Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 5, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #1,786 of 5,299
Is there a consensus on the best way to get the W2 and a phone in a pocket without regular interuptions? My current dongle setup (iphone to over-priced apple cable to dragonfly red) is really good in that I never hear any interruptions at all, but on an old phone, I would get tons of interuptions with my dragonfly. Seeing people say that issues with the iphone to w2 in their pocket was making me nervous. The ddhifi adapter > usb c-to-c otg cable > dac seemed like one more part than ideal, but if it works....
I would not put an iPhone and a W2 in your pocket. First of all, it will disconnect frequently and second, it will damage the connector. Best way to use the W2 is to attach it with Velcro on the back of your smartphone and carry the device in your hand. If you want to put your smartphone in your pocket, use a bluetooth option like UTWS3. That works very well even though the sound quality takes a hit due to bluetooth.

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #1,787 of 5,299
I would not put an iPhone and a W2 in your pocket. First of all, it will disconnect frequently and second, it will damage the connector. Best way to use the W2 is to attach it with Velcro on the back of your smartphone and carry the device in your hand. If you want to put your smartphone in your pocket, use a bluetooth option like UTWS3. That works very well even though the sound quality takes a hit due to bluetooth.
Why should it damage the connector more than for an Android Phone?
Velcro solution is fine but any before mentioned adapter solution will work fine in the pocket like my ddhifi lightning adapter plus ddhifi usb-c cable, very stable no interruptions.
Penon cable was also mentioned before in this thread which is lightning-to-USB-C in one cable like the stock one but with better quality - haven't tried this one though

Apr 5, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,789 of 5,299
I was told that if you use a cable that uses an Apple-certified chip, the iPhone will give up to 500 mA

If anyone uses such a cable, please test it at maximum volume in the W2
Please look at the pages before.
IPhone will distort at above volume 85 +- with W2 with any cable I have tried so far including e.g original Apple camera connection kit

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,790 of 5,299
Thanks @FooFighter; so you think that is the best way to go so far? I was hoping there was something that would involve fewer pieces; but this is great to know this works well. Thanks so much for experimenting for the rest of us! :)

(Also I have used a different usb dac in my pocket daily for years; have never had any damage to a connector; I'm just conscientious about putting it in a pocket).

Apr 5, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #1,791 of 5,299
Thanks @FooFighter; so you think that is the best way to go so far? I was hoping there was something that would involve fewer pieces; but this is great to know this works well. Thanks so much for experimenting for the rest of us! :)

(Also I have used a different usb dac in my pocket daily for years; have never had any damage to a connector; I'm just conscientious about putting it in a pocket).
no worries, I had the same concerns before and was e.g. also wondering if both lightning/USB-connectors and headphone cable should better leave the pocket at the top (so that usually means phone is upside down and cable arrangement can get fussy depending on the type, angles and length of the connectors...)
I am still curiously waiting for the Aliexpress delivery of the 180degree USB-C connector which is the most compact solution I have seen so far.
Unfortunately only for USB-C and not for lightning ports...

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:26 PM Post #1,792 of 5,299
Here's another frequency graph but from DIY Audio Heaven:

fr-stock-1.png

A little different, no?

But to revise my earlier statement about the SR9s being "neutral sounding", I confirm that (after extensive burn-in) SR9s are just a little brighter in treble than your average headphone but that just aids clarity and transparency.

Anyway, my complaint against the W2 wasn't about brightness but about its thin, antiseptic quality which the SR9s fully expose.
These headphones are a massive misfire by AT, been sitting in its box for 2 years, can't even sell them, they sound exactly how you describe the W2 and that turns the comments into compliments as L&P only create reference products, ive had a few including P6Pro, they will reveal and perform exactly to the level of your cans.
Hip dac which i also have, on the other hand is a very lush, warm dac and undoubtedly will make these ATs more listenable.
Advise, if i may, keep W2, get a set of fantastic iems and enjoy 🍻🎶👍

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #1,793 of 5,299
Andrew (Musicteck) wrote me this:
As far as we tested, there is no issues with W1 since it only draws 90mA, but W2 draws 110-120mA and iPhone has a limitation of 100mA to support external devices. So, when using W2 with iPhone 11 or 12 and W2 volume is over 70, it draws more current than iPhone allows and volume gets choppy and cuts off, even with that white cable. We suggest you set your iPhone to max volume, set W2 gain high and lower W2 volume below 70. That is when there are no issues with iPhone. Android phones and windows laptops don't have this issue. Only iPhones.
It is drawing close to 160mA from my iPad Pro.

Apr 5, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #1,794 of 5,299
I noticed today that the usb c port on my W2 is a little wobbly. Or rather the usb cable has a lot of play while plugged in (I tried several cables). I hooked it up to my computer and it occasionally disconnects when I pick it up. When I used it with my iPhone I assumed the occasional disconnects were all due to the lightning port side. But it appears there is a problem on the usb c end as well. I can move the usb cable up and down quite a bit while it’s plugged in. Anybody else has that?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #1,795 of 5,299
Please look at the pages before.
IPhone will distort at above volume 85 +- with W2 with any cable I have tried so far including e.g original Apple camera connection kit
You are connecting the W2 to an IPhone and when you raise the volume on the W2 over 85 it starts distorting due to lack of power via the USB port? Which IPhone model and what headphones are you using?

I just tried this with my wife's IPhone 12 Pro Max and an HE1000se. I don't have Neutron on there but listening to the system sound that seems to work okay at volume 100 in high gain with the L&P cable. Even 85 is plenty loud but I wanted to check for the degradation.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:31 AM Post #1,796 of 5,299
Hmm. Whats the point using an external dac with V30 when the internal is very good? 🙂
The amp. If I could find a good balanced amp with a similar form factor as S1/W1/W2 I’d go for it.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,797 of 5,299
I noticed today that the usb c port on my W2 is a little wobbly. Or rather the usb cable has a lot of play while plugged in (I tried several cables). I hooked it up to my computer and it occasionally disconnects when I pick it up. When I used it with my iPhone I assumed the occasional disconnects were all due to the lightning port side. But it appears there is a problem on the usb c end as well. I can move the usb cable up and down quite a bit while it’s plugged in. Anybody else has that?
Not on mine.. but I reckon it will be over time... That's just the nature of small connectors with the constant plugging and unplugging. I would use something like sugru to keep the connection sturdy if you only intend to stick to one connection.

Apr 6, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #1,798 of 5,299
You are connecting the W2 to an IPhone and when you raise the volume on the W2 over 85 it starts distorting due to lack of power via the USB port? Which IPhone model and what headphones are you using?

I just tried this with my wife's IPhone 12 Pro Max and an HE1000se. I don't have Neutron on there but listening to the system sound that seems to work okay at volume 100 in high gain with the L&P cable. Even 85 is plenty loud but I wanted to check for the degradation.
thank you! it's worth checking out the new iPhones in the apple store.

Could you try connecting 32 ohm headphones to the balanced output of the W2 at 100% volume?

I only reach 100% volume when using isodynamic IEM with 32 ohm impedance and it's not as loud as it may seem

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,800 of 5,299
Not on mine.. but I reckon it will be over time... That's just the nature of small connectors with the constant plugging and unplugging. I would use something like sugru to keep the connection sturdy if you only intend to stick to one connection.
I wonder if the type C connector on the W2 gets damaged how difficult is to replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back