Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 12, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #811 of 5,299
I’ve been listening to the W2 all day [thanks MusicTeck] and trying out all the settings with my main IEMs and headphones: Sony IER-Z1R, MDR-Z1R, and MDR-1A.

If you have any of those and wanted to try some different settings, this is what sounds best to me:

IER-Z1R => Gain: HIGH; FLT: Fast; TUNE: 02
MDR-Z1R => Gain: HIGH; FLT: LL Fast; TUNE: 01
MDR-1A => Gain: LOW; FLT: Fast; TUNE: 02

[EQ: Normal, and balanced 4.4mm connector for all; tested on an iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 with included USB-C-to-USB-C cable]

I was trying to approximate the sound I’m used to when connected to my other portable and desktop setups. I didn’t just approximate it, the W2 exceeded my expectations. The W2 is the best sounding portable setup I have now (my other portable gear is iFi xDSD, Topping NX4 DSD, Monolith Portable THX, DF Cobalt, L P S1 (which I’ll still use for TIDAL MQA). The W2 was better sounding than all of them.

My desktop setup is a LUMIN U1 Mini->(USB)->RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and I have to do some PEQ to get the MDR-Z1Rs to sound right, but with the W2, setting the filter to “LL Fast” and TUNE to “01” made the MDR-Z1Rs sound almost as good as my EQ settings on the RME DAC: really impressive dongle! In fairness, the RME ADI-2 DAC provides deeper bass and sub-bass, and has a much wider soundstage; but the W2 is my #1 portable DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #812 of 5,299
I’ve been listening to the W2 all day [thanks MusicTeck] and trying out all the settings with my main IEMs and headphones: Sony IER-Z1R, MDR-Z1R, and MDR-1A.

If you have any of those and wanted to try some different settings, this is what sounds best to me:

[EQ: Normal, and balanced 4.4mm connector for all; tested on an iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 with included USB-C-to-USB-C cable]

I was trying to approximate the sound I’m used to when connected to my other portable and desktop setups. I didn’t just approximate it, the W2 exceeded my expectations. The W2 is the best sounding portable setup I have now (my other portable gear is iFi xDSD, Topping NX4 DSD, Monolith Portable THX, DF Cobalt, L P S1 (which I’ll still use for TIDAL MQA). The W2 was better sounding than all of them.

My desktop setup is a LUMIN U1 Mini->(USB)->RME ADI-2 DAC FS, and I have to do some PEQ to get the MDR-Z1Rs to sound right, but with the W2, setting the filter to “LL Fast” and TUNE to “01” made the MDR-Z1Rs sound almost as good as my EQ settings on the RME DAC: really impressive dongle! In fairness, the RME ADI-2 DAC provides deeper bass and sub-bass, and has a much wider soundstage; but the W2 is my #1 portable DAC.
You like the LP s1 more than the xdsd for tidal?

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #813 of 5,299
Haven't received my W2 yet (*should be here sometime later next week), though I already have somewhat of a negative impression on L&P as a company.

First, I was trying to join L&P discussion group but was denied because they will only accept those who already own their product (*which you apparently need to prove to them first), otherwise you are out of luck. This is highly unusual in China as online discussion groups are usually a very common place for customer and potential customer alike to hang around to share thought as well as ask questions, so almost every Chinese audio companies have one (or two) for people to join and leave freely. Yet L&P seems to decide they rather only want to run it as walled-in private club. As I have some question I want to ask before I get my W2 (*as the reason I wanted to join the discussion group in the first place), I also tried to contact their customer service person on a public Chinese forum. I know he is online when I sent him the PM, but he seems to choose to ignore me completely. That was two days ago and I can see he is still active in the forum, but just doesn't seem want to reply me, not even for courtesy. This is by far the most inert of all Chinese audio company that I have to communicate to, almost like they are not really that interested in doing business / providing service at all. I really don't see how a company like L&P is going to grow in the long term, regardless of how great their products are.
I have also sent them emails about stuff im wondering about. On two different emails. No reply at all. I usually get an answer within 24 hours. I was f. ex wondering about the dsd and PCM capabilities and more info about the presets that existing/are coming for different IEMs. Its weird that i cant find info from them on this before i buy!

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #814 of 5,299
You like the LP s1 more than the xdsd for tidal?
Yes, based on size alone. The sound quality is equal in my opinion. The xDSD has some advantages though, like Bluetooth, and an internal battery if connecting to a phone.

But I‘m getting away from using battery-powered USB DACs; I’m using DAPs more for truly portable outside-the-home use with wired phones (Sony ZX507 and FiiO M11 Pro), iPhone/Apple Watch for bluetooth with Airpods, and the iPad with USB DACs or dongles around the house and office as a transportable solution, so the xDSD advantages aren’t as important as limiting the clutter of what I connect to the iPad.

Don’t get me wrong, the xDSD is a great DAC (I preferred it over the iFi Micro iDSD BL, again based on size) and since I have efficient IEMs and cans, it powered everything great.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #815 of 5,299
Comparing between connect to desktop pc (not notebook) and typical mobile devices (iPad, iPhone, Samsung phone, etc.), Does W2 have noticeably better SQ?

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #817 of 5,299

Well that resolves one question I had around driving the IER Z1R....

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #818 of 5,299

And I was about to ask about the MDR-Z1R :wink: So the L&P has enough power to drive them properly? Can you try a movie on Netflix and tell me how it sounds? That's one of the full size closed headphones that I really want to try. Thank you.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #819 of 5,299
Well that resolves one question I had around driving the IER Z1R....
W2 drives them great, with room to spare. I listen to the IER-Z1R on a volume between 57-67 out of 100 (High gain) on the W2. I tried the MDR-Z1Rs more for fun than practical use on W2 since I really only use the MDR-Z1R cans on my main non-portable rig (RME ADI-2 DAC), but even they were powered with room to spare: I found 65-75 a good volume range in high gain for those cans on the W2.

The sound out of this dongle is so crisp and clean. Total black background. No EMI from the iPad on WiFi (haven’t tried when on cellular). But the bass was a little lacking on the MDR-Z1R; not so on the IER-Z1R or MDR-1A, which has perfect amounts of bass on this dongle.

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #820 of 5,299
And I was about to ask about the MDR-Z1R :wink: So the L&P has enough power to drive them properly? Can you try a movie on Netflix and tell me how it sounds? That's one of the full size closed headphones that I really want to try. Thank you.
MDR-Z1R (despite some well publicized negative reviews) is my favorite closed-back (really semi-closed) headphones. It does need some EQ in my opinion (or in the case of the W2, using the Tone - 01 and a filter of your choice [I liked LL Fast]). Easy to drive, but the bass and sound stage really benefits from more power. I really don’t use them with my portable gear since the IER-Z1Rs are so much better on that kit. But they are my primary desktop cans. And to answer your question about Netflix, I have my TV optical out going to the RME ADI-2 DAC driving the MDR-Z1Rs and it sounds great. I just tried Netflix on the iPad Pro -> W2 -> MDR-Z1R and really sounded good too. But then I put in the IER-Z1Rs and they sounded better on the W2 than the MDR-Z1Rs.

So for me: IER-Z1R for portable DAP/DAC use; MDR-Z1R for non-portable use.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #821 of 5,299
MDR-Z1R (despite some well publicized negative reviews) is my favorite closed-back (really semi-closed) headphones. It does need some EQ in my opinion (or in the case of the W2, using the Tone - 01 and a filter of your choice [I liked LL Fast]). Easy to drive, but the bass and sound stage really benefits from more power. I really don’t use them with my portable gear since the IER-Z1Rs are so much better on that kit. But they are my primary desktop cans. And to answer your question about Netflix, I have my TV optical out going to the RME ADI-2 DAC driving the MDR-Z1Rs and it sounds great. I just tried Netflix on the iPad Pro -> W2 -> MDR-Z1R and really sounded good too. But then I put in the IER-Z1Rs and they sounded better on the W2 than the MDR-Z1Rs.

So for me: IER-Z1R for portable DAP/DAC use; MDR-Z1R for non-portable use.
I second this for my Denons AH-D9100 Full Size Cans, great on my Andro Golds IEMs

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #823 of 5,299
Guys, my W2 arrived an hour ago, hooray.
First of all, the good news: no or negligible EMI at all (iPhone 12 Pro, wifi, cellular network), so twice hooray, I'm excited (with my iPhone, S1 and balanced 4.4 Penon cable it's a huge problem), buuuut ....
Second, the bad news: at higher volumes (approx. 70+ at HIGH, approx. 80+ at LOW) the music is interrupted (every second or shorter, it depends on volume). If I set a lower volume, everything is fine. It depends on the cable I connect to the iPhone, the stock W2 cable is the best of all 3 (the second is Penon USB-C to lightning (approx. 65+ on HIGH, approx. 72 + on LOW) and the third and worst is the Lotoo stock S1 cable (approx. 62 + on HIGH, approx. 67 + on LOW).
On my MacBook, everything seems to be fine, nothing what I described is happened.

Any ideas? Does anyone have the same problem?
Would anyone try it with iPhone?

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #824 of 5,299
First of all, the good news: no or negligible EMI at all (iPhone 12 Pro, wifi, cellular network), so twice hooray, I'm excited (with my iPhone, S1 and balanced 4.4 Penon cable it's a huge problem), buuuut ....
Second, the bad news: at higher volumes (approx. 70+ at HIGH, approx. 80+ at LOW) the music is interrupted (every second or shorter, it depends on volume). If I set a lower volume, everything is fine. It depends on the cable I connect to the iPhone, the stock W2 cable is the best of all 3 (the second is Penon USB-C to lightning (approx. 65+ on HIGH, approx. 72 + on LOW) and the third and worst is the Lotoo stock S1 cable (approx. 62 + on HIGH, approx. 67 + on LOW).
On my MacBook, everything seems to be fine, nothing what I described is happened.

Maybe power draw? I have not received mine yet but I wonder if at high volumes the W2 tries to draw too much power from some devices...

Mar 12, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #825 of 5,299

Iphone11Pro, volume 84 balanced, I cannot wear even my full sized headphone on Low Gain as it's too loud
Stock cable W2 and S1: no stuttering in Amazon Music HD, Spotify and Tidal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back