Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 6, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #1,801 of 5,299
I wonder if the type C connector on the W2 gets damaged how difficult is to replace it.
Probably very. I really hope I never get to the stage of relying on L&P's customer service considering I am in the UK...

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,802 of 5,299
This was a pleasant surprise. Don't know of many dongles that can push the LCD2F adequately with some headroom to spare. I could happily leave it at 70 in HG.
20210406_154313.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:17 AM Post #1,803 of 5,299
I wonder if the type C connector on the W2 gets damaged how difficult is to replace it.
If you can figure out how to access the PCB, it would be relatively easy to change out the female USB C connector on your own.
I believe you can remove the carbon fiber bottom plate using a heat gun to access the PCB.

Apr 6, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #1,804 of 5,299
Or maybe really keep one good cable like USB-C to USB-C ddhifi cable always connected to W2 and plug/unplug the other end of the cable either directly to your source or to another adapter like ddhifi lightning to USB-C.
Thereby you reduce the usage of the W2 USB port

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,805 of 5,299
The amp. If I could find a good balanced amp with a similar form factor as S1/W1/W2 I’d go for it.
Well, the amp is quite good if you trick it into HIM or AUX. Have you tried that? I also was considering buying a more powerful amp to pair with my V40, but after actually testing my gear with it and using imp adapter to trick it, i came to the conclusion that an separate amp is just waste of money for my use.

No need to trick it for IEMs at all(my usage with Oppo PM-3) . The amp is prob not the best if you drive low ohm low sens headphones, but those kind of headphone are probably best with an desktop amp for home use anyway:)

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #1,806 of 5,299
I have the iFi Diablo and am wondering if there’s any point to doing this with an iPhone as the transport?

iPhone as a transport for iDSD Diablo makes sense if you'd like to have a transportable package that can drive pretty much any headphones. Dektop use however is a different and broad subject :).

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #1,807 of 5,299
Well, the amp is quite good if you trick it into HIM or AUX. Have you tried that? I also was considering buying a more powerful amp to pair with my V40, but after actually testing my gear with it and using imp adapter to trick it, i came to the conclusion that an separate amp is just waste of money for my use.

No need to trick it for IEMs at all(my usage with Oppo PM-3) . The amp is prob not the best if you drive low ohm low sens headphones, but those kind of headphone are probably best with an desktop amp for home use anyway:)
Unfortunately my V30 is a Euro version, with built-in volume limitations. I have not found an effective way to bypass the limitations so far, except by using an external amp. Using iFi xCAN atm, connected to HO. Works nice, just a bit bulky.

Apr 6, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,808 of 5,299
Not on mine.. but I reckon it will be over time... That's just the nature of small connectors with the constant plugging and unplugging. I would use something like sugru to keep the connection sturdy if you only intend to stick to one connection.
Electrical tape seems to be doing the job for now. But this may be my last dongle. I also had the Earmen Sparrow whose balanced connection started getting choppy after a day of use. Here it is the usb connector. Qudelix is the only dongle I had zero issues with, and I’ve had it the longest.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:54 AM Post #1,809 of 5,299
thank you! it's worth checking out the new iPhones in the apple store.

Could you try connecting 32 ohm headphones to the balanced output of the W2 at 100% volume?

I only reach 100% volume when using isodynamic IEM with 32 ohm impedance and it's not as loud as it may seem
If I am not mistaken then the HE1000se has an impedance of 35 Ohms. I did my test on the balanced output?

I will repeat the experiment with a USB power meter in the chain. Then I can try the W2 direct ly connected to the IPhone or with a power bank/hub in the middle to see whether that makes any difference.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,810 of 5,299
This was a pleasant surprise. Don't know of many dongles that can push the LCD2F adequately with some headroom to spare. I could happily leave it at 70 in HG.
20210406_154313.jpg
I hear you. I was stunned at how well the W2 drove my ZMF verite closed.

Apr 6, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #1,812 of 5,299
Thanks @FooFighter; so you think that is the best way to go so far? I was hoping there was something that would involve fewer pieces; but this is great to know this works well. Thanks so much for experimenting for the rest of us! :)

(Also I have used a different usb dac in my pocket daily for years; have never had any damage to a connector; I'm just conscientious about putting it in a pocket).
I use the Lotoo Lightning to USB C cable that was made for the Paw S1. It works great with iPhones and iPads. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available any longer (no idea why). Maybe check with Andrew at MusicTeck to see if they are just out of stock?

Alternatively, this cable from Penon Audio will also work. If you want the most "pocketable" version, go for the right-angled option...

https://penonaudio.com/audio-cable/usb-cable/type-c-to-lightning-silver-plated-cable.html

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #1,813 of 5,299
These headphones are a massive misfire by AT, been sitting in its box for 2 years, can't even sell them, they sound exactly how you describe the W2 and that turns the comments into compliments as L&P only create reference products, ive had a few including P6Pro, they will reveal and perform exactly to the level of your cans.
Hip dac which i also have, on the other hand is a very lush, warm dac and undoubtedly will make these ATs more listenable.
Advise, if i may, keep W2, get a set of fantastic iems and enjoy 🍻🎶👍
Shame, as your missing out on a great pair of cans. Try giving the SR9s a good burn-in session and then make an evaluation. I noticed a significant difference before and after burn-in.

I've tried lots of other equipment on them eg. Monolith portable DAC amp, THX amps, Helm Bolt etc etc, and although some have been brighter than others, but still enjoyable, none of them sounded as sterile and thin sounding as the W2. Yes, the SR9s are slightly bright but they are also revealing of the components they are attached to, which makes them great for evaluating DACS and and head amps, and which is why I stand by my comments about the W2.

And it's not just me that thinks the SR9s are special; they've got plenty of glowing reviews on the net, from professionals and ordinary users; eg. they are currently on sale on Amazon for £350 and have 49 users ratings with an average of 4 and half stars.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #1,814 of 5,299
No need for bashing gear.
It's all up to synergy and taste.
I also don't like W2 with my Full Size Denons and find them too bright there too.
So it's not only up to one single headphone which might not be a good match.
But for the others, especially IEMs it's a nice small audiophile dongle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back