Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Apr 3, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,726 of 5,294
I listen to E1DA at maximum volume without interruption. so yes, this is an L&P problem. I hope it will be possible to fix it in future updates. Yes, I need a headroom, I often listen loudly and I have headphones with high impedance.
@twister6 have you read that? As E1DA is told to draw even more power it indeed doesn't sound like a general IOS limitation?

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,727 of 5,294
@twister6 have you read that? As E1DA is told to draw even more power it indeed doesn't sound like a general IOS limitation?

How much current does E1DA draws from the phone? Is there a link somewhere? iPhone limitation is by design, Apple doesn't want external peripheral devices to drain the phone battery. Even in L&P P6 Pro dap under setting you have USB Power Supply option to use either USB Power Supply or Self Power Supply (using own battery) when connecting to devices that limit the current draw. W2 doesn't have its own battery, of course. And with W2 when you go up in volume to over 80 and higher the current draw can spike even to 140-160mA. But then, I don't know who would listen to their IEMs that loud.

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,729 of 5,294
How much current does E1DA draws from the phone? Is there a link somewhere? iPhone limitation is by design, Apple doesn't want external peripheral devices to drain the phone battery. Even in L&P P6 Pro dap under setting you have USB Power Supply option to use either USB Power Supply or Self Power Supply (using own battery) when connecting to devices that limit the current draw. W2 doesn't have its own battery, of course. And with W2 when you go up in volume to over 80 and higher the current draw can spike even to 140-160mA. But then, I don't know who would listen to their IEMs that loud.
@ClieOS can you please confirm your source?
Actually I referred to this post from you where you are saying W2 is 2nd for its voltage hunger...
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...le-update-info-on-post-1.949448/post-16243900

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #1,730 of 5,294
Yes, LG is probably out, and I was also surprised the Onkyo is about to fold as well.

Regarding Android phones, it will depend on the app you are using. If I'm not mistaken, apps like HibyMusic, Neutron, and UAPP use their own drivers to bypass the sampling rate limitations of Android OS.

Seems like there is space for a company like Hiby to release an Android device with the latest hardware that has no DAC but uses its Android-circumventing system and has system-wide parametric EQ that works with external DACs. Huge battery, wireless charging. That would be my ideal transport device, but unfortunately it doesn’t exist. iPhones with jailbreaking actually come close but the EQE tweak I tried is unstable and a battery/RAM hog.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #1,731 of 5,294
Seems like there is space for a company like Hiby to release an Android device with the latest hardware that has no DAC but uses its Android-circumventing system and has system-wide parametric EQ that works with external DACs. Huge battery, wireless charging. That would be my ideal transport device, but unfortunately it doesn’t exist. iPhones with jailbreaking actually come close but the EQE tweak I tried is unstable and a battery/RAM hog.
Actually I don't believe they will do that as this could torpedo their own DAP sales.
But this system wide eq is really special
A headfi friend sold me his BA300S as he is fine with his R8 and system wide tweaking options which go further than just some PEQ settings...
Not sure if they can be applied though playing bit perfect MQA for example.

Apr 3, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,732 of 5,294
Actually I don't believe they will do that as this could torpedo their own DAP sales.
But this system wide eq is really special
A headfi friend sold me his BA300S as he is fine with his R8 and system wide tweaking options which go further than just some PEQ settings...
Not sure if they can be applied though playing bit perfect MQA for example.
You are right, they are not likely to release such a device. Just wishful thinking... Unfortunately their MSEB system works only for the internal DAC, at least on my R5.

It does not work on MQA files as they must remain untouched. I think only Roon can modify them and still call them MQA.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #1,733 of 5,294
Apr 3, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,734 of 5,294
Measured them all with an USB volt/current meter myself, with the same load under the same condition - under Android only. I am not an Apple user.
Thx for replying.
@twister do you think the dongles draw different current from IOS phones than Android phones?
If no here's your reference...

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #1,735 of 5,294
Folks, any news regarding W2 availability?
Hifigo team told me previously that it had been expected to become available this week but later was delayed again :frowning2:

Apr 3, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #1,738 of 5,294
I've been attacked by gremlins!!

Suddenly my iPhone stopped recognizing certain dongles. My ddhifi TC28i to the W2. The W2's lights come on but no audio and doesn't show on the iPhone. Same with my iBasso DC1. I thought it was the ddhifi adapter, but my blucoil aqua also doesn't show up either. The aqua has never had a problem before.

The only thing that connects is my W2 with the lightning cable. But of course, that is highly sporadic (don't breathe!!).

I suspect my recent upgrade to iOS 14.4.2 has been monkeying about where it doesn't belong. Anyone else who has upgrade to 14.4.2 had any problems???

thanks!

Apr 3, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,739 of 5,294
Yes, LG is probably out, and I was also surprised the Onkyo is about to fold as well.

Regarding Android phones, it will depend on the app you are using. If I'm not mistaken, apps like HibyMusic, Neutron, and UAPP use their own drivers to bypass the sampling rate limitations of Android OS.
I've been testing with some spare Android phones and they work well. I turn off Wi-fi and Bluetooth and just load the phone with high-resolution files played through Hiby app.

Apr 4, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #1,740 of 5,294
Andrew (Musicteck) wrote me this:
As far as we tested, there is no issues with W1 since it only draws 90mA, but W2 draws 110-120mA and iPhone has a limitation of 100mA to support external devices. So, when using W2 with iPhone 11 or 12 and W2 volume is over 70, it draws more current than iPhone allows and volume gets choppy and cuts off, even with that white cable. We suggest you set your iPhone to max volume, set W2 gain high and lower W2 volume below 70. That is when there are no issues with iPhone. Android phones and windows laptops don't have this issue. Only iPhones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back