Luxman DA-200
Dec 28, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #62 of 95
Hi all
Here is the translated from luxman.jp

http://translate.google.fr/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.luxman.co.jp%2Fproduct%2Faa_da200.html

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #63 of 95
I think I'm going to pick this thing up ....

To see how much it weighs! :p

Ok, lame joke, but seriously we get raped on most import dacs when it comes to pricing. This looks like the perfect device to replace my Onkyo SE-200 Ltd sound card and Little Dot 1+ unit, I can feed the balanced outs to my CEC amp, sweet!

Will be a nice upgrade and can sell off my components for some descent custom IEM's ... tempting

Damn you head-fi!

I'm planning to get one within a couple months and will try and post my impressions, whatever its worth.

-Donny

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #64 of 95

I wonder where Lux will be made now that IAG own it (along with a heap of other Name companies that they have taken over).

I wonder if the price will drop when it is made in China.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #65 of 95

Can't say but this one is clearly made in Japan as per back diagram on the link posted earlier. Still leaning towards getting this but looks like I may need a step-down transformer when I take it back with me to Canada one day.
Quote:

I wonder where Lux will be made now that IAG own it (along with a heap of other Name companies that they have taken over).

I wonder if the price will drop when it is made in China.

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #66 of 95
Audio Cubes II has it listed for $2200 including a 1000W voltage transformer and the Luxman D-05 is  $3,799.99.

So IF the DA-200 sounds close to the D-05 you can save some money.  The D-05 should sound better but without having both will never know.

If you can get it in Japan then you can save more.

http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_DA-200_USB_DA_Converter.html

Back in 2004 I bought a Luxman L-505f (model before L-505u) thru Audio Cubes II and never had any problems with the unit or transaction with ACII.  There was no US Luxman dealer then and I would not have been able to afford them with another $1000 or more added on.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #68 of 95
The problem is they tend to be 100V only, possibly to stop people doing exactly that.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #69 of 95
Not really a big deal to me though. I have a isolation transformer that can output any voltage. This and the Perfectwave are on my short list but the headamp is a plus.
I checked Rakuten and the price was ~$1,900 in-store, not sure how much it is now.

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #70 of 95
I'm intrigued by that 1000W voltage transformer. My recently acquired Luxman P-1u came with a 60W voltage transformer (the P-1u draws 19W at most). I plan on getting a 300W transformer for it, but simply because of better build quality, not because I feel it needs it.

I wonder if any of the more tech-savvy people among you know if there is any point to having a 1000W transformer for a piece of electronics that also seems to never draw more than 19W. Is it simply complete overkill, or is there a reason I'm not aware of?

Feb 19, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #71 of 95
From my own experience, having extra wattage is always a plus. I'm using 2 transformers, 1kW and 2.5kW. All the DACs are fed by the 1kW and amps by the 3.5kW. A little overkill but itt's a relief in mind that my setup never lacks power.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #72 of 95

Quote:
From my own experience, having extra wattage is always a plus. I'm using 2 transformers, 1kW and 2.5kW. All the DACs are fed by the 1kW and amps by the 3.5kW. A little overkill but itt's a relief in mind that my setup never lacks power.

Thanks! I can certainly share the sentiment that overkill brings peace of mind.
biggrin.gif
In that case I might just get a 1000W version as wel.

May 31, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #75 of 95
I just picked this up 2 days ago, I will post my impressions after a couple hundred hours of burn-in. Out of the box it sounds quite different from the Demo unit I had auditioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back