Luxman DA-200
Oct 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #16 of 95

Quote:
Well when it comes out you'll have to post pictures and give us a wee little review.

Any word on when it'll be available?

I've been wanting to try the Luxman the P-1u and SQ-N100 for a while now. Unfortunately I have a hard time justifying yet another amp purchase, especially after placing an order for a Leben. A high-end DAC on the other hand is something I've been very curious about. I'd be running it off of my MacBook Pro more than likely.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #17 of 95
I think it comes out in a month or so.  And here's the thing, once you get the DA-200, its only logical to go ahead and get the whole family.  A macbook into the DA-200, feeding the SQ-N100 and P1u.  Me thinks its a rather simple use of logic actually!

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #18 of 95
How come Luxman doesn't make any balanced headphone amps? Everyone who have balanced setups are saying its better than single ended.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 95
I think the P-1u has balanced inputs but no balanced outputs. You don't need balanced outputs though to necessarily enjoy the benefits of a balanced source. It comes down to how it's implemented, and Luxman certainly knows what they're doing. 

Besides, there are notable cases of non-balanced amps being better than a lot of balanced ones. Manley 300B and Stingray, Yoshino EAR HP4, and Leben CS300 to name a few.

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #20 of 95
Maybe those amps could be even better if they were balanced? I have an amp that accepts balanced but has 1/4 output jack (Auditor) I thinking its balanced all the way to the output jack.

Oct 28, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Wild /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
.Sup said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

yeah, here you at least pay for something unlike with other manufacturers who sell "empty space" for lots of €€€  
redface.gif

You mean like the Bryston BDA-1 "Hi- End" DAC...yes, the one I paid $3200 for...

Bit off-topic but seriously, is there this much empty space on the inside of the Bryston BDA-1??

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #22 of 95
Well I guess I'll derail this thread further.

Is there a reason that a product should be filled to the brim with parts? And if so, could it be explained why more parts, stuff in the signal path could be a good thing?

That's not to say there aren't really great designs with tons of complexity that sound awesome. But remember the same applies to products with fewer parts. Sometimes simplicity wins out, sometimes not.

Discrimination based on part count, part type, tube/transistor, topology, or look are simply stupid. The only thing that matters at the end of the day is worth, does a product produce sound equal to, or exceeding it's monetary price?

I would bet you could find tons of customers that are hap with the sound of their "empty" product.

I've owned an ALO Amphora that had a board the size of a match box, and it was the best amp sonically I've yet heard. Nothings even come close.

Just say'n is all

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #25 of 95

Quote:
How come Luxman doesn't make any balanced headphone amps? Everyone who have balanced setups are saying its better than single ended.

Balanced headphone connection is not an industry standard and there is no (that I know of) stock balanced headphones. Balanced headphones, even if technically a superior concept, is a niche product category for enthusiasts.

Stax doesn't count
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #26 of 95

Quote:
there is no (that I know of) stock balanced headphones.

There's one: the CEC HP-53FB (But the only Headfier who has tried it said it sounded like crap, sadly...).

Nov 6, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #29 of 95
The Luxman is a DAC and a amp so it is going to fill up the whole thing.  If it was just the DAC then it would not be as full. 

I would love to get the D-05 but don't have the money
blink.gif
but this looks to be about half the cost of a D-05 so I think it will be very popular!!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back