Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #1,126 of 5,290
@bluestorm1992 any idea how we can centrally collect change requests to be sent to L & P?
In other threads there is always a representative of the manufacturer who can be addressed.
Or is there an email adress where we can send such things to?
I once tried sending an email to Lotoo on behalf of S1 and got an error email could not be delivered (potentially due to China communication restrictions from Europe?
No clue how about L & P...
customer@luxuryprecision.net
contact@luxuryprecision.net

They answered quite fast to me on the first email address.

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #1,127 of 5,290
Mar 18, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,128 of 5,290
Mine has landed, very brief listen as have to work but sounds incredible! Love the almost matching carbon fibre to my M9!

20210318_120213.jpg

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #1,129 of 5,290
Just an observation... over 1100 posts in this thread but no discussion about “burn in” that I can recall. I imagine it’s because all of our W1/2’s are brand new.

It seems that the impressions by many of audio products is that after xxx hours of burn in they change subtly to sound “better.” This can also be perhaps a controversial topic, but I find it interesting in the case of the W2. Are you in the camp that your W2 will improve with many more hours of use?

Mar 18, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,130 of 5,290
Just an observation... over 1100 posts in this thread but no discussion about “burn in” that I can recall. I imagine it’s because all of our W1/2’s are brand new.

It seems that the impressions by many of audio products is that after xxx hours of burn in they change subtly to sound “better.” This can also be perhaps a controversial topic, but I find it interesting in the case of the W2. Are you in the camp that your W2 will improve with many more hours of use?

or maybe because people don't have patients to leave W1/2 playing in a loop for 4-5 days and want to enjoy listening to it out of the box :D

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #1,131 of 5,290
or maybe because people don't have patients to leave W1/2 playing in a loop for 4-5 days and want to enjoy listening to it out of the box :D
...or maybe because "burning in" components that have no moving parts has no effect whatsoever

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,132 of 5,290
...or maybe because "burning in" components that have no moving parts has no effect whatsoever

not taking the bait :D

*cough* capacitors *cough*

Mar 18, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #1,133 of 5,290
Speaking as an electrical engineer I will say that if an electronic device’s performance changes detectably after use, we often call that a “failure”. Not trying to engage in a debate, and not challenging anyone’s opinions or beliefs. Just stating how this is looked at in engineering.

Mar 18, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #1,135 of 5,290
Can someone post the firmware or provide a different link? The L&P website link requires you to have a Baidu account, which also requires a China cell phone number.
Check post #1 of this thread please.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #1,136 of 5,290

Or maybe it's yours ears that get used to the sound ?

If not , why don't we see frequency response graph before and after that so call " burn in " ?

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #1,138 of 5,290

If not , why don't we see frequency response graph before and after that so call " burn in " ?
Good point.
Whereas in all the DAP threats they are talking more about subtle changes like opening of the stage and mids etc.
Not sure in how far such subtle changes are showing up in a frequency measuring?
I have once asked the question in another thread why frequency response curves are mostly shared only for headphones and not DACs / DAPs
There are peq profiles for headphones in the web to approach Harman ideal for example but nothing to compensate e.g a too bright tuning of DAP.
For that u are supposed to connect a tube amp for example.
System wide peq is getting introduced in newer DAPs though like Hiby R8.
A friend sold me his BA300S tube amp as he is fine using R8 equ to adjust equ to his taste now.

Mar 18, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,139 of 5,290

Its just audiophoolery! "Burn in" is a sale technique from many years ago. If a customer f. ex bought a shoe that didnt quite fit and returned it, the seller would say that the shoes needed to "Burn in" or "Settle in". Then the customer went back home with the shoes, waiting for the shoe to be "burned in" while the warranty periode is expiring! Seller kept his money:)

Quite clever!

Mar 18, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #1,140 of 5,290
I'm no shoe expert but IC chips usually degrade with use. Before a chip is made it needs to pass certain temperature/rigidity/electrical tests before it's fit for production. You might consider that as a factory "burn-in". The only other "burn-in" is working at room temp levels.
Tubes, some capacitor types, leds and other "analogue" components on the other hand reach what is called a "working regime" after a certain period of stress which they "keep" until their EOL. If the W2 uses any of such components in its PCB then yes, a small difference can be heard past X hours (usually). Whatever the case, your brain is also playing a role in the sound perceived.

Back on topic. I'll get my W2 by end of month. I'm curious how it will pair with the LZ A7. We could ask L&P at what volume level and gain the W2 outputs a 2v (or close to) signal to be considered as "LO" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back