Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 12, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #2,446 of 5,290
I'm asking W2 users. Which setting do you listen to, low gain or high gain?
Rule of thumb is to always go low gain unless you need the volume to go above 80~90. That's when distortion kicks in, then choose high gain.

May 12, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,447 of 5,290
Rule of thumb is to always go low gain unless you need the volume to go above 80~90. That's when distortion kicks in, then choose high gain.
Apparently (I heard) it’s not just about volume, and that gain also affects the dynamics of the sound.
Would be interested to hear what you guys think.

May 12, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #2,448 of 5,290
Apparently (I heard) it’s not just about volume, and that gain also affects the dynamics of the sound.
Would be interested to hear what you guys think.
Besides distortion, higher gain also introduces higher impedance, so it may change the FR of certain headphones.
See here for Amir from ASR's take: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phone-amp-gains-low-or-high.5495/#post-122240
Gain is basically a volume multiplier. If you think that louder=more dynamics, then sure go for higher gain.

May 13, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #2,449 of 5,290
Besides distortion, higher gain also introduces higher impedance, so it may change the FR of certain headphones.
See here for Amir from ASR's take: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...phone-amp-gains-low-or-high.5495/#post-122240
Gain is basically a volume multiplier. If you think that louder=more dynamics, then sure go for higher gain.
That's not true for all implementations.
I can certainly hear a difference volume matched on M8 but of course my impression could be biased

May 13, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #2,450 of 5,290
That's not true for all implementations.
I can certainly hear a difference volume matched on M8 but of course my impression could be biased
That doesn’t conflict with my point that the difference is due to the changed output impedance and distortion.

May 13, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #2,451 of 5,290
Got mine today and I can easily (for me) say it's better than S1 and Sparrow. To me it outclasses the S1 on pretty much everything (no eq) and sounds more precise and less digital more organic/natural than Sparrow. In fact it's better than most daps I've tried in pure sound quality. It's not going to drive full size headphones as well as a powerful dap but, I'm a iem guy anyways because I can't tolerate headphones on my ears.

Sound impressions- very full sounding a touch of analog but very precise and detailed. Very natural sounding tonality. A nice 3d ish stage presentation with excellent imaging. Mids are really lush and defined but nothing is lacking. I'm really impressed. It's a very high end sounding device.
Warmish neutral maybe. Hard to accurately describe and you probably have different iems than I do. But I'm loving what I hear.

The settings are just the same as out of the box. High gain, tone 2, fast roll off volume around 59. I've used ie800, hiby beans, akt8ieii, and meze classics 99. All sound great, so far with every genre. Tia's will be back soon to try, and I've got rose mini pro 3's coming- I like small iems. Oh, btw it even worked great with tiny fiio m5 ha ha :) of course I'm sure it will kill battery on that tiny thing fast.
PXL_20210512_193051657.jpgPXL_20210512_201726361.jpg

Also build quality is excellent and even the included cable fits tight!
I have the DX160, Sparrow and S1 and I agree with most of what you said about W2 sound signature/quality. I have just received W2 and hope to do more extensive listening. First impressions are...impressive!

May 13, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #2,452 of 5,290
The $600 high end sound😊🎶🔊💵

Attachments

• 20210513_121322.jpg
    20210513_121322.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 13, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #2,453 of 5,290
The $600 high end sound😊🎶🔊💵
Did you have a chance to compare 3DT on W2 and S1? I also bought 3DT recently and like its pairing with S1, quite interested into how the sound signature changes with W2

May 13, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #2,454 of 5,290
Did you have a chance to compare 3DT on W2 and S1? I also bought 3DT recently and like its pairing with S1, quite interested into how the sound signature changes with W2
Will do, thanks👍👍🍻

May 13, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,456 of 5,290
W2 incoming, know it's been touched upon earlier in these 164 pages, but does anyone have a breakdown of the difference, if any, between the 3.5mm vs 4.4mm output when it comes to SQ? I don't own any 4.4mm cables for my IEMs and I'm hoping 3.5mm sounds just as good as 4.4mm in cases where you don't need the extra power, like with a pair of andromeda.

May 13, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,457 of 5,290
W2 incoming, know it's been touched upon earlier in these 164 pages, but does anyone have a breakdown of the difference, if any, between the 3.5mm vs 4.4mm output when it comes to SQ? I don't own any 4.4mm cables for my IEMs and I'm hoping 3.5mm sounds just as good as 4.4mm in cases where you don't need the extra power, like with a pair of andromeda.
I have tested both outputs. With the Dunu ZEN, I like the 4.4mm HO a bit better, more slam and pleasure overall. With 3BA sensitive IEMs, the 3.5mm is the best option, as the extra power from the 4.4mm is not mandatory and the analog/warmish sound from the W2 (tune 2, Slow filter) does wonder with reference sounding earphones. I use both outputs and in both cases I am rewarded with fantastic sound. No need to buy 4.4mm cable to get satisfaction from your IEMs out of the W2 I would say.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #2,458 of 5,290
I have tested both outputs. With the Dunu ZEN, I like the 4.4mm HO a bit better, more slam and pleasure overall. With 3BA sensitive IEMs, the 3.5mm is the best option, as the extra power from the 4.4mm is not mandatory and the analog/warmish sound from the W2 (tune 2, Slow filter) does wonder with reference sounding earphones. I use both outputs and in both cases I am rewarded with fantastic sound. No need to buy 4.4mm cable to get satisfaction from your IEMs out of the W2 I would say.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was hoping.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,460 of 5,290
Jumped on to give my early impression on the W2 and iphone mini. Since I didn't Have a cable for the lotoo paw S1 going briefly touch on my thoughts about the S1 on this post.
In all fairness I spent time listen to both and going give my personally thoughts on them. Please note this is coming from average consumer and someone upgrading from iphone 6 and fiio E11 amp.

First off I tried the lotoo paw S1 and listened to music I enjoyed enjoyed since the70`s. First up was pink Foyld wish you were here. One of my favorite albums and have listened to it 100's of times.

Was really inpressed by the S1 and heard details I only have heard from my home system. Was really surprised to hear such great sound out of the phone pfe232. In all honesty I would have been happy with this little guy. If it wasn't for lotoo cheaping out and not including a iphone cable I wouldn't have been back to to this site in search of additional info.

Ok enough rambling I'll get to the W2 now. After listen to S1 I fired up the W2 with same music I just heard. Let's just say it didn't take me long to decide. Too my ears I enjoyed the the W2 much more. Once I added in the HID key function it was no contest. Personally the more I thought about it would have drove me nuts not to be able change volume by the Apple watch.

I know part of it is my fault I shoulda have researched more. After spending the money on iphone 12 was trying save a couple bucks. Amazon had both unit and was it was 329 for the W2 vs 169 for S1. The S1 was bundled with a ferquently both together S1 and cable. You think if there sold together they work together.

Hopefully this post saves another iphone user some disappointment. Buying the W2 from musicteck in the end left me much happier.

It much closer btw them with a android device value wise. On iphone it came down to S1 plus the lighting cable that I ended up paying $220 vs the $299 i spent at musicteck. Toss in ability to control volume and better sound I'm happier I went with the W2. Good thing amazon offers free returns.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back