Luxman P-750u headphone amp
Sep 26, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #151 of 180
Hi Amos,

We were talking about your review in the P-700u thread also.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/luxman-p700u-headphone-amplifier-thread.651816/page-26#post-16707953

I have been a fan of the Luxman headphone amps since the P-1u / SQN-100 in 2007/2008, tried out all kinds of amps along the road and since a few years ended up with the DA-06 / P750u / SQ-N150 combo. The SQ-N100/10/150 is a magnificent tube amp with plenty of power out of it's SE headphone output but I do use it for headphones from the 12W speaker taps as well.

A few questions for some advice on purchases I am pondering about and for your insight since I really place value in your opinion and have done so for the past 10 years:
- I think you never tried a SQ-N100/10/150. Would you be able to try one with the Susvara? According to the numbers the 12+12W output should be ample as I often see Susvaras driven by 3-4W 2A3 amps or 9W 300B amps from the speaker taps.
- What's your opinion on the McIntosh MHA200 since I can add one for a really fair price. I'm worried it's not worth it and some 300B amp would be a better addition to my system though I have no idea which one. I know one but it's 15K ... :wink:
- LCD-5 vs. D8000Pro?
- What do you think about the Arya, would it be a good addition when looking for something that has a lot of air and space?
- Is the LCD-XC 2021 as one of the few available closed-back planars a still a good headphone these days, could it compete with something like my LCD-GX that I enjoy a lot? The GX is no slouch, I found it to be like a crossover between the LCD-4 and MX4 at a bargain price.

Oh and by the way, if you go to the Tokyo show please do keep us updated on Luxmans plans for their dac and headamp, not much info here in Europe.
Do you still have sq n150?

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #155 of 180
Anyone compare their Luxman to a Schiit Mjolnir 3?

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #157 of 180
When I tried both, the Luxman is most definitely a step above, the mk2 even more so. But take that with a grain of salt as I was only using d8000pro to test with. Other headphones may be better on the M3
Thanks.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:02 PM Post #158 of 180
I really miss the 750u. It's a wonderful piece.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #159 of 180
There's one on the used market right now on USAM

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #160 of 180
I regret selling mine.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:02 PM Post #163 of 180
Has anyone compared 750 to holo bliss ?

Apr 6, 2024 at 12:45 PM Post #164 of 180
Currently running both the Luxman P-750u MKII w/DA-06 as well as the Holo Bliss KTE w/Spring 3 KTE with several high-end headphones (Caldera, Susvara, Utopia 2022). Picked-up each of these head-amp + DAC pairs for ~$5.5-6k on the secondary market.

Holo: Qobuz -> Roon Nucleus -> Holo Red -> Holo Spring 3 KTE (NOS) -> Holo Biss KTE -> 4-pin XLR Moon Silver Dragon -> Caldera/Susvara/Utopia
Luxman: Qobuz -> Roon Nucleus -> Lumin U2 -> Luxman DA-06 -> Luxman P-750u MK II (120v -> 100v) -> 4-pin XLR Moon Silver Dragon -> Caldera/Susvara/Utopia

I've been a big fan of Luxman build quality and craftsmanship for a while, though I was surprised by the poor measurements (ASR) of the SQ-N150 desktop tube-amp. This led me to the Bliss/Spring combo as it is one of the cleanest measuring (GoldenSound, ASR) stacks I've seen.

Based on the exceptional Holo measurements, I anticipated a significant 'a ha' difference in comparison with the P-750p/DA-06. However, that has not been my experience. While the Bliss/Spring stack is excellent, as widely reviewed, I still prefer the overall experience of the Luxman stack.

Both Luxman and Holo offer beautiful, clean hardware designs with top-tier components. It's hard not to fall in love with the visual aesthetics of this gear. Both provide satisfying tactile (hefty, well-machined knobs and buttons) and auditory (relay click) feedback, as well.

1712419432124.png

While the Luxman is a bit behind in headphone/IEM connectivity (no 4.4mm jack), the P-750u still offers excellent power with low-noise (116dB balanced) and I've had no trouble driving the Susvara (60Ω, 83 dB). I rarely use more than half of the capability at typical listening volume.

While the Spring 3 KTE R2R DAC measures and reviews really well, I'm still pleased with the sound from the older Luxman DA-06 (dual Burr-Brown PCM1792).

Ultimately, the Luxman sound aligns well with my listening preferences - clean, precise highs complemented by well-defined mid-bass and deep, black background.

Both of these stacks offer outstanding, luxurious listening experiences and either would make an excellent end-game desktop system.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #165 of 180
Currently running both the Luxman P-750u MKII w/DA-06 as well as the Holo Bliss KTE w/Spring 3 KTE with several high-end headphones (Caldera, Susvara, Utopia 2022). Picked-up each of these head-amp + DAC pairs for ~$5.5-6k on the secondary market.

I've been a big fan of Luxman build quality and craftsmanship for a while, though I was surprised by the poor measurements (ASR) of the SQ-N150 desktop tube-amp. This led me to the Bliss/Spring combo as it is one of the cleanest measuring (GoldenSound, ASR) stacks I've seen.

Based on the exceptional Holo measurements, I anticipated a significant 'a ha' difference in comparison with the P-750p/DA-06. However, that has not been my experience. While the Bliss/Spring stack is excellent, as widely reviewed, I still prefer the overall experience of the Luxman stack.

Both Luxman and Holo offer beautiful, clean hardware designs with top-tier components. It's hard not to fall in love with the visual aesthetics of this gear. Both provide satisfying tactile (hefty, well-machined knobs and buttons) and auditory (relay click) feedback, as well.

1712419432124.png

While the Luxman is a bit behind in headphone/IEM connectivity (no 4.4mm jack), the P-750u still offers excellent power with low-noise (116dB balanced) and I've had no trouble driving the Susvara (60Ω, 83 dB). I rarely use more than half of the capability at typical listening volume.

While the Spring 3 KTE R2R DAC measures and reviews really well, I'm still pleased with the sound from the older Luxman DA-06 (dual Burr-Brown PCM1792).

Ultimately, the Luxman sound aligns well with my listening preferences - clean, precise highs complemented by well-defined mid-bass and deep, black background.

Both of these stacks offer outstanding, luxurious listening experiences and either would make an excellent end-game desktop system.

Holo chain: Qobuz -> Roon Nucleus -> Holo Red -> Holo Spring 3 KTE (NOS) -> Holo Biss KTE -> 4-pin XLR Moon Silver Dragon -> Caldera/Utopia/Susvara

Luxman chain: Qobuz -> Roon Nucleus -> Lumin U2 -> Luxman DA-06 -> Luxman P-750u MK II (120v -> 100v) -> 4-pin XLR Moon Silver Dragon -> Caldera/Utopia/Susvara

I've got the P750u and P700u and the amount of power out of these units is incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back