Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Sep 12, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #3,991 of 5,299
Sep 12, 2021 at 7:51 PM Post #3,994 of 5,299
Sep 12, 2021 at 8:00 PM Post #3,995 of 5,299
W2 shows the same 32B for all Apple Music tracks through iOS. I have turned on and of the highest setting multiple times but W2 still shows 32B. I wish Apple Music on iOS had a way to check the exact resolution of each file it’s playing. Anyone else having this same issue on iOS? I ask because I searched the thread and it seemed that people were having this issue on Macs and not iOS devices!

Ok, figured out where I could see the resolution of each song on the iPad and iPhone. I am not sure why I didn't see the Losless icon right underneath the bar that shows the progress of the song!

When I plug W2 to both devices and the music app is not open, it shows 16B on the W2. As soon as I open and play music from Apple Music, it changes to 32B which I read earlier on the thread that W2 is just adding zeroes and that it will play at the native resolution of each son. So to answer my questions, there is no need to pay attention to this and I should just enjoy the music!

So far it sounds superb! I have only tried it with Andromeda and with Sony MDR-EX1000 and am really enjoying the later! With Andromeda I noticed how clean it is compared to my other sources! I always thought the Sony NW-ZX300 was clean as I couldn't hear any hiss with Andromeda even though other people can hear a slight amount of hiss. Now after using W2 I can see how much cleaner it is!

I still have to play with the EQ and the other settings but so far I'm really liking it! Can't wait to receive an OTG lightning cable that will allow 5Volts instead of 3.3Volts. I got a tester and saw that the included Lightning OTG cable can only transfer 3.3Volts. This is supposed to be the reason why many reviewers preferred W2 on an iPad Pro or a computer as when you sue the USB C OTG cable you do get the full 5Volts.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #3,996 of 5,299
Regarding the usb error, the document said don’t use usb hub, you need to
connect directly to computer USB port. It works for me.
If you get it produce sound with Mac, you should be good.
Nope, I get no sound when connected USB-C to the Mac, I'm not using a USB Hub. I've rebooted the mac a couple of times, and... nothing. Tried all 4 USBC ports on the Mac. The LP is getting power, the display is on, but it never appears as a USB audio device to select in Tidal, SoundSource, AudioMIDI setup etc.

I'm beginning to think I have a dud unit.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #3,997 of 5,299
Nope, I get no sound when connected USB-C to the Mac, I'm not using a USB Hub. I've rebooted the mac a couple of times, and... nothing. Tried all 4 USBC ports on the Mac. The LP is getting power, the display is on, but it never appears as a USB audio device to select in Tidal, SoundSource, AudioMIDI setup etc.

If just with Mac (not under the virtue machines, just the Mac system), you should get it work without any drivers. You may try it with your phone with the enclosed cable and see if it works. If not, then most likely you get a defective unit.

Sep 12, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #3,998 of 5,299

Is this an M1 MacBook? I have seen reports in other threads about the Thunderbolt ports being very picky about cables and USB-C compatibility. Have you tried a different cable?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #3,999 of 5,299

Same, my macbook m1 cannot detect like i mentioned previously. I bought ddhifi usbc cable just to see if it has something to do with the cable but no luck. The only way to detect it is when i connect it through the hub/dongle. Its just Mac i believe. Have no problem connect it to iphone or ipad directly.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #4,000 of 5,299
Is this an M1 MacBook? I have seen reports in other threads about the Thunderbolt ports being very picky about cables and USB-C compatibility. Have you tried a different cable?
No, it's a 2019 MBP.

The only way to detect it is when i connect it through the hub/dongle. Its just Mac i believe.
Hmmmmm, based on a previous post, I thought the hub was the problem, so I had tried using the USB-C ports only. BUT, now you mention it, I've tried using a hub, and now the UAC device is recognised. Or rather, it was for about 30 seconds before Tidal gave me an error "Unknown error when trying to select device" and stopped playing through the W2.

So I unplugged it and plugged it in again. This time it worked for about 10 minutes before.... getting the same error. I will not be doing this any more.

This unit is defective and it will be returned. Shame, as I was looking for a possible DAP-alternative, but it will not be a W2 for me.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #4,001 of 5,299
I recently received the W2 leather case from Musicteck and while I really like it, I found that its attraction to my iPhone 12 Mini’s MagSafe array is much weaker than I was hoping. Fortunately, I found a couple of products on Amazon that has saved the day and helped me create a true mid-to-upper tier DAP killer.

The first is a MagSafe mount with adhesive on the other side. It’s meant for magnetically attaching your iPhone to a wall, car dash, etc. The next is simply some magnetic plates (I didn’t want to risk using the only plate that came w/ the W2 case on the off chance this didn’t work out as well as I expected).

Combined w/ the ddHiFi MFi06 cable, I have a really solid portable experience. Neither my phone nor the W2 is permanently attached to anything and the pairing can be quickly applied/removed. Note: The MagSafe magnet mount attraction (to the iPhone) is really strong so for those who don’t like/want the W2 leather case you can buy a TPU case for the W2 and adhere it directly to the back of the MagSafe magnet mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097CGPZV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2HYV7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachments

• 9764DDA5-BABA-4634-8184-1C4DEBD4A3C0.jpeg
    9764DDA5-BABA-4634-8184-1C4DEBD4A3C0.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 85934D26-CF6D-4A48-8CAD-A7D01D46C75B.jpeg
    85934D26-CF6D-4A48-8CAD-A7D01D46C75B.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 13, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #4,002 of 5,299
I recently received the W2 leather case from Musicteck and while I really like it, I found that its attraction to my iPhone 12 Mini’s MagSafe array is much weaker than I was hoping. Fortunately, I found a couple of products on Amazon that has saved the day and helped me create a true mid-to-upper tier DAP killer.

The first is a MagSafe mount with adhesive on the other side. It’s meant for magnetically attaching your iPhone to a wall, car dash, etc. The next is simply some magnetic plates (I didn’t want to risk using the only plate that came w/ the W2 case on the off chance this didn’t work out as well as I expected).

Combined w/ the ddHiFi MFi06 cable, I have a really solid portable experience. Neither my phone nor the W2 is permanently attached to anything and the pairing can be quickly applied/removed. Note: The MagSafe magnet mount attraction (to the iPhone) is really strong so for those who don’t like/want the W2 leather case you can buy a TPU case for the W2 and adhere it directly to the back of the MagSafe magnet mount.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097CGPZV3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O2HYV7K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That seems really cool! Do you get any RFI or EMI interference when having W2 right next to your phone? I get it on my iPhone 12 Pro and even the ferrite cable clips don't eliminate it completely. However, I wonder if using a magnetic plate, like on your second link, that covers the entire W2 would provide shielding for the interference.

Sep 13, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #4,003 of 5,299
That seems really cool! Do you get any RFI or EMI interference when having W2 right next to your phone? I get it on my iPhone 12 Pro and even the ferrite cable clips don't eliminate it completely. However, I wonder if using a magnetic plate, like on your second link, that covers the entire W2 would provide shielding for the interference.
I'm not hearing any interference at all; however, my understanding is that this typically happens (or is more apparent) w/ sensitive IEMs and I'm using this setup w/ my full size headphones (Meze Empyrean). It's worth a try though, perhaps the magnet + magnetic plates will create enough separation/shielding to solve the issue you're having. Best of luck!

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #4,004 of 5,299
Another major source of interference is actually coming from the loose lightening connection. A solid cable is really important here.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #4,005 of 5,299

Hey @tret, thanks so much for this elegant, yet inexpensive solution!! I'm getting ready to replace my iPhone 11 with a mini 13 w/ the apple MagSafe battery. Brilliant!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back