Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,816 of 5,299
Has anyone compared the W2 with the Qudelix 5K? It seems to me as if the W2 compared to the 5K adds tube harmonics.
That is, it doesn't sound quite authentic, but warm and pleasant.
Has anyone had these impressions?
W2 is much more resolving than Qudelix from my impression.
In the same time though as I wrote above I cannot stand W2 on my Full Size Denons whereas on Qudelix it's fine.
From my feeling Qudelix is like a more mediocre Paw S1, that means darker and more wet and pairs better with brighter gear. (I mean Paw S1 is a step up from Qudelix but similarly tuned)
Regarding tube I guess you refer to NOS filter?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,817 of 5,299
Has anyone compared the W2 with the Qudelix 5K? It seems to me as if the W2 compared to the 5K adds tube harmonics.
That is, it doesn't sound quite authentic, but warm and pleasant.
Has anyone had these impressions?
I own a tube amp and I've demoed both full tube and hybrid tube amps, the W2 does not add anything that resembles tube sound. The Cayin C9 has that feature and one of the reasons I purchased it.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,818 of 5,299
I own a tube amp and I've demoed both full tube and hybrid tube amps, the W2 does not add anything that resembles tube sound. The Cayin C9 has that feature and one of the reasons I purchased it.
I agree, I could only afford a used Oriolus BA300S but tube tuning is a different story than even NOS filter setting

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #1,819 of 5,299
W2 is much more resolving than Qudelix from my impression.
In the same time though as I wrote above I cannot stand W2 on my Full Size Denons whereas on Qudelix it's fine.
From my feeling Qudelix is like a more mediocre Paw S1, that means darker and more wet and pairs better with brighter gear. (I mean Paw S1 is a step up from Qudelix but similarly tuned)
Regarding tube I guess you refer to NOS filter?
Thanks for your comparison!

What is the NOS filter? Does it make the sound so warm, but detailed at the same time?

Thanks! I recently listened to the C9 in the showroom with my Tin P2 and was impressed! But I'm confused by the size (and price).
Do you know of a DAP that gives something similar?

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #1,820 of 5,299

What is the NOS filter? Does it make the sound so warm, but detailed at the same time?

Thanks! I recently listened to the C9 in the showroom with my Tin P2 and was impressed! But I'm confused by the size (and price).
Do you know of a DAP that gives something similar?
I think the Cayin N8 has a tube amp option. Need to ask one of their owners.

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #1,821 of 5,299
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,823 of 5,299

Am pasting a nice detailed explanation from Ibasso DX300 thread here which is explaining the actual sense of NOS (non over sampling) filter.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...om-new-firmware-2-6-2021.943221/post-16165109

It is usually not to be used for "only" 16bit/44khz music but for upsampled music.
Nevertheless it can have some tube like effect (not really comparable to a real tube amp) but a tiny bit of more decay and lush tuning.
Have occasionally tried it on W2 though the effect is much more present on the Ibasso DX300

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,824 of 5,299
Am pasting a nice detailed explanation from Ibasso DX300 thread here which is explaining the actual sense of NOS (non over sampling) filter.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/iba...om-new-firmware-2-6-2021.943221/post-16165109

It is usually not to be used for "only" 16bit/44khz music but for upsampled music.
Nevertheless it can have some tube like effect (not really comparable to a real tube amp) but a tiny bit of more decay and lush tuning.
Have occasionally tried it on W2 though the effect is much more present on the Ibasso DX300
thank you! unfortunately its very complicated information.
Is NOS in W2 enabled by default?
available to be switched?

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #1,825 of 5,299
thank you! unfortunately its very complicated information.
Is NOS in W2 enabled by default?
available to be switched?
Can be selected from the different digital filters, I think standard filter was "fast" but there are more.
Usually you select them according to your music taste like fast for more modern EDM music with fast kick drums or slow for slower music where you like more decay so notes are slightly fading out longer

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,826 of 5,299
Shanling Q1 as digital transport, W2 and Aurelius BA300S tube amp driving my Denon full size cans with ease in a nice mobile setup

Attachments

• 1C267A59-ECEC-4F9D-A14A-BD81E60D735A.jpeg
    1C267A59-ECEC-4F9D-A14A-BD81E60D735A.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Apr 7, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #1,828 of 5,299
If I am not mistaken then the HE1000se has an impedance of 35 Ohms. I did my test on the balanced output?

I will repeat the experiment with a USB power meter in the chain. Then I can try the W2 direct ly connected to the IPhone or with a power bank/hub in the middle to see whether that makes any difference.
I managed to get hold of my wife's IPhone again but then I realized my USB power meter only has male input connectors, so I need a USB-C female-female coupler to connect the L&P lightening cable. I will order that piece and report back.

Apr 7, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #1,830 of 5,299
How much volume does the Shanling Q1 give? Does it work without restrictions, like an Android smartphone, or does it have interruptions like an iPhone?
Unfortunately not better, distorting above 72 unbalanced on my Andros...
Will test on my newly ordered MEST MKII how far they can perform once they arrive next Monday as distortion level depends also on IEM impedance as we discussed before

Users who are viewing this thread

Back