,430
It took you less time to order then I expected, but I am glad you did in the end. You will be very surprised ! :) Congratulations.

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #701 of 1,430
Thanks... but that's how I am when I find the rabbit hole I always wait for someone to come and give me a little push... lol

Jun 16, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #702 of 1,430
You forgot to mention in the review a unique feature for the W4, with the latest firmware the ability to decode PCM 768 kHz.
I thought something was strange when I saw 768 as an option in Audirvana. I'll update the article, thanks.
Thanks... but that's how I am when I find the rabbit hole I always wait for someone to come and give me a little push... lol
You're welcome 🤗 Seriously though, great choice. The Yin and Yang of W4 and RU7 really packs a punch. I loved being able to connect them both to my MacBook and just switch between them as needed.

Jun 16, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #703 of 1,430
Has anyone compared it to Astell Kern Sp2000 or sp3000 ? Just curious how far away it is… thanks!!

I have compared it with dx320 max and m9+. W4 is a noticeable downgrade. It lacks of notes richness compared to them, details feels plasticky. If i can use arbitrary number, W4 is around 70% of max/m9+.

For me, w4 is the dongle i would be happy to carry around without sacrificing too much SQ.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #704 of 1,430
I have compared it with dx320 max and m9+. W4 is a noticeable downgrade. It lacks of notes richness compared to them, details feels plasticky. If i can use arbitrary number, W4 is around 70% of max/m9+.

For me, w4 is the dongle i would be happy to carry around without sacrificing too much SQ.
Very hard to compare 1:1 imo.

Jun 16, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #705 of 1,430
Sorry but is the tool to update the W4 the same one I used for the W1? Or is there a new version? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back