Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #1,516 of 5,290
I just got the W1, and the audio kept on cutting out. Thankfully, it was a driver issue and rolling back the driver(which Windows automatically updated) fixed the issues for me. So far so good, better than the HUD100 I've been using. I've been using them with the IER-M7 via balanced out or hooked to an Asgard 3 to drive the HD800. I figured that since max volume output(SE) is around 2Vrm and the output is clean enough, I could probably use it to replace the internal DAC of the Asgard 3. Anyhow, I'll report back if any one's interested.
I'd love to hear about your experience on the HD800.

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #1,517 of 5,290
My case! Actually a convenient slot beside my DAP to store the W2 when not in use. Great find on AliExpress, storage on the top for 2 IEMs.

20210326_192241.jpg
Nice! Can you provide a link please?

Mar 26, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,518 of 5,290
Mar 26, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #1,520 of 5,290
Well my first point was a joke - I too have still not yet understood what this "tune" is for - and I can't hear much difference or at least not decide which one is "better" (whatever that means). The W1 to W2 is the same is actually not your comment but you replied to a comment of somebody who stated that, sorry for that mishap.
Anyway W1 and W2 are absolutely NOT THE SAME even though their size is identical. But this is so clear that W1 is a single DAC and W2 is a dual DAC - so that I would assume the whole world knows that buy now. They also sound differently (slightly though).

The quote about W1 and W2 being the same except for Tune option (W1 doesn't have Tune setting) was in reference to their Setting menu. It was my post which you marked as "Liked" and then attacked ClieOS when he quoted it lol!

Mar 26, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,521 of 5,290
Mar 26, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #1,523 of 5,290
Peace, I am just confirming that there is synergy to be had.

btw. It helps to add the link to the site where the graph was taken from. Here is the text above that graph on DYI Audio heaven :wink:
Fully agree with you about the synergy, there ain't any between the SR9 and W2 for sure. The Hip DAC, on the other hand, sings with the SR9s - better than many more expensive DAC headphone amp combinations I've tried with them.

As for the SR9 itself, it has had some mixed reviews - some, like me, think they're really special closed back headphones and others just don't get along with them. Initially, they did sound too bright and, as the reviewer you quoted mentioned, sounded coarse, but after 80 hours burn-in/use they settled down nicely to reveal what they're truly capable of. I recently had a pair of Audeze LCD-1 headphones but sold them because, despite being very fine headphones and genuinely very neutral sounding - frequency graphs show them to be ruler flat - the SR9s were more transparent, had better detail and clarity and even more surprisingly, had better soundstaging ability. Moral of the story: Frequency graphs can tell you only so much about what a headphone will sound like and whether you'll actually like them or not.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #1,524 of 5,290
anyone tried to hook up some mini DAP such as Shanling M0 using its bidirectional USB-port?
Could possibly be an ultra-mobile combo plus provide bluetooth receiver functionality to W2?

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #1,525 of 5,290
I'd love to hear about your experience on the HD800.
Sure thing. I'd say that the W1 actually drives the HD800 fairly(I only have single ended cables for the HD800, so I can't speak for the balanced output). With Tidal(force volume) and high gain, 75-85% volume is enough to drive the HD800. I'd consider anything over 90% too loud.

However, I feel that compared to a bigger desktop amp, there is lacking impact on the lower end and the sound stage feels a little cramped. The upper range also feels a little harsher than usual. The HD800 doesn't really pair too well with analytical and dry sounding source, and W1 is analytical. IER-M7, which is a rather dark sounding IEM, pairs wonderfully though.

So unless you're the type of person that cranks their volume up super high, W1 provides ample volume, but I'd argue that they aren't quite the best match for the HD800. If anything, Asgard 3's internal DAC, which performs worse on paper, actually sounds more pleasant than the W1.

I've only had the W1 for a day, but I'll let you know if my impressions change.

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #1,526 of 5,290
Very strange what you write - i can not imagine that this is your experience with it - there is something strange WRONG. Either your dongle has a manufacturing problem or there is something else bizarre going on.
I use the W2 with an Oriolus Traillii and that is a heck of a IEM, meaning every lack of something or short coming of this DAC would be merciless exposed, and to be honest, to me the W2 sounds like the best possible fit one can imagine. The bass is deep, absolutely precise and all the way up it is just a pleasure to listen to it.
That is, as to what I read here - basically EVERYBODY's judgement too - you are the first and only person that I know who seems to really have an issue with this DAC, hence I can only assume that there is something else going on. I can't speculate about it - so I leave it there as is, but surely and repeat, absolutely surely this is not a hyped up product or any hype train going on for sure.
But if you don't like this DAC you are right to change it - i think you will quickly find a buyer - there are many desperately trying to get one... as is sold out at the moment it seems.
I have the Trailli as well and find you need a powerful source to really make it shine. Are you saying the W2 is powerful enough? I normally pair with LP6TI and still feel it can use more power.

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,527 of 5,290
I have the Trailli as well and find you need a powerful source to really make it shine. Are you saying the W2 is powerful enough? I normally pair with LP6TI and still feel it can use more power.
If that is the case, what you need is a true powerhouse Cayin C9. My own experience is that the bird really sings with C9.

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #1,528 of 5,290

Maybe you just prefer the pair up synergy of Traillii with LP6 Ti :wink: From my personal experience, Traillii sounds great with any source I tried, from my 2+ year old Galaxy smartphone directly or with W2 (which btw a fantastic pair up) to using any other higher end dap from DX300, R8, LPGT, SP2000, P6 Pro and also C9 on top of that.

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #1,529 of 5,290
Maybe you just prefer the pair up synergy of Traillii with LP6 Ti :wink: From my personal experience, Traillii sounds great with any source I tried, from my 2+ year old Galaxy smartphone directly or with W2 (which btw a fantastic pair up) to using any other higher end dap from DX300, R8, LPGT, SP2000, P6 Pro and also C9 on top of that.
I've just posted in another thread using the H1 and X10TII so the Trailli is not married to the LP6TI. I find it has better clarity and a different tonality with the QA361 which for some genres is even better. Have considered the C9 but it's a bit bigger than I'd like. Looking for a portable solution ie. W2 but apparently sold out.

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #1,530 of 5,290
Hello I had been following this thread for awhile now, how does the W2 compare to the sound of Chord Mojo? @rocketron ? I love the sound of the Mojo but its not really portable, so want to see if the W2 is on par with the audio quality? Or Would you say W2 had already exceed the quality of E1DA or Dragonfly Quest?

Thank you for your time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back