Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 26, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,486 of 5,299
Can anyone tell me what the FLT, HID and Tune menu is?

It is all in the manual included with a device, did you read it? :wink: The W1 and W2 are the same, except W1 does not have Tune presets.

1616764021769.png

Mar 26, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,487 of 5,299
I have Audio Technica ATH-SR9s which are neutral, easy to drive and fairly revealing headphones, and Shure Aonic 4s which are well-balanced IEMs with good imaging and soundstaging abilities.

Also, what's with those EQ presets on the W2? They're really quite crude. The Bass one especially is awful! It just smoothers music with copious amounts of ill defined bass.
Hmm

ATH Over Ear with 57 Ohm, are you running balanced or unbalanced?
In general I wouldn't use a dongle at all for Over ears, maybe for watching TV only as I am doing with my Qudelix 5k which is a solid performer for that

Shure 4s should be quite easy to drive with 7 Ohms so power is not the bottleneck.
Cannot judge as I never had Shure but if they are very revealing and bright they might pair better with a darker source like Paw S1 if you want to have a dongle.

Equing imho is mostly compromising - after trying I always went back to the default on all dongles I had so far.
Only solid implementations I found from my own experience were Neutron or Uapp, respectively firmware in full size DAC RME ADI2-DAC.

More subtle are the DAC filter settings or "tune" setting (which I suppose if working with tuned DAC filters) but if you don't like the general tuning those won't rescue you.

BTW I had a similar experience with AK SR25 with my IEMs - too lean, no body and bass and had to return them and this is for sure no bad DAP but just bad synergy with my Andro Golds.

Better return or swap W2 then...

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,488 of 5,299
... The W1 and W2 are the same, except W1 does not have Tune presets.
It is still a bit confusing what 'tune' really does.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,490 of 5,299
It is still a bit confusing what 'tune' really does.

Maybe some DSP effects, similar to Lotoo's PMEQ vs ATE presets? But yeah, it is confusing, in addition to IEM specific sound profiles :)

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #1,491 of 5,299
I have Audio Technica ATH-SR9s which are neutral-sounding, easy to drive and fairly revealing headphones, and Shure Aonic 4s which are well-balanced IEMs with good imaging and soundstaging abilities.

Also, what's with those EQ presets on the W2? They're really quite crude. The Bass one especially is awful! It just smoothers music with copious amounts of ill defined bass.

I agree the EQ presets are terrible. That’s the most disappointing aspect of the device. Fortunately I like the stock tuning.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #1,493 of 5,299
Maybe some DSP effects, similar to Lotoo's PMEQ vs ATE presets? But yeah, it is confusing, in addition to IEM specific sound profiles :)
AT least Lotoo naming make sense (*well, except for 'Dental' which should has been 'Sibilance'). "01" vs "02" really doesn't have meaning on their own. :face_palm:

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,494 of 5,299
I have Audio Technica ATH-SR9s which are neutral-sounding, easy to drive and fairly revealing headphones, and Shure Aonic 4s which are well-balanced IEMs with good imaging and soundstaging abilities.

Also, what's with those EQ presets on the W2? They're really quite crude. The Bass one especially is awful! It just smoothers music with copious amounts of ill defined bass.This would match
This is similar to my experience on the Focal Utopia which are only slightly treble forward. The ATH-SR9 actually has a rather non neutral tuning

Audio Technica ATH-SR9

These are bass shy and have significantly exaggerated treble so any analytical DAC will likely be uncomfortable. Few DACs are revealing at the level of the W2 so this might work well for other combinations.

152020598543303800488.png

Mar 26, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,496 of 5,299
This is similar to my experience on the Focal Utopia which are only slightly treble forward. The ATH-SR9 actually has a rather non neutral tuning

Audio Technica ATH-SR9

These are bass shy and have significantly exaggerated treble so any analytical DAC will likely be uncomfortable. Few DACs are revealing at the level of the W2 so this might work well for other combinations.

Here's another frequency graph but from DIY Audio Heaven:

fr-stock-1.png

A little different, no?

But to revise my earlier statement about the SR9s being "neutral sounding", I confirm that (after extensive burn-in) SR9s are just a little brighter in treble than your average headphone but that just aids clarity and transparency.

Anyway, my complaint against the W2 wasn't about brightness but about its thin, antiseptic quality which the SR9s fully expose.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,497 of 5,299
Here are what L&P advertises Tune 1 and 2 (rough translation):

Tune 1: Looser sound for mainstream, vocal based music.
Tune 2: Refined sound for complex music such as classical

Mar 26, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,499 of 5,299
Personally, I find the W2 to be head and shoulders above the Paw S1.

I bought the former and passed on the latter altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back