Luxman P-750u headphone amp
May 1, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #136 of 180
I recently got the 750 coming from a trafomatic and an Atom EH, I had the spl phonitor (version without dac) at home for a month and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it was the most disappointing device I've ever had. Aesthetically fascinating I admit it, but the sound was flat, closed I do not recommend it the luxman p-750u is another planet 🙂

May 1, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #137 of 180
I recently got the 750 coming from a trafomatic and an Atom EH, I had the spl phonitor (version without dac) at home for a month and I can tell you with absolute certainty that it was the most disappointing device I've ever had. Aesthetically fascinating I admit it, but the sound was flat, closed I do not recommend it the luxman p-750u is another planet 🙂
what DAC & headphones used with phonitor?

May 1, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #138 of 180
at that time I had the Topping A90 and the Matrix Mlement M (so very detailed sources) then the HD800S and the Focal Clear MG

20210318_173754.jpg

20210409_165319.jpg

Jun 16, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #140 of 180
Hi there,

i have to choose between Luxman P750u Mark 2 and Mass kobo 433 as i can get either with same cost, i am leaning towards Luxman. Pls advise….
Luxman is a better and more sophisticated product in every way..
I actually liked Mass Kobo sound, very transparent and sweet. I tried various models at different show throughout the years, but every time I heard the price I have to turn away, it is always at least 3-fold of what I think should worth.
Though I didn't heard the Model 433 in particular, you really cannot go wrong with the P750u mk2.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #141 of 180
How did you like the Transformatic? I can’t find a place to audition one in the NYC area.

Jun 17, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #142 of 180
How did you like the Transformatic? I can’t find a place to audition one in the NYC area.
Since you're asking, I can tell you that the trafo is as extraordinary a machine as the luxman (the latter aesthetically and of superior manufacturing). The sound is somewhat similar (it is a peculiarity of the Luxman sound that it resembles a tube).

Jun 17, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #143 of 180
Since you're asking, I can tell you that the trafo is as extraordinary a machine as the luxman (the latter aesthetically and of superior manufacturing). The sound is somewhat similar (it is a peculiarity of the Luxman sound that it resembles a tube).
I wonder which one is most holographic having most spacial, open, deep, wide, and high sound stage?

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #144 of 180
I've been eyeing this amplifier for a while, i assume this is better than the older P1u? I didn't have any hard to drive planars so power is not my concern

Luxman is a better and more sophisticated product in every way..
I actually liked Mass Kobo sound, very transparent and sweet. I tried various models at different show throughout the years, but every time I heard the price I have to turn away, it is always at least 3-fold of what I think should worth.
Though I didn't heard the Model 433 in particular, you really cannot go wrong with the P750u mk2.
Which Mass-kobo that you tried? i always like the 394 sound but this P750u seems to be interesting

Jun 20, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #145 of 180
I've been eyeing this amplifier for a while, i assume this is better than the older P1u? I didn't have any hard to drive planars so power is not my concern

Which Mass-kobo that you tried? i always like the 394 sound but this P750u seems to be interesting
the P750u mk2 is definitely an upgrade from the P1u, and you can tell even using an IEM. More transparent across the spectrum, instead of just mid/mid-high focused like the P1u; much better imaging; and at the same time it retains the warm Luxman house sound(the P700u/P750u mk1 sounds more flat)

Looking at Mass-Kobo website, it looks like I have tried everything but the 433 and 465, I am sure I tried something not listed on their website as well. I have seen something that look different to all of them. I cannot remember those model number and the price is too-high so I never pay attention. With the low yen maybe it makes a little more sense now, but it also make the Luxman an even better deal.

Jun 20, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #146 of 180
the P750u mk2 is definitely an upgrade from the P1u, and you can tell even using an IEM. More transparent across the spectrum, instead of just mid/mid-high focused like the P1u; much better imaging; and at the same time it retains the warm Luxman house sound(the P700u/P750u mk1 sounds more flat)

Looking at Mass-Kobo website, it looks like I have tried everything but the 433 and 465, I am sure I tried something not listed on their website as well. I have seen something that look different to all of them. I cannot remember those model number and the price is too-high so I never pay attention. With the low yen maybe it makes a little more sense now, but it also make the Luxman an even better deal.
I see, thanks for the short impression. How about the P700u vs P750u mk1, are there significant difference between those two?

Jun 21, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #147 of 180
I see, thanks for the short impression. How about the P700u vs P750u mk1, are there significant difference between those two?
P700u is the flattest sound one, so it terms of "warmth" or the level of "Luxman flavor"
P1u>P750u mk2>P750u>>P700u
I didn't like the P700u very much, because for a neutral sound I'd go for a GS-X any day. I strongly recommend a mk2 if you currently own a P1u.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #148 of 180

Listening to Cory Wong on my p1u right now and it sounds awesome. The Luxman sound, warm and sweet, somewhat tube like without over doing it. Check out the old P1u thread. The value is currently there as there are several used on ebay from Japan for around 1g US. The only thing it doesn't have is balanced headphone out. The 750u is more evenly balanced as whitefang explained and has more power but goes for over 2k on ebay. Mk2 goes for over 3k. Occasionally they come up for sale here so I would definetly recommend chilling with a P1u in the meantime until a 750u becomes available in your price range.

Jun 25, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #149 of 180
I followed the story of the p750u and I understood the mk2 was made due to the lack of some components, if you look at the details it is identical to the first version all these differences shouldn't really exist.

Jun 26, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #150 of 180
I followed the story of the p750u and I understood the mk2 was made due to the lack of some components, if you look at the details it is identical to the first version all these differences shouldn't really exist.
750u and 750u mk2 are vastly similar, they has the same power supply and power amp module inside. Power output and spec are the same.
But the feedback circuitry is different, how feedback is implemented in an amplifier has direct impact on sound.
Even on the official webpage there is different name of the circuitry ODNF-4.0 and ODNF-u (whatever it means, the difference could be subtle, but they are not identical)

I compared them side to side, the p750u mk2 is not really an upgrade of the p750u, but it does have a slightly warmer sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back