Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Jun 5, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #2,896 of 5,293
Quick question: while comparing W2 and S1 I need to set volume 5-7 points higher on W2 than on S1 for level matching despite higher output power on the former, is it OK?

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #2,897 of 5,293
Quick question: while comparing W2 and S1 I need to set volume 5-7 points higher on W2 than on S1 for level matching despite higher output power on the former, is it OK?
Gain level the same?
Is S1 volume also in %?

Jun 5, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #2,898 of 5,293
Jun 5, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,899 of 5,293
Yes and yes
Which OS / App?
Besides that I can imagine that the volume implementation is different between the vendors models and % is not equal to % in each case...
Another thing is to see if digital volume is the same in both cases, can happen that one implementation leads to playing bit perfect in that specific case and thus no change of digital volume is even applied

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #2,900 of 5,293
Which OS / App?
Besides that I can imagine that the volume implementation is different between the vendors models and % is not equal to % in each case...
Another thing is to see if digital volume is the same in both cases, can happen that one implementation leads to playing bit perfect in that specific case and thus no change of digital volume is even applied
Android + UAPP in bit-perfect mode for both, HID disabled on W2 so Android volume level does not interfere.

BTW, while "brain burn-in" is definitely needed in this case as sound signatures of these differ a lot, getting rid of excessive S1 EMI on W2 is worth upgrade.

Initial impressions: W2 is much more detailed though more "distant" and analytical delivering music as a set individual pieces/layers while S1 is more veiled and smooth but more cohesive at the same time, delivering music as a solid message.

It's too early to make any conclusions anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #2,901 of 5,293
Android + UAPP in bit-perfect mode for both, HID disabled on W2 so Android volume level does not interfere.

BTW, while "brain burn-in" is definitely needed in this case as sound signatures of these differ a lot, getting rid of excessive S1 EMI on W2 is worth upgrade.

Initial impressions: W2 is much more detailed though more "distant" and analytical delivering music as a set individual pieces/layers while S1 is more veiled and smooth but more cohesive at the same time, delivering music as a solid message.

It's too early to make any conclusions anyway.
Almost 1:1 my impression too once I switched in spring this year

Jun 5, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,902 of 5,293
Almost 1:1 my impression too once I switched in spring this year
I'll visit a local store once again to compare it with DX300 and M8 once my brain becomes more accustomed with W2 sound: maybe my opinion on M8 vs DX300 will change then.

Jun 5, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,903 of 5,293
I'll visit a local store once again to compare it with DX300 and M8 once my brain becomes more accustomed with W2 sound: maybe my opinion on M8 vs DX300 will change then.
Still thinking synergy is everything, curious on your impressions.
Edit: also very important are personal preferences and mental condition like wanting to relax at night or being in engaging mood.
For me that applies especially to upper mid emphasis which I can tolerate sometimes more, sometimes less.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #2,904 of 5,293
Still thinking synergy is everything, curious on your impressions.
Edit: also very important are personal preferences and mental condition like wanting to relax at night or being in engaging mood.
For me that applies especially to upper mid emphasis which I can tolerate sometimes more, sometimes less.
That's exactly the reason why I don't want to make any conclusions and bold moves before my beloved 3DT gets back from UM repair.

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #2,905 of 5,293
That's exactly the reason why I don't want to make any conclusions and bold moves before my beloved 3DT gets back from UM repair.
I know @szore loves 3dt with M8 for the musical presentation as I love M8 with Elysium for the same reason.
W2 excels for me for in your face engaging signature when in the mood.
Can of course also be a matter of personal taste again - just had longer discussions about that in Traillii thread yesterday, am jumping back and forth between M8 and W2 for different situations

Jun 5, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #2,906 of 5,293
I know @szore loves 3dt with M8 for the musical presentation as I love M8 with Elysium for the same reason.
W2 excels for me for in your face engaging signature when in the mood.
Can of course also be a matter of personal taste again - just had longer discussions about that in Traillii thread yesterday, am jumping back and forth between M8 and W2 for different situations
It also depends a lot on music genre and listening habits actually. You see, I enjoy wide (and weird) range of music and most of the time just listen to my 1500+ "favourite tracks" playlist on Tidal in shuffle mode waiting for "gotcha" feeling on something when it clicks with my current mood and then turning on that track radio.
So it may well be e.g Led Zeppelin followed by Eminem followed by Norah Jones and then The Offspring, Lana Del Rey, Niels Frahm and NOFX.

Needless to say, some of these (e.g. Eminem) are better handled with S1 and others (e.g. Norah Jones or Niels Frahm) with W2, so things got even more complicated now.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #2,907 of 5,293
It also depends a lot on music genre and listening habits actually. You see, I enjoy wide (and weird) range of music and most of the time just listen to my 1500+ "favourite tracks" playlist on Tidal in shuffle mode waiting for "gotcha" feeling on something when it clicks with my current mood and then turning on that track radio.
So it may well be e.g Led Zeppelin followed by Eminem followed by Norah Jones and then The Offspring, Lana Del Rey, Niels Frahm and NOFX.

Needless to say, some of these (e.g. Eminem) are better handled with S1 and others (e.g. Norah Jones or Niels Frahm) with W2, so things got even more complicated now.
I know what you mean
Actually it's very similar with me.
I am helping myself using the same source (currently M8) and either connecting IEMs to M8 or to W2 hooked onto M8

Jun 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,908 of 5,293
I know what you mean
Actually it's very similar with me.
I am helping myself using the same source (currently M8) and either connecting IEMs to M8 or to W2 hooked onto M8
Yeah, so that might be the core reason I preferred DX300 to M8 last time: it might not be the best possible one for any single genre/track but does a really nice job trying to be a "jack of all trades" and providing very pleasant detailed yet coherent sound to all of them.
Just one example: I'm listening to Carnage - Slot Machine right now, and powerfully distorted section at 1:45 is just way too much "into your face" on W2 while the rest of the track sounds just blissful on W2 leaving S1 laying in the dust.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,909 of 5,293
Yeah, so that might be the core reason I preferred DX300 to M8 last time: it might not be the best possible one for any single genre/track but does a really nice job trying to be a "jack of all trades" and providing very pleasant sound to all of them.
Just one example: I'm listening to Carnage - Slot Machine right now, and powerfully distorted section at 1:45 is just way too much "into your face" on W2 while the rest of the track sounds just blissful on W2 leaving S1 laying in the dust.
Will try that track later on M8 and let know.
I think you are right with your assumption of DX300 and Jack of all trades at least with this selection of DAPs,there are many more on the market though like Hiby, FIIO and Cayin.
One thing I can tell you that for 90% Metal and Rock I prefer M8 for the very reason you just mentioned.
For like 60% Pop, RnB, EDM and stuff like Eminem it can be W2.
For Jazz and classical music it depends.
Talking about Traillii pairing here but I remember my usage profile was quite similar with my former MEST MKII.
With Elysium it's 100% M8 but also selected genres with focus on mids

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #2,910 of 5,293
Will try that track later on M8 and let know.
I think you are right with your assumption of DX300 and Jack of all trades at least with this selection of DAPs,there are many more on the market though like Hiby, FIIO and Cayin.
One thing I can tell you that for 90% Metal and Rock I prefer M8 for the very reason you just mentioned.
For like 60% Pop, RnB, EDM and stuff like Eminem it can be W2.
For Jazz and classical music it depends.
Talking about Traillii pairing here but I remember my usage profile was quite similar with my former MEST MKII.
With Elysium it's 100% M8 but also selected genres with focus on mids
I'll spend more time with it and definitely wait until 3DT comes back for a final decision but after a full day (and night) spent on extensive A/B testing I actually started thinking of selling both dongles and buying a decent $1k+ DAP instead as I'm not 100% happy with either sound signature currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back