Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 7, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #2,341 of 5,299
Impressions:
  • The W2 has the blackest background of all portable devices I've tried. The worst enemy of an IEM for me is hiss, drives me nuts. The W2 is stellar here, no hiss or white noise whatsoever.
  • I have used a well-regarded USB DAC dongle (who shall remain nameless) with an IEM with the same UAPP setup, and out of nowhere there was a loud screeching noise, and my ear rang for the rest of the night. I never used that dongle again. No such issue so far with the W2.
  • SQ is great for a portable device. I don't think I can detect an obvious ceiling or wall (at least for pop music), when the "air" surrounding the music is noticeably gone (which happens when the music gets complex). This isn't a desktop-class analytical device, but it gets the job done when I am moving about.
  • I prefer Tune 01 since I like vocals to stand out. I use Tune 02 when I want it to blend with the rest of the music and to lay back and enjoy.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #2,342 of 5,299
Impressions:
  • The W2 has the blackest background of all portable devices I've tried. The worst enemy of an IEM for me is hiss, drives me nuts. The W2 is stellar here, no hiss or white noise whatsoever.
  • I have used a well-regarded USB DAC dongle (who shall remain nameless) with an IEM with the same UAPP setup, and out of nowhere there was a loud screeching noise, and my ear rang for the rest of the night. I never used that dongle again. No such issue so far with the W2.
  • SQ is great for a portable device. I don't think I can detect an obvious ceiling or wall, when the "air" surrounding the music is noticeably gone (which happens when the music gets complex). This isn't a desktop-class analytical device, but it gets the job done when I am moving about.
  • I prefer Tune 01 since I like vocals to stand out. I use Tune 02 when I want it to blend with the rest of the music and to lay back and enjoy.
Hmm the only dongle to give me ear and mental trauma for iems was the e1da dongle lol

Hmm, which desktop class device do you think is better than w2 for iems? I thought desktop class stuff normally hisses with iems

May 7, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,343 of 5,299
Hmm the only dongle to give me ear and mental trauma for iems was the e1da dongle lol

Hmm, which desktop class device do you think is better than w2 for iems? I thought desktop class stuff normally hisses with iems
I use a desktop system for iems with zero hiss even when I had Odin

Pontus 2 dac with an iris ddc and a schiit lyr 3 hybrid amp

I concur with W2 being the best dongle right now

May 7, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #2,344 of 5,299
@eloelo
that sounds familiar :smirk:

Many desktop DAC/amps have outputs catering to IEMs nowadays, like the RME ADI-2 has a separate 3.5mm output stuck in low gain mode for IEMs. I think even my old Benchmark has a black background though I haven't used that setup in a while. They usually advertise it as having close to 0 ohm for IEM use.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #2,345 of 5,299
I've had 3 desktop setups:
Topping DX3 Pro V2 > Never had a chance to try it with sensitive iems and I ended up returning it when I sold my first u12t due to the high OI.
Topping E30 + THX 789 > Hissed like hell with sensitive iems, tested with Andro 2020
RME ADI2 > Dead silent
Many desktop DAC/amps have outputs catering to IEMs nowadays, like the RME ADI-2 has a separate 3.5mm output stuck in low gain mode for IEMs. I think even my old Benchmark has a black background though I haven't used that setup in a while. They usually advertise it as having close to 0 ohm for IEM use.
For me the RME was the first and only one I've heard that had a dedicated iem output. I don't recall anything that I considered before I got my second one.

W2 is dead silent on the Odin which makes me incredibly happy. Hiss has always been an issue for me with sensitive iems and sources. Have to try with Zeus and Andro to confirm, but if it passes that.

May 7, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #2,347 of 5,299
For those of you with hiss sensitive IEM, there is something called the iFi IEMatch / EarBuddy.

Not that you need it for the W1/W2.

May 7, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,348 of 5,299
For those of you with hiss sensitive IEM, there is something called the iFi IEMatch / EarBuddy.

Not that you need it for the W1/W2.
Nice call! The W2 honestly blows me away.

The value is INCREDIBLE!

May 7, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,350 of 5,299
How does w2 compare to desktop dacs around the same price (or maybe up to twice the price) soundwise? I was thinking of using w2 as desktop usb dac. Those desktop ones recommended above are too pricey and I might not have the desk space for them lol. I thought that iems do not need much power so alot of these desktop ones don't provide much benefit over dongles for iems

May 8, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #2,351 of 5,299
How does w2 compare to desktop dacs around the same price (or maybe up to twice the price) soundwise? I was thinking of using w2 as desktop usb dac. Those desktop ones recommended above are too pricey and I might not have the desk space for them lol. I thought that iems do not need much power so alot of these desktop ones don't provide much benefit over dongles for iems
It'a incredible value for sure but it still isn't a replacement for a solid DAP or Desktop setup. I find it in the vicinity of my 1A and a bit out of the vicinity of the RME.

May 8, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #2,352 of 5,299
It'a incredible value for sure but it still isn't a replacement for a solid DAP or Desktop setup. I find it in the vicinity of my 1A and a bit out of the vicinity of the RME.
Thanks for your reply and all the ones above! I guess a desktop setup will always be on my mind now XD. Lemme check out this RME (ADI2 right?)

May 8, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #2,353 of 5,299
They say the S1 is similar to the W1. I had S1 and was great, but the W2 is simply the best dongle at the moment.
This has been one of the main motifs that made me sell the S1 at the time :)

May 8, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #2,354 of 5,299
My main use case for the W2 is via my Mac and either at my kitchen table or desk - when the world starts to open up again, it will travel with me too! I love with this Sunguy cable that the right angle input to the Mac allows me to then position the W2 to the front of my Mac, a better position for IEM connectivity in particular but I guess any shorter cables.

Listening to the DUNU SA6 at the moment and they sound fantastic.

I like that cable but can't find it on Amazon US :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back