Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Sep 29, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #4,066 of 5,290
Sorry, I am a little confused about what you are suggesting…. Just in case, and forgive me if I am stating the obvious, but let me stress, do not, under any circumstances take a cable that is terminated as Single Ended (3.5mm or quarter inch) and use that in a 4.4mm jack. You can probably jury rig a series of adapters to make it fit, but you will be creating shorts and damage or destroy your amp.
I meant 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter.

Sep 29, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,067 of 5,290
I wish the W2 had a line out option. Want to try that amazing DAC with some proper amping power. Such a shame...

Is this something they can ever update using firmware or does it require physical circuits?

Sep 30, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #4,069 of 5,290
Sep 30, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,071 of 5,290
Sent an email to L&P asking about this. Will see what they say.

Try a balanced 4.4 cable it increase the power output of the W2. I’m using low gain the highest volume is under 70% and normally have it set at 60% with the moondrop variations and a balanced cable.

Sep 30, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #4,072 of 5,290
Try a balanced 4.4 cable it increase the power output of the W2. I’m using low gain the highest volume is under 70% and normally have it set at 60% with the moondrop variations and a balanced cable.
I think they are talking about wanting a line output at 1V bypassing the amp circuitry

Sep 30, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #4,073 of 5,290
I think they are talking about wanting a line output at 1V bypassing the amp circuitry

Exactly. I want to plug the W2 into a proper amp and use it purely as a DAC.

W2 has all the power most iems need but it can't really get the best out of full size cans, more power is needed.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #4,074 of 5,290
Been enjoying the W2 connected to an iPad Pro today after a week of just using my DAPs. Wow! I used “Fast” filter and “Tone 01” with Sony IER-Z1R and I liked it better than my standard settings (Fast/Tone02), maybe because I was playing mostly recent POP/Rock/EDM.

@bluestorm1992 this made me wonder about the FLT and Tone settings L&P use when designing their IEM EQ settings. Since you mentioned my favorite Sony IER-Z1R may be getting an EQ setting in the next firmware, I was curious if that setting will sound best with a certain FLT/Tone combination.

Cheers

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #4,076 of 5,290
Exactly. I want to plug the W2 into a proper amp and use it purely as a DAC.

W2 has all the power most iems need but it can't really get the best out of full size cans, more power is needed.

Well I connected my W2 SE output to my Xduoo05 Plus Aux input after another head-fier confirmed it was safe.

It works wonders! Very pleased. The W2 keeps impressing. Another killer use for it.

I have a Hugo2 and the sound I am getting from the W2 with my D8k Pros is not on same level but it's not lagging far behind behind. Hugo2 is more resolving and has more bass control/treble/separation but the W2 experience is smooth and super musical. Perfect for a more laid back listening experience.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #4,077 of 5,290
I really cant fault the W2 myself.

It drives my Aonic 5's, IE300's, 7Hz Timeless perfectly.

The SE846's sounded good to some extent. The background is completely black which is a plus, however, the overall synergy is off... They sound a bit too lifeless with the W2. So much so I sold the SE846's... In hindsight I should have changed amp 😂

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #4,078 of 5,290
I was watching a movie last night with the W2 and EP05 earbuds. It iss called Sea Fever.
I was impressed with the details, clarity and very open soundstage this combo provides.
The bass was very realistic and it sounded more like a full size headphone then an earbud.
I really recommend them if you can find a genuine pair.

Oct 3, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #4,079 of 5,290
Sent an email to L&P asking about this. Will see what they say.
Line-out technically required a physical circuit design change, not something a firmware can "add" magically. What L&P can add is a fixed voltage output mode, but it is not a real LO and mostly done for convenience / placebo purpose, such as what Chord has done on Mojo.

However, W2 headphones-out is so clean that it has better SNR than what the DAC chip is rated for, and thus adding a line-out, even if possible technically, will not actually improve the SQ, making it mostly a moot point. So basically you just need to set your W2 to a decently loud volume that will not clip your amp, you are all good.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #4,080 of 5,290
Just an addon:

With Android smartphone volume set to 100%, W2 should be able to output around 0.74V Max (*no load) on single-ended, and almost double that to 1.46V on balanced-out. For those who wants ~1V output on balanced-out, you can set W2 volume to 96. However, do be careful that your amp will need to support balanced-input if you want to double amp W2's balanced-out. I don't have an iPhone to test, but I doubt W2 will output more due to iOS current limiting.

With PC's volume set to 100%, W2 should be able to output around 1.99V Max on single-ended, and almost double that to 3.95V on balanced-out. For those who wants ~1V output on single-ended, set W2's volume to 92. For those who want ~1V on balanced-out, set W2 volume to 84.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back