Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 29, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #1,591 of 5,299
Installed Mconnect on a friend of mine's iphone once, worked fine. You can browse upnp or network libraries, and output it to any upnp renderer (like Neutron - very nice features, worst interface ever). Mconnect also have a local player.

Oh, and I'm very, very attached to my personal library :wink:

EDIT : Note that mconnect is far away to offer the same experience as Bubble upnp. Mainly, you don't get the upnp library search function (for libraries which support it, like Foobar2000 upnp library). As far as I know, Bubbleupnp is the only phone app which supports search function on upnp libraries. I'm interrested if someone knows about another one tough. Maybe time to switch to android ? :wink: :D
For videos, VLC supports upnp and network browsing on android, I assume it's the same on IOS.
Yes, I tried VLC too.
Though I remember I had hick up issues playing hires files with Paw S1, will need to retest with W2.

Mar 29, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #1,592 of 5,299
For anyone who might be interested.

Attachments

• 20210329_202646.jpg
    20210329_202646.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Mar 29, 2021 at 9:13 AM Post #1,593 of 5,299
I will struggle for now to move away from my locally stored files to streaming only - even though logically I know it makes sense, and this has become increasingly apparent in the last week even while using Tidal more, I have been very impressed by SQ and the pretty vast library available, even in genres I hadn't expected. There are however quite a few artists/albums I can still only access on Bandcamp - my preferred source for buying music due to flexibility of formats, a means to store my collection online and the fact that the artist/label are treated well in terms of what they earn.

I have been buying CDs and vinyl for about 30 years and have a large collection - I started to compliment this with digital in the early 00's when I began ripping/downloading and enjoyed the benefits of digital on-the-go, but at home, still very much listened to physical formats. Just late last year, I found I was actually running out of space for storing and being able to access my physical music so I made the decision to focus more on digital only but with the odd exception for CDs or vinyl. That shift from spending money on physical music formats (expensive when you take shipping etc into account) allowed me to channel the cash towards this hobby instead and I have loved every minute.

My (potentially complicated!) solution for now in terms of local library & streaming is a 1TB micro SD via a USB hub on my Mac (along with using some internal Mac storage) pointed to Audivarna and Tidal also linked. I then have my DAPs which have pretty much the same library on SD cards - so for portable use, I listen on my DAPs in various parts of the house or out and about - when at my laptop, I now use the W2 to play a combination of local library, Tidal, YouTube, Netflix etc. This being of course when using earphones etc, I have other solutions for playing music via regular speakers.

While complicated and not logical, I have an emotional attachment to storing local files - I even enjoy sorting them in folders and have a system I've used for many years in that regard. I suspect one day this emotional attachment will be beaten by logic - i.e. streaming to all systems in my house, with one control panel for all... makes sense but I'm a while away from that yet I think!

Anyway, moral of the story is that the W2 has moved me a bit further on that journey, especially as I've now started to use Tidal and Audivarna, all combined, they've opened my eyes to the posibilities!

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,594 of 5,299
This is not the pairing that I was trying to make, but it sounds phenomenal and I am going to use it as a mobile solution. It turns the R6 2020 into a great sounding DAP. It really opens up the sound stage to capitalize on the UM MEST sound stage and imaging. And, the bass is deep and rumbles.

Second picture is how to position it for walking. The USB-C to USB-C cable works a lot better than the lightning cable.

How’s the battery drain on the Hiby in this configuration? It does not have wireless charging, correct? My Hiby R5 drains pretty fast with the W2 attached, sadly. With my iPhone, I can wirelessly charge it at the same time, but lose out on the EQ features of Android.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,595 of 5,299
How’s the battery drain on the Hiby in this configuration? It does not have wireless charging, correct? My Hiby R5 drains pretty fast with the W2 attached, sadly. With my iPhone, I can wirelessly charge it at the same time, but lose out on the EQ features of Android.
Extremely fast drain. Twice as fast as normal. I was surprised that it dropped 60% in just 2 hours of listening.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,596 of 5,299
Re u playing local files or mostly streaming?
For local files I recommend Neutron on IPhone, top notch and very advanced equing.
Though u re of course limited by the IPhone storage

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,597 of 5,299
Re u playing local files or mostly streaming?
For local files I recommend Neutron on IPhone, top notch and very advanced equing.
Though u re of course limited by the IPhone storage

For streaming Qobuz. Amarra Play has a 4 band EQ, but it’s very clunky to use. You can change the positions of the filters and the Q values but it’s all done through a graphical interface. Then when you turn it on and off it takes a while to apply making it hard to do comparisons. Also the general interface is clunky too, although they did just update it and it seems a bit better.

I have found no other options of EQing Qobuz on iOS. If they just fixed the equalizer it would be a winner.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,598 of 5,299
For streaming Qobuz. Amarra Play has a 4 band EQ, but it’s very clunky to use. You can change the positions of the filters and the Q values but it’s all done through a graphical interface. Then when you turn it on and off it takes a while to apply making it hard to do comparisons. Also the general interface is clunky too, although they did just update it and it seems a bit better.

I have found no other options of EQing Qobuz on iOS. If they just fixed the equalizer it would be a winner.
Mmh ok, haven't tried Quobuz yet.
If it doesn't allow external apps to play offline content I have no better idea, maybe Roon but that would work also only at home...

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #1,599 of 5,299
Mmh ok, haven't tried Quobuz yet.
If it doesn't allow external apps to play offline content I have no better idea, maybe Roon but that would work also only at home...

Roon does work — you are right, that’s another option although a very pricy one and limited to home. During my trial it was also quite glitchy on the phone.

I wish there was a small Windows device to be used as transport where system wide EQ would be easy to implement. There used to be a lot of small Windows tablets on the market but now almost none.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,600 of 5,299
I will struggle for now to move away from my locally stored files to streaming only - even though logically I know it makes sense, and this has become increasingly apparent in the last week even while using Tidal more, I have been very impressed by SQ and the pretty vast library available, even in genres I hadn't expected. There are however quite a few artists/albums I can still only access on Bandcamp - my preferred source for buying music due to flexibility of formats, a means to store my collection online and the fact that the artist/label are treated well in terms of what they earn.

I have been buying CDs and vinyl for about 30 years and have a large collection - I started to compliment this with digital in the early 00's when I began ripping/downloading and enjoyed the benefits of digital on-the-go, but at home, still very much listened to physical formats. Just late last year, I found I was actually running out of space for storing and being able to access my physical music so I made the decision to focus more on digital only but with the odd exception for CDs or vinyl. That shift from spending money on physical music formats (expensive when you take shipping etc into account) allowed me to channel the cash towards this hobby instead and I have loved every minute.

My (potentially complicated!) solution for now in terms of local library & streaming is a 1TB micro SD via a USB hub on my Mac (along with using some internal Mac storage) pointed to Audivarna and Tidal also linked. I then have my DAPs which have pretty much the same library on SD cards - so for portable use, I listen on my DAPs in various parts of the house or out and about - when at my laptop, I now use the W2 to play a combination of local library, Tidal, YouTube, Netflix etc. This being of course when using earphones etc, I have other solutions for playing music via regular speakers.

While complicated and not logical, I have an emotional attachment to storing local files - I even enjoy sorting them in folders and have a system I've used for many years in that regard. I suspect one day this emotional attachment will be beaten by logic - i.e. streaming to all systems in my house, with one control panel for all... makes sense but I'm a while away from that yet I think!

Anyway, moral of the story is that the W2 has moved me a bit further on that journey, especially as I've now started to use Tidal and Audivarna, all combined, they've opened my eyes to the posibilities!
My own buying is more a philanthropy and an acknowledgement of quality music nowadays. Then again, sometimes my Wi-Fi/Internet can be pretty crap, so it is nice to listen to music and not be cut out and waiting for a buffer!

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:50 AM Post #1,601 of 5,299
Phantastic - so you mean that a 260 Euro L&P W2 DAC can be not far away from a 2.300 Euro Chord Hugo 2. That means for a10 times less expensive device to sacrifice how much of sound quality ?
I use a W2 and think it is as much as anyone needs for great jazz and classical music - but then stepping up to such a device you compare it with requires a bit more good arguments....
It kind of gives me the feeling that L&P developed something rather outstanding in terms of value/price performace.
It does not sound 10x better:relaxed: but audio like cars is a game of diminishing returns. With the progress that has been made in the last 2 years I would not buy the Hugo 2 again.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,602 of 5,299
It does not sound 10x better:relaxed: but audio like cars is a game of diminishing returns. With the progress that has been made in the last 2 years I would not buy the Hugo 2 again.
Same here, just sold my Hugo 2.

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,604 of 5,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back