Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Sep 13, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #4,006 of 5,297
Just purchased my W2 today. Very pumped up. Will be using it with an IPhone 12 Pro Max. I’ve seen two different aftermarket usb c to lightning cables mentioned quite a bit in this thread.

1) ddhifi mfi06
2) OEaudio usb c to lightning

the OEaudio cable claims to allow for 5v output rather than 3.3v. It also claims to be very well insulated.

Anyone have opinion, advice, or endorsements to help me choose between these two cables?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #4,007 of 5,297
Just purchased my W2 today. Very pumped up. Will be using it with an IPhone 12 Pro Max. I’ve seen two different aftermarket usb c to lightning cables mentioned quite a bit in this thread.

1) ddhifi mfi06
2) OEaudio usb c to lightning

the OEaudio cable claims to allow for 5v output rather than 3.3v. It also claims to be very well insulated.

Anyone have opinion, advice, or endorsements to help me choose between these two cables?

Thanks!

I will let you know if the OEAudio sounds better or if it helps with the EMI interference on my iPhone 12 Pro once i get it. It seems that it could take up to 30 days for these cables to arrive to the US.

I asked many questions to Musicteck and they answered the following: “We don’t use iPhones, only Android phones. But we just borrowed iPod Touch 6th gen to do the testing, and confirmed that stock L&P and Lotoo cables limit voltage to 3.8V, while DDHifi and OEAudio cables produce a solid 5V. We did the same test with L&P and Lotoo cables using Android phone, and get 5.2V without a problem. So, the issue is iPhone limitation and design restriction. And you are correct, their stock cable works at lower voltage, thus pushing current higher. But, even with DDHifi and OE cables when we raise the volume over 70, the sound became choppy and we couldn’t get a solid playback from W2 because iPod Touch, just like iPhone, wasn’t happy with too much current being drawn. Also, we don’t sell OE Audio or DDHifi cables, those are both great, though DDHifi is softer and more flexible for portable use, while OE cable has a higher quality but it is thicker and stiffer.”

Musicteck was great at answering so many of my questions Before purchasing!

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #4,008 of 5,297
I will let you know if the OEAudio sounds better or if it helps with the EMI interference on my iPhone 12 Pro once i get it. It seems that it could take up to 30 days for these cables to arrive to the US.

I asked many questions to Musicteck and they answered the following: “We don’t use iPhones, only Android phones. But we just borrowed iPod Touch 6th gen to do the testing, and confirmed that stock L&P and Lotoo cables limit voltage to 3.8V, while DDHifi and OEAudio cables produce a solid 5V. We did the same test with L&P and Lotoo cables using Android phone, and get 5.2V without a problem. So, the issue is iPhone limitation and design restriction. And you are correct, their stock cable works at lower voltage, thus pushing current higher. But, even with DDHifi and OE cables when we raise the volume over 70, the sound became choppy and we couldn’t get a solid playback from W2 because iPod Touch, just like iPhone, wasn’t happy with too much current being drawn. Also, we don’t sell OE Audio or DDHifi cables, those are both great, though DDHifi is softer and more flexible for portable use, while OE cable has a higher quality but it is thicker and stiffer.”

Musicteck was great at answering so many of my questions Before purchasing!

Wow thank you so much for sharing! This was exactly what I was looking for!

Sep 13, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #4,009 of 5,297
I recently received the W2 leather case from Musicteck and while I really like it, I found that its attraction to my iPhone 12 Mini’s MagSafe array is much weaker than I was hoping. Fortunately, I found a couple of products on Amazon that has saved the day and helped me create a true mid-to-upper tier DAP killer.

The first is a MagSafe mount with adhesive on the other side. It’s meant for magnetically attaching your iPhone to a wall, car dash, etc. The next is simply some magnetic plates (I didn’t want to risk using the only plate that came w/ the W2 case on the off chance this didn’t work out as well as I expected).

Combined w/ the ddHiFi MFi06 cable, I have a really solid portable experience. Neither my phone nor the W2 is permanently attached to anything and the pairing can be quickly applied/removed. Note: The MagSafe magnet mount attraction (to the iPhone) is really strong so for those who don’t like/want the W2 leather case you can buy a TPU case for the W2 and adhere it directly to the back of the MagSafe magnet mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097CGPZV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2HYV7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Nice! I have an iPhone SE 2020 I got on the cheap to use as a transport so I just attached a similar metal plate to the back of the case to use with the W2, but my personal (iPhone 12 Max) and work phones (iPhone 12) are MagSafe compatible. Like you I was hoping it would be strong enough on its own, but never bothered trying to remedy it. Picked up one of those MagSafe stickers you linked to and already have a spare-circle shaped metal plate to use. Thanks for posting!

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #4,011 of 5,297
So, the issue is iPhone limitation and design restriction. And you are correct, their stock cable works at lower voltage, thus pushing current higher. But, even with DDHifi and OE cables when we raise the volume over 70, the sound became choppy and we couldn’t get a solid playback from W2 because iPod Touch, just like iPhone, wasn’t happy with too much current being drawn. Also, we don’t sell OE Audio or DDHifi cables, those are both great, though DDHifi is softer and more flexible for portable use, while OE cable has a higher quality but it is thicker and stiffer.
I have the OE cable. On my iPhone 11 Pro, I can take the W2 volume up to 85 before the W2 starts cutting out and making a static noise. 85 is way too loud with my IER-Z1R headphones on high gain. Otherwise, I can't hear any difference between the OE cable and the stock W2 cable or one I bought off Amazon for $15. The Amazon cable doesn't maintain a solid connection in the lightning port, so pretty useless if walking around. The OE cable is pretty stiff, but that hasn't caused concerns. Overall, I'm happy with the OE cable, but the 5V voltage doesn't seem to make a difference from a sonic or battery standpoint. All the cables I've tried allow the W2 to go higher than volume 70, and all cut out somewhere around 85. Maybe someone else can explain why 5V versus 3.8V would theoretically make a difference.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #4,012 of 5,297
I have the OE cable. On my iPhone 11 Pro, I can take the W2 volume up to 85 before the W2 starts cutting out and making a static noise. 85 is way too loud with my IER-Z1R headphones on high gain. Otherwise, I can't hear any difference between the OE cable and the stock W2 cable or one I bought off Amazon for $15. The Amazon cable doesn't maintain a solid connection in the lightning port, so pretty useless if walking around. The OE cable is pretty stiff, but that hasn't caused concerns. Overall, I'm happy with the OE cable, but the 5V voltage doesn't seem to make a difference from a sonic or battery standpoint. All the cables I've tried allow the W2 to go higher than volume 70, and all cut out somewhere around 85. Maybe someone else can explain why 5V versus 3.8V would theoretically make a difference.
Thanks for sharing about the OEaudio cable. I just bought one to go along with my W2 I also just bought. Per a previous post the quality of the cable is supposed to be really nice. I’m not going to bother trying to attach the W2 to the back of my phone as I’ll mostly be using it around the house so the stiff cable won’t bother me. I might also just pick up a ddhifi cable as well just to have it and compare.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #4,014 of 5,297
Do we know when we can expect the next firmware upgrade for the W2? Specifically looking for the z1r profile.
Should be real soon. I am also waiting for the update from LP.

Sep 14, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4,015 of 5,297
My first post on Head-Fi! After reading most of this thread, I'm up to page 197, I bought the W2 and received it yesterday. All the hype is true, amazing sound. Mine has firmware 1.0.20 is that the latest? Page one of this discussion seems to indicate not, says there: Latest FW: V1.0.2.6AS All (2021-08-18).

I bought mine from Amazon, which says the seller is MusicTeck. It's my understanding MusicTeck is the only authorized seller, so to be on the safe side I asked the seller a question via Amazon. I asked will the W2 from Amazon have warranty coverage and have the latest firmware, and the answer was yes. This morning I registered on the MusicTeck site and was given the option to register through Amazon, which makes me believe MusicTeck does sell through Amazon and the person answering my question was from MusicTeck.

This is my first venture into good Head-Fi gear. I've got a high-end music system that has evolved for 20 years but it's at a point of sonic bliss so I don't expect to do any more upgrades. When we travel, I take my MacBook Air and have always listened to music with inexpensive wired earphones. Recently bought Blessing 2 IEMs and the difference in sound is very gratifying to say the least.

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #4,017 of 5,297
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #4,018 of 5,297
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,019 of 5,297
My first post on Head-Fi! After reading most of this thread, I'm up to page 197, I bought the W2 and received it yesterday. All the hype is true, amazing sound. Mine has firmware 1.0.20 is that the latest? Page one of this discussion seems to indicate not, says there: Latest FW: V1.0.2.6AS All (2021-08-18).

I bought mine from Amazon, which says the seller is MusicTeck. It's my understanding MusicTeck is the only authorized seller, so to be on the safe side I asked the seller a question via Amazon. I asked will the W2 from Amazon have warranty coverage and have the latest firmware, and the answer was yes. This morning I registered on the MusicTeck site and was given the option to register through Amazon, which makes me believe MusicTeck does sell through Amazon and the person answering my question was from MusicTeck.

This is my first venture into good Head-Fi gear. I've got a high-end music system that has evolved for 20 years but it's at a point of sonic bliss so I don't expect to do any more upgrades. When we travel, I take my MacBook Air and have always listened to music with inexpensive wired earphones. Recently bought Blessing 2 IEMs and the difference in sound is very gratifying to say the least.
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Yes, Musicteck sells through Amazon as well. You can just email them for any future related requests.

As for the FW, there is a newer version, but for now I would say just enjoy and explore the exiting features of this great little device. :)

Sep 14, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #4,020 of 5,297
Congrats and welcome to the club!

Yes, Musicteck sells through Amazon as well. You can just email them for any future related requests.

As for the FW, there is a newer version, but for now I would say just enjoy and explore the exiting features of this great little device. :)
Thanks bluestorm! Right, just play music though it as it sounds perfect as is. Not sure I will ever need to update. I am curious how many updates there have been after the version on my W2. I also sent a message to MusicTeck asking the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back