Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Oct 3, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #5,222 of 5,299
Oct 12, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #5,223 of 5,299
Just finished some measurement on my Go Bar 10 anv ed. The number is on its own really good but not quite as good as W2 (tested via E1DA Cosmos ADC + 32ohm load w/ RMAA and REW). Beyond measurement, Go Bar is rather different from W2 as far as sound signature goes. Where W2 has a very clean and neutral sound (and W2-131 to a slightly lesser extent), Go Bar has more of a classic iFi's sound signature that is on the richer and warmer tone. In fact, it has somewhat of an organic feel that I find on R-2R USB dongle like Cayin RU6, but better resolved. In short, I think my Go Bar makes for an excellent contrast to W2 sound signature wise with very fairly comparable performance
Could someone (maybe @ClieOS) please shed some more light on the comparison between ifi Go Bar and W2-131? In short, I am particularly interested which one of these has more laid back, relaxed and non-fatiguing sound? In other words, which one is better for long listening sessions without fatigue and without ear piercing on brighter headphones?
Thanks.

Oct 12, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #5,224 of 5,299
Could someone (maybe @ClieOS) please shed some more light on the comparison between ifi Go Bar and W2-131? In short, I am particularly interested which one of these has more laid back, relaxed and non-fatiguing sound? In other words, which one is better for long listening sessions without fatigue and without ear piercing on brighter headphones?
Thanks.
don't have the 131 but do have the OG W2 as well as go bar 10th anniversary ed. and the go bar is more relaxed in general where the W2 is more of technical and unforgiving. Neither fatigues me, I pair them with different gears

Oct 12, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #5,225 of 5,299
Thanks...
In that case it seems W2 is not for me (unforgiving DAC + unforgiving headphones = bleeding ears 🦻)
I am having a lot of difficulties to find some DAC (either dongle or desktop DAC) which will sound like A&K SR35 DAP - spacious and mellow. I thought W2 might be close but as I read further it seems not...
This thread discouraged me also for ifi Gold Bar. With the price of 500 eur, ifi Gold Bar should be at least close to SR35 (I got A&K SR35 for approx. 700 eur but it is a DAP - much more than just a dongle!). It seems a lot of HYPE is circling around the dongles, building up prices, and that almost tricked me in believing those could sound mature.
Can someone recommend some desktop DAC which will give this laid back, non-aggressive, organic mellow sound (let's say up to 600 eur)? I do not need amp - already have one (Heed CanAmp paired with K712Pro).
Thanks.

Oct 12, 2023 at 9:33 PM Post #5,226 of 5,299
Thanks.
Just between W2-131 and Go Bar, I'll say Go Bar probably fits the description better. Never listened to SR35 before so I can't comment on how they compare to it. But as a general rule of thumb, iFi does tend to tune their gear for the more analog, relaxing sound as that's the signature sound they wanted. Another possible USB dongle that fits the description will be Cayin RU7, set to DSD256 decoding.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #5,227 of 5,299
Thanks @ClieOS
I do not understand how to interpret high prices of these dongles? I mean, does ifi Go Bar costs more than Zen DAC v2 (almost as twice as much) just because it is a dongle, so some (more or less) ''quality'' sound is packed in a very small package convenient to carry along the phone, or it really sounds better?

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #5,228 of 5,299
Thanks @ClieOS
I do not understand how to interpret high prices of these dongles? I mean, does ifi Go Bar costs more than Zen DAC v2 (almost as twice as much) just because it is a dongle, so some (more or less) ''quality'' sound is packed in a very small package convenient to carry along the phone, or it really sounds better?
You can inquiry their rep in iFi thread, this is L&P.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-go-bar-the-best-pocketable-hifi-system-bar-none.963466/

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #5,229 of 5,299
Thanks @ClieOS

If you want to be more sensible about spending on USB dongle, keep it around US$100~150 or so. Anything beyond just gonna be worse on diminishing return. At some point, you are paying more for miniaturization, branding and/or perhaps higher performance - but not necessarily better value.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #5,230 of 5,299
If you want to be more sensible about spending on USB dongle, keep it around US$100~150 or so. Anything beyond just gonna be worse on diminishing return. At some point, you are paying more for miniaturization, branding and/or perhaps higher performance - but not necessarily better value.
Thanks a lot, you answered my question!

Oct 13, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #5,231 of 5,299
Thanks @ClieOS
lol I was wondering the same, I wanted to try the iFi Go Bar. But then I look at the price and I'm like maybe I'll spend that money on a desktop unit.......

The pricing on dongles definitely has gotten a bit ridiculous. And I only listen at my desk so I don't really "need" the small form factor.

Oct 13, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #5,232 of 5,299
The same for me...I don't really need a dongle but desktop DAC but when I start looking around for it I immediately stumble upon so many dongle reviews claiming high quality sound. I was confused...On one hand people are still 'torturing' themselves by changing the tubes in their tube DAC/Amps in order to have some musicality out of their equipment and on the other hand a huge number of reviews are claiming 'analogue/organic/tube-like' sound out of a dongle!

Oct 13, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #5,233 of 5,299
The same for me...I don't really need a dongle but desktop DAC but when I start looking around for it I immediately stumble upon so many dongle reviews claiming high quality sound. I was confused...On one hand people are still 'torturing' themselves by changing the tubes in their tube DAC/Amps in order to have some musicality out of their equipment and on the other hand a huge number of reviews are claiming 'analogue/organic/tube-like' sound out of a dongle!
Yupe that's me, I'm definitely torturing myself by using a tube amp LOL.

The goal is to hopefully one day find a solid state device that has the tube sound. Currently eyeing the iDSD Signature (blue one), but I don't like it uses battery....... need a more permanent solution.....

Does the Go Bar has the tube-like sound?

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #5,234 of 5,299
Check this thread about tube sounding dongle DAC. It seems there is no such thing (but aggressive marketing could state anything 🤑).
Actually I was searching for something like that (sweet laid back sound) and that brought me from ifi Go Bar here to L&P W2. Here I found out that ifi Go Bar fits description better, so that put me back on ifi Go Bar track...Then RU7 appeared...madness
It seems to me I will need to acquire some 💡 as well 😂

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #5,235 of 5,299
Check this thread about tube sounding dongle DAC. It seems there is no such thing (but aggressive marketing could state anything 🤑).
Actually I was searching for something like that (sweet laid back sound) and that brought me from ifi Go Bar here to L&P W2. Here I found out that ifi Go Bar fits description better, so that put me back on ifi Go Bar track...Then RU7 appeared...madness
It seems to me I will need to acquire some 💡 as well 😂
Ops I just realized we're still in the W2 thread. Maybe we should take the topic to the dongle thread instead.

Otherwise I did tried the W2 and W2-131. I do think W2 sounded good but I don't think it sounds very tubey. Haven't tried the iFi Go Bar yet.

Tried RU6 but I think it has some treble and bass roll off. From my quick read there's also FC6 and RU7 now, but RU7 is said to be less R2R sounding than RU6, thought more technically capable. Maybe look into Hiby FC6?

Or look tube dongle: https://wooaudio.com/amplifiers/tube-mini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back