Luxman is here
Sep 12, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 39
Oups, just read here that this unit was introduced back in 2002, so it is definitely not new...

I never heard about it before... I understand that it does not retail out of japan (with 100V)...

Too bad !

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #17 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by shamu144 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand that it does not retail out of japan (with 100V)...

Too bad !

Here's a link to the Luxman US distributor: On a Higher Note :: Luxman

Sep 12, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #18 of 39
Sep 12, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #20 of 39
The Opera hasn't made it here yet. I did notice however for sheer detail, DAC1 USB's headphone output still wins. But then the P-1 only has 43 hours on it; the IC and PC only have 22 and 55 hours on them.

Sep 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I "only" paid $1,432 including shipping and duty. It is the 100V version, but fortunately I have a PS Audio P500 Power Plant which lets me adjust output voltage down to (constant) 110V, which is acceptable for this unit based on the info I have gathered so far. The P300 can output 100V and it'd be perfect, maybe even add an Accuphase CD player?
devil_face.gif

There have been a few disadvantages from buying from Japan, notably, I don't understand one word in the owner's manual. In case of malfunction/defect, I'll have to ship it back to Japan, after-sales service, etc....

I have the U.S.-voltage version imported by On A Higher Note. I love this amp. Weird coincidence, tubaman, as I'm in Michigan, too. If you'd like, we can arrange a mini-Meet to compare the two (mine has been used for countless hours, and so would be well beyond any reasonable break-in period).

Here are a couple of pics I took of my Luxman P-1 (larger versions can be seen by clicking on the photos):

Sep 12, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the U.S.-voltage version imported by On A Higher Note. I love this amp. Weird coincidence, tubaman, as I'm in Michigan, too. If you'd like, we can arrange a mini-Meet to compare the two (mine has been used for countless hours, and so would be well beyond any reasonable break-in period).

Sounds like fun, Jude!

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like you can buy the US version at TTVJ:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f36/ne...lineup-346865/

Reading that thread, it looks like Jude bought one and is very impressed with it.

Thanks for the info but in fact I need the EU version. I will try to contact the importer for europe.

Does anybody (Jude perhaps) have compared it against the cream of aftermarket single ended hp amps around here.

Does it work best with all headphones or does it show specific synergy with some of them. If yes, which ones...

It surely looks and feels very serious
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #24 of 39
I heard the Luxman P-1 with Sony Qualia 010 in Tokyo at the Qualia store..... and it was simply amazing. It was just simply amazing. I only wish I had bought the Qualia's at that time.... The sound quality was unbelievable. The sense of air, speed, dynamic range unreal. This of course is most likely the synergy of the Qualia driver's and the Luxman along with the SACD source. All of which were top flight. I'd like to hear the reports of the P1 with other headphones as well.... I look forward to tubaman's comments.

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #25 of 39
Things are about to get more interesting though as Luxman are going to release next month a cheaper and smaller headphone amp called the P-200. Since their press-release is restricted to Japan only, I've mirrored it. I'll start a new thread with a translation shortly, but the technical details are all there. In summary: dual-RCA input with pre-out, 1 1/4" and 1/8" headphone socket, push-pull class-A and the size of a B4 sheet of paper (ie: smaller than the large P-1).

Sep 15, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #26 of 39
This amp looks absolutelly gorgeous, and was one of the amps that catched my eye since I joined headfi, not sure why I never decided to jump on it...
frown.gif

Definitelly a nice looking amp and I bet that it will sound very good too, the few Luxman speaker amps I have heard were all top notch sounding machines...
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #27 of 39
I'm already packing up the Opera. The P-1 has much more body. It also has more height (although the Opera has just much much width). The tone sounds purer. Comparison was done on HD650 with Equinox. If anyone wants to know anything just let me know.

Sep 30, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #28 of 39
What's the Luxman like in regards to Pace, Rhythm & Timing?

I know it's a warm amp but is it good for Rock & Metal as well as Jazz, et al?

Also, is it a detailed amp? As in, really lets you pick out other instruments and lets you hear things you never heard before?

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the Luxman like in regards to Pace, Rhythm & Timing?

I know it's a warm amp but is it good for Rock & Metal as well as Jazz, et al?

Also, is it a detailed amp? As in, really lets you pick out other instruments and lets you hear things you never heard before?

I'll start by disclaiming that my system is highly tweaked - I use fuse, footers, weights, cable lifter, etc.

Shortly after I received the P-1 I compared it to using the DAC1 USB's headphone out - and the DAC1 USB was more detailed. With more than 300 hours of playtime on the P-1 (I also leave it constantly on), I compared again; they are now both very detailed. The P-1 just as detailed, and more appropriately and pleasantly so because the sound is fuller and richer than DAC1 USB's headphone output. Comparing to the home amps I used to own, the detail department is at least on par with them. Overall, I'd say the P-1 has lush, warm, relaxed sound - the kind of sound I can listen to pretty much anything for hours.

I found that swapping the power cord changes the character significantly. Comparing 3 different power cords, the resultant sound ranged from Virtual Dynamics Power 1's more neutral, clean, clear sound to PS Audio Statement SC's masculine, T-Rex-like bass, to Audience Power Chord E's more relaxed pace and rhythm which allows the music to flow, although it does soften the sound a little bit.

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #30 of 39
Thanks for the impressions.

If I were to get it I would be importing from Japan and use a step-down converter as we go on 240Hz here.

I believe PriceJapan (whom I used to get my JVC HP-DX1000) sell good quality power converters with the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back